Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor of mine is currently giving me informal driving lessons. Now what I would like to know is this: Did any other ENFPs (assuming that I actually am an ENFP) have these problems while learning how to drive? Or is it just me? :crazy:

*Getting confused while backing. (I'm a lot better with this now, but it took a while for me to realize that I should act as if I'm going forward while turning the wheel in the opposite direction that I would normally. I still have to think about which way I'm actually going though. ^_^U)
*Being too hesitant.
*Getting my wires crossed and accidentally hitting the gas instead of the break or vice versa.
*Always having to be reminded to look in the rear-view mirror at the beginning of each lesson.
*Getting easily distracted. :crazy:

To go on a slight tangent, on a cognitive functions test I once took, this question appeared for Se:
When involved in a sport I am able to "be the ball" or when driving I am able to "be the car."
Se is supposed to be our weakest function. I think this brief exchange that I had with my neighbor may be an official confirmation that I am indeed an ENFP:

Neighbor: The car does exactly what it tells you to do.
Me: The car and I don't like each other. :laughing:
Neighbor: The car likes you. You just don't like it. (Or something to that extent.)

Well, at least I can be grateful that I don't drive like this ENFP:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I HATE learning how to drive. (I don't like to use that word unless I have to...) I wish I knew how to do it already. I have the same deal with those issues. And I get more and more tense with every further practice because I am pissed off that I can't catch on quicker, and insecure because someone close to me feels like I should "naturally" have the dimensions of the car in mind already (as far as knowing where you need to be to turn into a parking spot smoothly), and because I haven't caught on to it immediately, I feel like I am performing below-par.

It's hard to keep track of all these things at once....

Long story short to your first question: Yes. Plain and simple. :sad:

Reactions: Zinette

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
I had problems parallel parking but that's it. Canada's driving laws and tests are very, very strict and young people have to pass two very difficult tests to get my licence. I am one of only two people in my grad class to pass both tests on the first try. I did take driver training and was told I had quote: "stunt driver reflexes" I also tend to be pretty confidant while driving.

I'm not trying to brag, believe me I suck at numerous things but I'm happy to say driving isn't one of them. That's good, with Canadian laws and our expensive public insurance 7 years no crash means big savings!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Oh goodness yes. I hated doing Y turns. I don't know why it was so freaking hard. Apparently they aren't for most people And backing up was confusing. I'm easily distracted in general, so it's no surprise it was hard for me to focus while driving. I'd get sensory overload and wasn't sure what to focus on. Changing lanes was a big stressful. I've gotten significantly better with experience. Now my biggest problem is simply patience. I hate being stuck in traffic and I live in quite a congested area.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
My story.. I flunked the vision test (yes- and a senior citizen waiting in line after me- passed). I cried bc that was with corrective vision..

When my eyesight improved and I passed the test, I automatically failed the driving portion right when I drove off the parking lot.

Yes- it can be terrifying for ENFPs, especially in the beginning. It's an panic attack waiting to happen. Looking in the side and rear-view mirrors while stepping on the gas pedal, avoiding oncoming traffic?

Practice. Practice.. I have a quick reaction, which makes me feel a bit safe/confident now!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The constant criticism from whoever is teaching you to drive...the pressure not to fail even once, or you have to try again another day...so many things to remember at once. Yes, it was a nightmare!

The only thing that helps is to practice a lot, until you're comfortable and it becomes easy. The problem is, I didn't get to the point where it became totally comfortable until long after I had my license. I'm so glad that's in my past now.

Anyways, that's not to say I'm a poor driver. I'm actually good at it now. :happy: Except for parallel parking.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I had problems parallel parking but that's it. Canada's driving laws and tests are very, very strict and young people have to pass two very difficult tests to get my licence. I am one of only two people in my grad class to pass both tests on the first try. I did take driver training and was told I had quote: "stunt driver reflexes" I also tend to be pretty confidant while driving.

I'm not trying to brag, believe me I suck at numerous things but I'm happy to say driving isn't one of them. That's good, with Canadian laws and our expensive public insurance 7 years no crash means big savings!
Haha, did I write that? Driving's definitely one of my fortes too. I've been "The Driver" amongst my circle of friends ever since I bought my uncle's 1992 Mercury Topaz in grade 11.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The constant criticism from whoever is teaching you to drive...the pressure not to fail even once, or you have to try again another day...so many things to remember at once. Yes, it was a nightmare!

The only thing that helps is to practice a lot, until you're comfortable and it becomes easy. The problem is, I didn't get to the point where it became totally comfortable until long after I had my license. I'm so glad that's in my past now.

Anyways, that's not to say I'm a poor driver. I'm actually good at it now. :happy: Except for parallel parking.
Luckily for me, my neighbor is a very easy-going guy. And he told me that for what little that I've practiced I'm actually doing quite well. You see, I was a bit afraid to learn how to drive...and my high school didn't have a driver's ed. class. (Apparently it was nixed a long time ago.) The only thing available was one-time a safety class that was required for people under 18 who had recently gotten their permit. Plus, I was afraid that I couldn't balance school with driving lessons. And the person who promised that he would teach me wasn't really able to do so. (I don't want to get into the details here.) So here I am, 20 years old, learning how to drive. ^_^U

Thus far, it seems only female ENFPs have driving issues. :frustrating:
Maybe it's just a female thing in general. :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thus far, it seems only female ENFPs have driving issues. :frustrating:
Sigh. That's really frustrating.

I've heard that guys generally do better at driving because they usually have better spatial awareness...or some such thing.

However, in my little part of the world, I've found that women tend to be the better drivers. :tongue: The guys I know have gotten into a fair number of accidents and seem to be reckless. The girls mostly have no tickets, no accidents, and don't make me worry when they drive.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm actually a really good driver, somehow. No idea why since it seems to contradict my personality. I've never been in an accident or gotten a speeding ticket and I find driving to be relaxing since it gives me time to think.

I do remember having the backing issues when I was learning to drive, though. I also remember struggling to turn on the windshield wipers while driving the first time I ever drove because I couldn't focus on two things at once. Hahaha.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sigh. That's really frustrating.

I've heard that guys generally do better at driving because they usually have better spatial awareness...or some such thing.

However, in my little part of the world, I've found that women tend to be the better drivers. :tongue: The guys I know have gotten into a fair number of accidents and seem to be reckless. The girls mostly have no tickets, no accidents, and don't make me worry when they drive.
I think men's spatial awareness and women's cautiousness may balance each other out. ^_^

·
Registered
79 Posts
I played a lot of driving games (including racing simulators) so I was naturally good at it although there was a few thinks games didn't teach me.

-Changing lanes. for some reason I pressed on the brake when changing lanes.
-Looking in the rear view mirror every 5min which I could care less about but my teacher took off points for.

Other then that I rocked. In fact next summer I'm going to take some racing lessons.. their's a racetrack that does all sorts of levels of lessons. They give you a Mazda 3 and let you go wild.... well as soon as you learn a few tips. :laughing:

I'm really good at the boring stuff too. Most men and women neglect to stop BEFORE the stop sign.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
+1 female enfps with driving issues.

Reactions: Angelic Gardevoir

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe it's just a female thing in general. :frustrating:
I am 29 and I don't have a driving license. I was taking lessons, but sometimes, even when I am "just" walking, I get so lost in my thoughts that I find myself somewhere and I don't know how did I got there [Ni takes over Se I suppose -or I am just nuts^^].

Driving a car... it's just too much, and since I like people in general, I decided that I won't drive. Maybe one day, but I don't feel ready yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
One of the only reasons I passed driver's ed classes is because I talked up the instructor in the car with me every time. You wouldn't believe how many brownie points you get from desperately lonely driver's ed teachers by just asking "how was your day, today :cool:?"

·
Registered
587 Posts
I love to drive and got my driver's license at the tender age of 16 years...drove across the continent twice and then learned to motorcycle a few years back - this was more challenging because you had to get your spacial bubble on and force the Se to happen. You had to drive the moto assuming that nobody sees you so you must be super cautious. This prudence is the trade off to the closest I've come to total exhilaration (except maybe one other topic!).

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
I would hazard to guess that most ENFP men arn't actually good with the spatial aspects of driving. It's my weakest spot, must be because of the "F" I think that's linked to right brain dominance...Spatial is in the left brain

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would hazard to guess that most ENFP men arn't actually good with the spatial aspects of driving. It's my weakest spot, must be because of the "F" I think that's linked to right brain dominance...Spatial is in the left brain
Oh hell yes on that point. Whenever I stop at a stoplight, I'm always wayyy behind the car in front of me, and I always freak a little when I'm a passenger and the driver pulls up extremely close to the car in front, too.

"YOU'RE TOO CLOSE YOU'RE GONNA HIT THAT CAR STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts