Personality Cafe banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
I just got back from a 5 day camping/fishing trip. While I enjoy fishing, I really don't like camping much. I find everything from the cold, or heat, bugs, lack of hygiene such as you'd find in a tent or trailer, exposure to the elements, etc. to be a very Se experience. Therefore it's pretty off-puting to me, yet so many sensor types seem to enjoy this pastime.

Do you like, or do you dislike, the camping experience?
Noo I love it 馃槏

Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
I've perpetually loved camping. I've always seen it as an adventure. My parents loved camping so they started me off at a very wee age. I've had some great times when on these treks. Long lost trails, the smell of a campfire, and viewing a thousand fireflies over the lake. I can laugh, sing songs, tell ghost stores, and eat smores. I guess when my memories of fun and relaxation revolve around an event it sticks. Like camping, food, drawing, swimming, and hard covered books always will make the pleasure center of my brain light up. Speaking about the food I have a pretty scrumptious peach cobbler recipe that I can fix in a campfire. I can go in comfort or just hike in a backpack with minimum comfort. I've even gone camping for nearly six months with my Ex in Canada. One of my favorite ones was camping and canoeing down a river with friends. It's almost a necessity for my spirit to be in the wilderness for a couple of days with someone I love.

Registered
I like that you interact with people on these threads not just answering the host but asking questions of other people who respond. It's a good trait you have.
I love that about @ai.tran.75 too, and Ai, I realize I didn't ask you back. What's your favorite camping memory?

Reactions: Moby

Registered
There is something very freeing about camping which only us modern people living in decent houses can appreciate, lol.
When I was a teen we lived in a tent in the woods of Maine for 3 months. It was one of the funnest parts of my life - nothing to do but read crates of books from the local library under the trees near a soothing river... until fall rolled around and it got cold. Then the water was freezing over and my air mattress was leaking every night depositing my butt on the very cold ground. Ever tried blowing up a mattress half asleep in the dark with shivering hands/arms?
It was rough, but fun, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

A few years later I took my mom on a flight into the mountains north of Boise, where the campground itself included the grass landing strip that served as the airport for the town of Garden Valley. The caretaker / tower operator / tour guide came out to meet us in a - lawnmower! - to help take our luggage to the campsite, lol.
Setting up our tent, I went to upend the air mattress box to start making the bed, and out of the box falls a whole bunch of paperwork. Apparently the box had been used for storage and the actual mattress was still at home. Mom was NOT happy. Her version of camping absolutely includes air mattresses :p
The next day we spent driving around in the campground rental car which was a Cadillac like 60 years old, looking at the town and a way down to the huge long river for our planned fishing. We ended up going up a thin dirt trek that winded up a mountain, with no way to turn around until you were all the way at the top, which is where the car coming down almost hit us off the side of the mountain. That's where I got my first grey hairs at 17, LOL.
The trip ended with me taking a last minute bathroom trip before leaving, where the big heavy spring action door caught one of my fingers on the way out and broke it... right before I had to fly us home. Snort.

Now camping with horses is a lot funner鈥 I always wanted to take mine on a long cross country type of trip but didn't get the chance. Someday though! Getting out in nature without all the luxuries connects us with ourselves.

Registered
Woah, are you a chopper pilot??
LOL, no, small planes... I have my private license, but only ever used it for fun (moving up is out of my price range, sadly :( )

Reactions: NIHM and Fru2

Registered
I dont think its Se related - but more Si
Si takes in the 5 senses whereas Se acts it out
I think any function can play into enjoying the outdoor or camping - Se enjoys quick fast outward gratification which is different than enfp a enjoy scenery - but perhaps it's just me

I like taking in the view - the smell - the warmth of the fire during night time and the light breeze of wind morning time
Getting lost within thoughts day dreaming or reading on the hammock during the day time
Gathering around with friends around the campfire playing truth or dare or 2 truth and 1 lie ( no function can describe that)

Whereas my husband enjoys hunting - archery shooting down glass bottles .
My esfp cousin hates camping and prefer the beach along with many Sp users I know

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Actually, from an Se users POV, that is rather inaccurate.

If we are to boil it down to it's essence, "sensing" is about bodily senses.
It's not so much about acting something out, as it is about taking something [e.g. an experience] in.

Se is drawn to the intensity of the experience. (low stacked Se - more easily overwhelmed - I believe)

Si on the other hand is more on the personal (or subjective) experience the object/experience creates.

On a different note, I love camping to. Even if it may be a bit more rugged, I sleep better in a tent.

Reactions: Sour Roses and NIHM

Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
Actually, from an Se users POV, that is rather inaccurate.

If we are to boil it down to it's essence, "sensing" is about bodily senses.
It's not so much about acting something out, as it is about taking something [e.g. an experience] in.

Se is drawn to the intensity of the experience. (low stacked Se - more easily overwhelmed - I believe)

Si on the other hand is more on the personal (or subjective) experience the object/experience creates.

On a different note, I love camping to. Even if it may be a bit more rugged, I sleep better in a tent.
Tent snuggling is always the best.

See my Si at work, attaching personal experience to an object or moment.

Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
:eek:h: Oh, but don't you wish you knew? :kitten:
INFJ and a pilot? Quick, run for it. I'll try to save you from all the ENFPs picking up the scent of a female INFJ willing to fly them to travels unseen. You would be like the perfect mate. lol When they start to catch on you'll be doomed.

Just kidding. Think of them as fluffy bunnies throwing themselves at you. Nothing to really be alarmed at.

Registered
@miby, I鈥檓 with you: Zero interest in camping. None. I feel the same way about hiking. I think nature is gorgeous and smells good but I grow quickly bored and annoyed by the physical discomfort. I鈥檇 much rather walk down the streets of Granada or Paris, people watching and listening to an interesting podcast on my headphones than tramp about in the wilderness. I鈥檇 much rather lose myself in incredible art at a museum than in a forest.

exploring space
ENFP
I haven't camped many times but I liked it and I enjoy being in nature, in general. It brings inspiration and good feelings. I have a house in a rural area, surrounded by farms and the sea so I'm used to the bugs, but it's a serious concern when out in nature for sure. Hygiene is more of a habit so I think it's up to us to kinda adapt for a bit and see the lack of it in a more positive way, besides you can prepare for it better by bringing cleaning supplies and stuff. Tho americans are a bit obsessed with showering right? lol
Also you can just choose a camping site that is equipped with toilets and showers and have a more moderate experience, no?

Administrator
It's going to depend on who I'm with and what type of camping it is.

Camping in the wilderness while backpacking is different than camping at a KOA or with a large group of people.

My favorite camping experiences: Baja Mexico, on a small secluded beach off a dirt road. All kinds of tide pools--I saw octopus, and a coyote carefully stepping rock to rock through the surf to look for food? A lot of giant caracol shells in the shallow waters, and scattered on the beach.

Baja was interesting--I saw sand dollars larger than we have here up north, and when the tide goes out there are all kinds of strange creatures in the sand.

Camping on the beach is easy because you don't have to worry about sleeping on hard/rocky ground. There also is usually a lot of food nearby if you eat fish. Making bonfires on the beach to cook the fish and shellfish you catch is also very pleasant.

Alabama Hills: Eastern side of he Sierras with really interesting giant boulders, where a lot of westerns were filmed. There were feral horses there and they would come up for apples and pears. Swimming holes and rivers--peace and quiet. Large junebugs and blooming white yucca flowers. Interesting archaelogical sites in the owens valley.

I also like cabins though--they are a bit easier and way more luxurious. Cross country skiing is beautiful. You can just glide over the sparkling, rainbow terrain. Ice crystals are beautiful. It's a bit intimidating being in an environment that's really kind of hostile (because you could freeze or fall into an icy river), but it's still extremely beautiful.

So it's going to depend whether the 'camping trip' is sitting around drinking beer with loud people who like to listen to super loud country music and just bbq all the time, or if it's exploring the wilderness and getting peace and quiet.

I like some types of camping.

I tend to think of camping and sleeping in a cabin as similar--here's something that looks amazing and like it could be part of a fun camping trip.

Like I have no idea what context of this video is, but in my mind they went out exploring nature all day, gathered a bunch of morels, then when they were resting back at the cabin in the evening they found the morels releasing spores. (it could be similar if they were in a tent and not a cabin--but who knows, could be their house).

Nature can be very surprising and interesting, since it's always changing and full of secrets. That just looks like so much fun. I want to find nature's secrets too, and camping facilitates that.

Spam-I-am
I do like to pitch a tent every now and than:shocked:
I haven鈥檛 camped in 40 years
My idea of camping is staying at a out of state hotel with a king sized bed, air and cable television
Oddly enough I was thinking of posing this question on here
I know many a people鈥檚 aged 45-70 who camp 15+ times a year

I do adore being outside and going for the occasional walk deep into the woods
I do so to enjoy the solitude while observing nature

Registered
ESTJ
I don't know what's up with that.

I adore camping. I enjoy being out in nature, seeing the scenery, experiencing the wild, water, trees and greens. Even all the uncomfortable aspects of it like bugs, heat, lack of electricity and man-made stuff makes it a nice and adventurous experience for me.

It inspires and motivates ideas in me let's say for a book I'm writing or just plain imagination in general.

My ESTJ dad and brother go camping and back-packing on the regular.

I highly doubt that's strictly an Se thing.

Any type can like or dislike camping.

I'm adventurous and moving on from novelty to novelty...You know? Like a cliche ENFP gal lol.

Registered
Like Benevolent said, the outhouse/ bathroom situation bugs the hell out of me. I'm no good at fishing as I have too much empathy to be willing to harm creatures in that way. But as for the rest, I used to enjoy camping as a child and I really wish I could do more outdoor survival type stuff. I'm soft from living indoors all the time and I despise being soft.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts