Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see if there are any ENFPs that are really, truly 100% happy with their jobs.

If so, what's your job and what specifically do you like about it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've had three full-time jobs with pretty good job security, wages and benefits. The first was as an administrative assistant at a job placement agency, the second was an administrative assistant at a community centre and the third is the one I'm in now as a retail manager.

I have to say I like the retail management job the best, if only because I get a lot more face time with my customers and employees, and it's a really fun, relaxed, easy-going atmosphere. I also work on a really great team of managers, most of whom are more into the organizational and logistic stuff, so I'm free to go out and be the people person. XD

That said, it's REALLY difficult for me to be 100% satisfied with my job. Mostly because I'm always wondering what's next. I don't know if I'll ever really be able to settle on one career path for very long, which is bad news for my pension. :p

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I don't think it's the job as much as the environment that makes an ENFP happy. Jobs with relatively low social tension that allow creative problem solving - not just a strict "it has to be done exactly this way every time" approach - are generally good places for us.

ENFPs also don't seem to have "Work Mode" and "Not Work Mode." There's only one mode, and that's "Fulfilled" mode. Work needs to be something enjoyable and/or valuable to the ENFP.

I can't just go to a crappy job with terrible people just to get a paycheck. Money has value so far as it gives me the freedom to exercise my options, but it's not enough to be the only reason to go somewhere. (If it had an attached value of a dependent or a debt owed, then that would be a different situation).

My INTJ fiance doesn't seem to understand this part (read: he gets it, but it doesn't make sense to him), particularly when it comes to his ENFP brother. My future brother-in-law has no dependents or real debts, so a job has to have inherent value of its own to fulfill him. He gets a new job, he's excited about it, he talks it up to his friends and family. THIS job is going to be awesome. THIS job has all of these features and benefits that the last one lacked. It's like he's trying to make it be fulfilling out of sheer willpower.

What's fulfilling depends on the ENFP. And sometimes what might be fulfilling is too hard, hasn't become available, takes too long, or may just not have occurred yet to some ENFPs....and they end up drifting for a very long time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Short answer: No

Long answer: While do like what I do, I always know there is something else out there that I am more passionate about that would allow me to grow more.

The good thing about my job is that my schedule allows me the time to pursue whatever it is I feel passionate about.

My job is in Automation Engineering.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That said, it's REALLY difficult for me to be 100% satisfied with my job. Mostly because I'm always wondering what's next. I don't know if I'll ever really be able to settle on one career path for very long, which is bad news for my pension. :p
Definitely an ENFP thing - each job is just a pitstop until the next one. Even if I stay there for years, I always think about what's going to come up next.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Lol I work at Sears and let me tell you...it is the worst job ever.

best part in the new superman movie, is the sears store gets annihilated.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I used to be.

I agree with everything @Alysaria said.

If involves creative thinking, lacks uncomfortable social dynamics, gives me some degree of autonomy, pays the bills, allows opportunity for growth and new learning, and does not conflict with my values, I'm pretty pleased.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
What @chimeric and @Alysaria said; all of the above.

I am very happy with my work - it (usually) ticks all those boxes. Research psychologist by trade. The novelty is in the new project while I can develop my expertise.

But a few caveats about work;
-" following your passion" can turn your passion into drudgery. Passion does not always make for satisfying work.
- Newness does not always equal satisfaction since you don't end up capitalising on your hard-won experience.
- it's hard and it's boring but sometimes you just have to do the freakin' work. Grit and determination will yield success.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If involves creative thinking, lacks uncomfortable social dynamics, gives me some degree of autonomy, pays the bills, allows opportunity for growth and new learning, and does not conflict with my values, I'm pretty pleased.
Yeah, and since The Perfect Job (aka one with all the coolness factors above) is pretty darn hard to find, especially for people like us who tend to be "Jack of All Trades and Master of oh-look-a-butterfly" (complete with college minors incompatible with the majors, checkered resumes, and an alarming trend for taking flight if one's ideals are trampled on), I'd say the sentences "I am an ENFP" and "I am disappointed with my current job" are quite likely to come from the same mouths.

Just sayin'

And then there's the newness factor. When I'm new at a workplace, I love everything! After a few months, the cracks start to catch my eye. A year or two in... I can't stand it anymore. Gosh, I'm so lame.

Oh and by the way, I'm pretty dissatisfied with my job right now. But of course, I wasn't when it was new and cool and exciting and there was talk of benefits and promotions and a raise in the near future...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh wow. I'm reading these and thinking 'I know, right? Omigod, yes! I totally do that!'. I get a job, am enamored for the first months, then start to lose that and think about the possibilities.

My current job for example. 'Office Champion' it says on my card - no joke - and my original job description was to basically make the office a great place to work. I keep the kitchen stocked with snacks, decorate for holidays, organize birthdays, do special projects around the office (like painting it fun colors), champion our office culture - typically by starting nerf gun fights and posting hilarious memes in the kitchen. I loved it. I had creativity, I had social interaction, I had autonomy. Then.....the numbers started creeping in. First it was to do payroll while the HR girl was on mat leave. Then it was bank reconcilliations. Then it was month end invoicing. Then it was Accounts Receivable. Now I'm virtually a bookkeeper. Oh, and the boss that seemed so cool at the beginning took a turn for the bi-polar worse and it turns out you never know which Boss you're going to get on a given day: Nice boss or Asshat boss who asks you to document every single task you do in a given day or Douchebag boss that takes away your Christmas bonus for an honest mistake.

Do%20not%20want.jpg

I have never been anywhere long. I'm 33 and I don't have more than 4 years experience doing anything, but have been in many different industries - carpet, benefits administration, education, IT, oilfield equipment, furniture, service, chicken (yes, chicken), and real estate. Whew.

If I could just find someone to pay me oodles of money to oh, I don't know....find good shopping deals? Half finish craft projects? Be a smartass? I'd be gold. GOLD I tell you.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
@TheWildOne and @mamadabinski - I hear you!

I am lucky, I know. i do truly appreciate my work - I've somehow managed to get it mostly right; autonomy, expertise, people-focused, etc. oh, and well-paid. But 100% happy? Bawhahahaha. Nope.

About work...the bad parts...my work team has - at times - been convulsed by conflict (including formal and legal proceedings against each other and other personnel), the projects have been poorly managed, I've gotten bored to the point of forking my eyes out, the amount sheer freakin' paperwork/process/detail work makes me want to chew my arms off....BUT...after sticking with this, I am finally accumulating recognized expertise. So yay me! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hell yes! I work as a server at a nice restaurant and with beautiful girls. Couldn't be happier with my job.

When I'm not talking with my tables, I'm just messing around with my co workers, all while making some serious bucks! Great job, any ExFx would probably enjoy it

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I am very happy with my job :) I just got promoted, too. I'm happy because I love what I do, and it shows. My happiness is infectious. I enjoy teaching children, and I am over-joyed to know for sure that the kids under my care are loved with every ounce of passion I have in my soul. I put my everything into helping raise them to fulfill their greatest potential :)

Kids are so honest and pure. They want to laugh, play, interact with, and learn from you. Children are far more genuine than adults, and their energies and emotions are so raw! They get excited about all of the same things I get excited about... laughter, love, learning, family, quality time, fun, and the list goes on. In my opinion, children are focused on all of the important things. On that level, I identify with children farrrrr more than I do most adults.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts