Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've begun to notice that, both in real life and sometimes on this forum, people tend to jump to the conclusion that I'm not the brightest Crayola in the box, either because of the way I act or because they know I'm an ENFP.

Obviously, I'm constantly rambling about God-knows-what, am extremely messy, procrastinate to no end, and struggle to complete tasks on time, or complete them at all. Someone who sees that (especially NTs, who I find are most guilty of this) likely sees a head full of air. Add the fact that I love fashion and dressing nicely, adore cheesy tales of romance, and let my emotions rule my decision-making processes... and the false perception is built upon even further.

Am I alone in this? I realize intelligence isn't a prerequisite among ENFPs, but my observation is that a huge chunk of us, at least here, are pretty damn smart. And I would consider myself to be a part of that chunk. People make these judgments about me, but they don't know that I'm writing a novel (pretty competently), or that I tutored calculus for three years, or that my SAT score was the best at my high school at the time, or that I read literature for fun. (I'm really not trying to brag, and I apologize if that last bit came across as so, but I'm only trying to illustrate my point that the impressions some people have of ENFPs are totally false.)

Frankly, it's getting a little tiring.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or frustrations?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I used to be that way until this last summer I worked a couple double shifts with "airheads" (both women by coincidence, but I'm sure I'd find the same about guys) and it really changed me. They were a lot like you, as you described, dressed nicely, into sappy romance, etc. But I realized there are different types of intelligence.

The main turning point was when we were working and the girl I was working with (nicknamed barbie, seriously, and she looked like one too) suggested I sell her phone number to guys. She saw me trying to convince people to tip (me and one of my coworkers kind of have a challenge of who can get the most tips) and although that may SEEM whorish, it was actually genius. She totally played it up too, make eye contact and chat them up and what not, she showed a HUUUUUGE amount of emotional intelligence, which as she demonstrated is just as useful as logic and reasoning.

That might not have been the best example, but between that and countless other things I noticed that day, no one is stupid.

People just don't like what they don't understand (i.e. emotional intelligence). Man, I could go on for days on this but I guess I'll just leave it at that.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I don't? Especially knowing they are ENFP's. However I have noticed my ST friends get on my ENFP friend a lot for his lack of attention to details and may call him idiot from time to time. ST's can be very inaccurate for being T's :bored:

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
Well, I actually come off as really smart since I remember tons of random facts about everything. Plus my friends knowing I'm highly educated at post-secondary. That said, I know I AM naive at times (on things that seem pretty big I guess) and to newer acquaintances they really wonder if I'm an airhead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I actually come off as really smart since I remember tons of random facts about everything.
Same with me! However, when I'm not sperging random facts, I suppose I could seem pretty ditzy. When I was younger (middle school), I was teased a lot because people assumed I was a total airhead. I can see how they came to that conclusion - If someone attempts to initiate a conversation with me when I'm staring off into space/daydreaming, it'll take me a while to get out of my own world and actually have an intelligent conversation. :tongue:

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
Viva,

I totally relate. In person, I come off as innocent and ditzy at times. People think I'm naiive, but it's further from the truth. In fact, I use it as my advantage. If I'm going to be judged so easily, it only says so much about how much I"m willing to put up with being around a certain vibe or negative energy.

I like to keep things playful, but when that exterior gets mistaken for something else (underestimated), it allows me to people read a wee-bit more!

My motto: Never underestimate people. Some people will play dumb, but in actuality, they are not. Some people may be playful, but deep down inside, they're pretty serious about certain things.. and often times, the general thinking is 'deducing' people in a linear, black & white fashion, which is a fallacy in and of itself.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Usually people see me as an intelligent person from the start so I definitely don't come off as an airhead. Most people peg me as scatterbrained which I'll have to agree with :confused:

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
No, never. However, if an ENFP is experiencing this, I suggest it's more about a lack of clear boundaries and the inability to express yourself rationally when people have crossed your line. This can make you seem like a "pushover" and a target of all kinds of ridicule.

Assertive training really helps with this. You should be able to set your boundaries if anyone treats you with disrespect or in a condescending manner.

Next time you get an INTJ boyfriend :wink: or friend, ask them to help you study rhetoric. In my experience, they are incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get this a lot--almost always from ENTPs!! I happen to have several ENTPs in my life, and they make the same assumptions about me that you describe. And I am intelligent--I have always been curious about the world, and I enjoy learning about things. I tend to have knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, am really good at abstract concepts, and I have always been driven to do well. One ENTP in particular has a very hard time reconciling these things with the fact that I am unable to focus on the practical details of daily life. Deadlines, schedules, paying the bills, locking my car doors . . . that sort of thing always seems to escape me, despite my wealth of useless knowledge, LOL.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
What really pisses me off is when I'm zoning out people always think I'm high on something. I have a bad habit of not paying attention to boring subjects and show little emotion sometimes. Or when blank out or forget what I'm saying people ask me "Are you ok?" "I'm like yea i'm just zoning out." I think some ENFPs have the same problem as i do of thinking too much inside there minds and not putting it out on paper or drawings, graphs ect. People say I'm extremely talented at many things but I waste my time too much. People also tell me I'm a smart but lazy types. I've effortlessly done 3 years of high school so far and manage a 3.0 but this year im puttting in a little effort and I'm getting A's. People tell me if I TRY just a LITTLE i can get anything done. As for my intelligence I'm a excellent reader, I scored 85 on the ASVAB, 21-23 range on ACT 2100 on SAT, I comprehend basic Physics,Chemistry and Biology, Especially Marine Biology. I'm decent at math but my number one talent is my patience and interpersonal relationships that works out soo well for me in Public Safety as a EMT Intern. So in summary if this was tl;dr I'm a airhead but I can focus when needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a bad habit of not paying attention to boring subjects.
Hahahaha--there are subjects that do this to me too . . . primarily money/finance. Anything involving less conceptual information and more little mundane details. I start to lose focus when people want to talk to me about this stuff, and I can feel myself sort of glaze over. I don't even always hear everything that is being said. It's a totally rude habit, and it's a little disconcerting to me because there are times when these details really do matter, and I'm constantly missing them and then asking people to repeat them.

·
Banned
75 Posts
The Ditzy Genius trope on TVtropes fits me to a tee.

Reactions: The Sundancer

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,127 Posts
Yep, happens ALL the time. Funny thing is, they are really, really wrong. I usually let them hold onto their misimpression. Funny when they find out, usually from someone else, how mistaken they were.

What parts of "blonde", "doctor", and "ENFP" don't go Together? Geesh!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yup. Though people quickly change their minds when they talked to me for more then 10 minutes. I am actually really intelligent haha. I think it's funny when people think I am dumb so for the most part I let them because I really don't care. I know I am smart, and they usually find this out pretty fast. It's really hilarious when they do find out I am smart. They tend not to know how to act around immediately after. It makes me giggle xD
This ENFP pretty much says it all in his video:
To sum it up around 2:40 he says something like "We're actually really really smart people, but nobody believes us!". His goes on to say later on at 4:10ish that he uses big words a lot and it confuses people, "Because I am really really really smart but it doesn't show."

I relate to this guy so much xD except most of the time I try to be focused and consistence with my thoughts. I have a theory that the reason why so many ENFPs appear ditsy and tend to drift off topic when they film themselves is because we are so use to talking to people. When we talk to other people face-to-face it helps us focus our thoughts more clearly and allows us to be more articulate. We think externally. So when we are by ourselves and talking out loud, such as when we are filming ourselves, we can not see our physical audience and thus lose the focus we get when talking face-to-face. In this way we are more like projecting our internal thoughts that we use when we are thinking internally as apposed to using our more clear external thoughts. I think this is why ENFP appear ditsy and mentally disorganized in videos. Because we are physically projecting the thought process we use inside our own heads instead of the thought process we use with people, if that makes any sense. Anyway that is just my theory :proud:

·
Registered
198 Posts
My goodness gracious somebody on the same boat as me! My gym teacher/coach gets a kick out of making jokes about how "bouncy, airy, cute and naive" I am. Hey, I just enjoy life and like to notice rainbows--maybe even tell tall tales. That does not insinuate I'm some simple-minded wishy washy being that falls for every line in the book.
Yes, I love fashion--oh snap she's girly and stupid. Now I'm a stereotypical cheerleader.
Some may find it surprising how well-read I am, and are astounded that I possess any form of intelligence. It's insulting to my character. Am I purposely portraying myself as a ditz because others wouldn't understand my depth? Or just because it's a little more likable ;)

·
Banned
511 Posts
My best-friend is an ENFP. I think she is one of the funniest people I've ever met and she does do some really goofy stuff and is totally random. She appears airheaded, but she's fiercely intelligent. She made it on the Dean's list in nursing school for God's sake.

I think society is stupid in equating that goofy fun = airhead. Every ENFP I've met has been very intelligent (not to say there aren't dumb ones), but also has a great sense of humour.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Too many people confuse ENFPs with ESFPs. At first impressions they do seem very similar though! Once you get them talking about philosophy or metaphysics, it becomes easy to sort out the airheads from the eggheads.

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
I used to be called ditzy in about 6th grade by some of my classmates. Which was funny, because I had some of the best grades in the class. I had never even gotten a B+ or lower (except in "conduct", because I talked and couldn't stay still during class, also known as ADD). /shrug/ I still don't get it.

People don't see me that way anymore, however. Perhaps it's because I'm less outgoing than I used to be. I find that people associate being outgoing, friendly, and extroverted with shallowness and lack of depth, which is so far from that truth.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've never been called stupid/airheaded (scatterbrained, def.), but sometimes I'm afraid I come off to people that way; my thoughts aren't always articulated well to people I'm not comfortable/familiar with. Most people who actually take the time to sit down and actually talk to me think I'm pretty brilliant, though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My best friend is an ENFP and everyone thinks she is an air head/ditzy, but she is one of the smartest people I know. She just "gets" things that others don't see right away or never will. She is so observant that she can read situations and people really well. She isn't ditzy in an ESFP way (always babbling about nothing). She is more lost in her own thoughts, processing everything, and that's why people question her intelligence. I think ENFPs are one of the best MBTI types to be; they have a way of looking at the world for what it really is.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts