Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an ENFP and I just can't avoid NOT being perfectionistic. I know there are many good things about it, but sometimes it's counterproductive. Why are ENFPs perfectionistic and what can they do about it?

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,212 Posts
I dunno. I'm not perfectionist at all, in fact I have a strong feeling that since my attention span is a little short I'm best off being good at most things but great at nothing lol. In fact, the only thing I'm great at is stuff I feel is part of my nature: creativity, writing, charm, social skills...all those arn't skills I can remember learning, I've had them since I was young.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I sometimes suffer from an outside pressure for perfectionism.

Let me explain...left to my own devices, I would do what I do...I think because we are so interested in so many things that we know a bit about everthing and our gift is making connections between all of this seemingly unrelated stuff...I can talk to a PhD physicist about the particle accelerator in CERN but I have a very base understanding of physics..I'm very interested in the concept of particle accelerators and what they mean to getting at a biger picture concept of the universe but I don't understand the science behind it...this would take me a few university degrees in a subject that I am not really interested in...

Perhaps we feel pressure for perfection because we are sensitive to judgement...We intuit alot...we are able to jump from point A to point F...and we are generally right...it comes to us because we see the connections...when we have to back track and explain points B, C, D, and E, this might be where we have to be perfectionist.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
On the Road, I have meant to tell you so many times, I love your Avatar. Love the colors, the shape, everything.

I'm not perfectionaistic at all. I used to be meaning I believed the law, "If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tired." but now I take an almost ecstatic delight in not being perfect. I have a notebook with my thoughts and imaginings in it, imperfect and unstructured poems. The house isn't perfect like it used to be. I missed out on a lot years ago trying to live up to someone else's perfectionistic standard so I kind of swung to the opposite extreme.

In love I am devastated by 'less than' sometimes. Less than the ideal (perfect?) . Depends.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Some things I have a very "that's close enough for Jazz" attitude about. BUT when something is REALLY important to me - or it's something I really feel passionately about then YES! The perfectionist definitely comes out. For example, I took a class in video production where I had to edit a mere 5 minute video and I edited and edited and edited to get it just the way I wanted. I can't even count how many hours I spent slaving over every single detail.

Even when I sing karaoke -- I don't like to sing a song in public unless I have practiced it to death. My wife will hear me sing something at home and say "Wow, that's good -- how come you never sing that song when we go out?" and the answer is always because I want to do it "Perfect" just like the original artist.

The worst part is I really want to try to write a screenplay for a movie, but when I start putting the story together I always start nitpicking details. I see a whole lot of movies that are very commercially successful that I would be ASHAMED to put my name on.

Others are "pretty good" and I enjoy them, but if I had been writing them -- I wouldn't have been happy with the story because it stretched my credibility too much somewhere or another. I just always expect MORE out of myself than I 'would from someone else when it's something I'm really passionate about.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,212 Posts
I see a whole lot of movies that are very commercially successful that I would be ASHAMED to put my name on.
Interesting comment. It's my similar feeling about bad commercials (along with sketchy ethics) that's made me pursue a career in Marketing. Though, in my mind, ANYTHING I can do would be an improvement on most commercials. I do feel pressure to do very well in my marketing certificate I'm taking (I'm straight As right now) and want to take a similar approach when I'm employed in order to build up the reputation and good karma that I'll need for my dream: A private Marketing tutoring/training school to teach industry professionals how to Market better and more ethically.

An NF interested in teaching? Who could have guessed? :)

P.S.

I teach ESL now to some of South Korea's richest kids so I know I've got the teaching bug already.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Pied Tubist, you remind me, I am perfectionistic in writing! I took an argumentative essay class last year and I revised, revised, revised for hours each day, until my husband said he thought I was being obsessive. I hadn't been in school for years and I knew I was taking a lot of time writing the papers, but I wanted them to be as well written as possible. I asked him if he would consider it acceptable to do less than his best, and he said no. I ended up earning a 4.0 in the class and I was genuinely surprised! Didn't know I had it in me!

I get blocked with creative writing because I'll keep changing something until i can't move forward. This is the only area I strive for perfection, as far as I know. Years ago I did in every area, but not now.

Moby, are ENFPs natural teachers? That is a gift of mine; I can teach anyone anything if I know how to do. I'm always a trainer at work, and I share new things I'm learning in a way that the people I'm sharing it with learn something new too. Never thought about it except to thank God for the ability.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,212 Posts
Moby, are ENFPs natural teachers? That is a gift of mine; I can teach anyone anything if I know how to do. I'm always a trainer at work, and I share new things I'm learning in a way that the people I'm sharing it with learn something new too. Never thought about it except to thank God for the ability.
I absolutely believe we are natural leaders. Now, the cool part is unlike some of the other types *cough* ENTP/ENTJ *cough* we don't seek out leadership roles for the sake of power or just so we CAN lead. In fact, since we're pretty relaxed it's usually others that want us to take these positions or we just fall into them because we are people-centric leaders.

The concept of leading by formulas or to dominate doesn't make sense, we can only lead with an empathetic people-focused approach. I think that makes us the best leaders for anyone except the more dominant leadership-lusting types who just want to dominate everyone else anyways.

As far as teaching goes, it's natural. We know so much knowledge about what we're passionate in and sharing it is again, natural. I love the process of transferring knowledge to people...to see the kids I teach eye's light up as they suddenly get a new concept. As I largely teach idioms in my school (along with some Canadian culture) the kids find my class fun and engaging and I make sure it stays that way with creative/visual activities to help them learn vs. just notes.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thanks very much. It's something I've always done and like you said, without seeking power. It's just easy to share information in a way that others can receive it and learn it and enjoy learning it. Thanks so much for your response!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts