Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I had some time to think the other day ago, and I was thinking. I think that ENFP's (and probably INFP's as well) would probably detest the miltary. Now before anyone criticizes me for posting this, please listen to my reasoning as to why I believe that most ENFP's would hate the military. Here is why I believe that most ENFP and INFP personalities hate the military....

• It involves strong organization skills that most ENFP's lack.
  • It involves killing and violence, which most ENFP's tend to hate
  • It involves serious planning and self discipline which most ENFP's hate.
  • It involves listening directing to orders and doing something exactly like the are told. From my experience most ENFP's want to put their own creative touch on everything, and the miltary is not a creative person's world.
  • In involves people constantly yelling at you. Which many ENFP's hate as well.

What do you think, I think that most people with Ne and Fi would hate the military, what about you? Oh, and if any ENFP's or INFP's have been in the military, please discuss your thoughts here? Do you hate it? Did you love it? What was it like for you?

·
Registered
587 Posts
TGO - I agree with you. I could not contemplate a career in which I would be put into a situation where I might have to kill someone because someone said that I had to.

I have many friends who are in the military but they are mostly rocket scientists (seriously) or physicians and I asked them if they could kill someone. One friend in particular, comes from a Buddhist faith and his rational response to me is that he is in a position in the military where he would not be in a "combat situation" so he would not have to deal with that ethical dilemma. I said that was a bit of BS because if you are in the military then by definition I would expect those people who do chose that career path would be able to put themselves into a combat situation and potentially kill someone if ordered to do so.

I know that I never could.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here is my opinion on the bullets mentioned:

It involves strong organization skills that most ENFP's lack.
One reason why I think it would be good. It would teach the unorganized to get there act together and be more self disciplined and increase there organization.

It involves killing and violence, which most ENFP's tend to hate
I agree.

It involves serious planning and self discipline which most ENFP's hate.
I'm sure some people would hate this but i would enjoy to get self disciplined really. It would really improve myself when I get out so I can get things I need to get done. You don't really need to go to the military to get this done but it would help. Self discipline is essential in things if you want to get things done. Besides "Disciple is remembering what you want." so make sure you're there for a reason. The number 1 reason I think i would go is having college payed for.

It involves listening directing to orders and doing something exactly like the are told. From my experience most ENFP's want to put their own creative touch on everything, and the miltary is not a creative person's world.
I guess this could improve your listening skills but the rest I agree.

In involves people constantly yelling at you. Which many ENFP's hate as well.
STRONGLY agree. I was an umpire for baseball last year and if anyone has ever been one, you are constantly being yelled at, + when you don't know what you're doing, and I'm sure in the military this is on an extreme scale.

I would only join it for college being paid for like I said. So I would just think to myself everyday, if I was feeling down, "I'm doing this for my future, college...college..college..." things like that to motivate me. It is a high rare chance I would join, so count me as someone not to join.

Just my view on things. Thanks for reading! (if you did:laughing:)

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Although I believe learning self discipline is a good thing, I would hate to be in the military. Furthermore, it is extremely difficult for me to be with a guy who is in or has been in the military. I think we are just way too different.

I do know of at least one ENFP here on the forum who is in the military. That's a trip for me. I mean do you even remain an ENFP if you've done military service? I would think something like that would have a huge affect on your personality. :confused:

Reactions: Linnifae

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Okay, so I had some time to think the other day ago, and I was thinking. I think that ENFP's (and probably INFP's as well) would probably detest the miltary. Now before anyone criticizes me for posting this, please listen to my reasoning as to why I believe that most ENFP's would hate the military. Here is why I believe that most ENFP and INFP personalities hate the military....

• It involves strong organization skills that most ENFP's lack.
  • It involves killing and violence, which most ENFP's tend to hate
  • It involves serious planning and self discipline which most ENFP's hate.
  • It involves listening directing to orders and doing something exactly like the are told. From my experience most ENFP's want to put their own creative touch on everything, and the miltary is not a creative person's world.
  • In involves people constantly yelling at you. Which many ENFP's hate as well.

What do you think, I think that most people with Ne and Fi would hate the military, what about you? Oh, and if any ENFP's or INFP's have been in the military, please discuss your thoughts here? Do you hate it? Did you love it? What was it like for you?
Me personally I think killing anyone is wrong. The thing is I love the military and what they do for us but i do not support the killing of innocents. I myself its hard to belive but I'm joining the US Navy next year as a medical personal and i might be placed on a Hospital ship. Its always been a dream of mine to travel the world and make the world a better place. not with bullets but with band aids and love :proud:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I believe learning self discipline is a good thing, I would hate to be in the military. Furthermore, it is extremely difficult for me to be with a guy who is in or has been in the military. I think we are just way too different.

I do know of at least one ENFP here on the forum who is in the military. That's a trip for me. I mean do you even remain an ENFP if you've done military service? I would think something like that would have a huge affect on your personality. :confused:
Yeah, people tried to get me to join the military, but I have anxiety problems from hell and am medicated for them, and said that I would be a danger to my platoon. Thank God, I wasn't able to join. I think that I would have hated the military. Yes, I would like to see what the military would do to a ENFP person's personality. That has me curious now.

On the other hand, my ENTJ brother (Pulp Fiction Fan) is soon to join the Air Force. He will then go into college and major in Accounting with a minor in business law. Here's the funny thing, our Grandpa that neither of us barely knew was also an ENTJ also went into the military about the same age. In addition, he also majored in business. Plus, I have heard that he was a very successful and ruthless businessman. Something tells me history is about to repeat itself...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I know an INFP who was in the military...it's a personal story, but he explained me why he joined. He did because he was convinced to do by his parents and all, and seems it's not the worse experience in his life, but doesn't love it much. In fact, he's quitted.
To me it was pretty surprising that he had been there. But everyone has its surprises.
In fact, I know people who want to be in the army and oh (classmates), we are always fighting xDD i don't get along with them

·
Banned
148 Posts
there are a few ENFPs here who were or are military. i think mikesierra was one of em and amongst the rabble also did some time back in the day. i also tried out to become an officer in the military before getting injured during the selection process and going home.

there are some misconceptions here that keep floating around, though.
  1. most people who serve have never nor will they ever have to shoot or kill someone
  2. the majority of any branch of the military is made up of "support" personnel. the "infantry" or "trigger-pullers" usually amount to only 10-15% of the entire force. the other vast majority are in some kind of support function that helps those trigger pullers do their jobs. this includes mechanics, truck drivers, cooks, janitors, computer admin, human resources, lawyers, doctors, etc.
  3. the military does not necessarily "teach" you discipline. you're thinking about training. most of that discipline just flies out the window once they're in the force.

personally, i think if you're an ENFP and you see a military recruiter approach you with his "Be all you can be" mumbo-jumbo, you throw feces at him as you run away screaming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in the military for five years. That was the absolute worst time in my life, and the reasons for that are all listed in the first post.

I think the experience actually amplified the parts of my personality that didn't fit well in that environment. For instance, I still haven't gotten a haircut since I left because it's just so distasteful to me to have to conform to someone else's standards of appearance or behavior that I can't bring myself to walk into a barbershop. I figure I may just as well embrace my inner hippie at this point in my life. :happy:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The reasons for which xNFPs seem to join military are far from a real like for military, seems.
Like they want to get away or something. i mean, an ENFP with total freedom would never join.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The reasons for which xNFPs seem to join military are far from a real like for military, seems.
Like they want to get away or something. i mean, an ENFP with total freedom would never join.
But if you already don't have any freedom why trade one freedomless life for another?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since I am the only one in this thread ACTUALLY in the military, I'll give you my opinion.

I have been in for two years. I did not do so good in bootcamp due to my lack of organizational skills but I got away with a lot because of my personality. After serving almost three years (still in for another 3) I have to say it has made me mature very fast, especially professionally. I still have problems with organization, however, I take a different look at it. I see it has if I get everything out of the way then I can lay back and do what I want. It's not the whole killing thing for me. I look at it as if I HAD to kill, I would just do it because I took the oath. I look at it as a sense of moral value and duty.

Also, being an ENFP helps out a lot with communication with officers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dad is a Col. in the Air Force, and he's a complete ENFP. He's been doing it for 26 years now, and he really likes it. I think the difference is wether you enter as an enlisted or not. He started as an officer, and comes from the business side of things. He actually is a big part of our Foreign aid, so he travels all around the world.

He and I have talked about it, and we both agree that in general, ENFP's aren't cut out for military service if you aren't going in as an officer. Too many directions, and you know how we hate that. :laughing: He told me that is was really hard at first discipling himself enough to listen and follow orders, but he loved what he was doing enough that he was willing to make the sacrafice. He also said that being an ENFP helped when you had to talk a higher up out of doing something really stupid. :tongue:

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I've meet alot of military officers a good handful were ENFPs and were very good with people and very interactive with enlisted they tend to be very personal and attentive and care slot for there subordinates

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've meet alot of military officers a good handful were ENFPs and were very good with people and very interactive with enlisted they tend to be very personal and attentive and care slot for there subordinates
Really, this is intriguing. Did they seem to be a little different from most ENFP, in terms of personality? Were they harder, more organized, more planned, more confrontation, and less open minded?

·
Banned
148 Posts
Really, this is intriguing. Did they seem to be a little different from most ENFP, in terms of personality? Were they harder, more organized, more planned, more confrontation, and less open minded?
well, apparently, as we all grow older, our dominant functions (Extroverted Intuition) begins to relax a bit, and our tertiary and auxiliary functions begin to become more and more developed.

So, for example, from ages 25-45, an ENFP could be developing their tertiary Thinking function, while in their 50's and 60's, their Sensing function is more developed. Doesn't necessarily mean we stop being ENFPs...but we aren't the same ENFPs we were when we were younger. It's very possible that some of these people who are now in their 40's or 50's are indeed harder, or more organized, or more confrontational, or less open-minded than they were as kids or young adults.

but at the core, they're still the same wildchilds looking forward to the day they can whip off their pants and go streaking down the street :tongue:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts