Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have trust issues with people? How open are you with other people about your private life and secrets? How open are people with you?

I trust people too easily but will sometimes over-analyze things they do or say towards me (especially guys I'm interested in ahah)
I share a little too much with people sometimes, don't spare the gory details ahahah, no idea how to summarize my thoughts.
A lot of the time I'll tell someone something that they think no one else knows but I've in fact told a number of people because I'm too open. That's probably one of the reasons why people feel so at ease with sharing private things with me. Also if someone tells me not to tell anyone something they've told me, my lips are always sealed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm both overly trusting and paranoid. On one hand, I will ramble without end literally everything about myself (my entire life story) to complete strangers - I'm vain, and love to talk about myself. On the other hand, I always question the motives of others, almost neurotically - I'm always thinking inside my head what individuals stand to gain from the questions they ask me. I suppose I'm a tad... odd.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Do you have trust issues with people? How open are you with other people about your private life and secrets? How open are people with you?

I trust people too easily but will sometimes over-analyze things they do or say towards me (especially guys I'm interested in ahah)
I share a little too much with people sometimes, don't spare the gory details ahahah, no idea how to summarize my thoughts.
A lot of the time I'll tell someone something that they think no one else knows but I've in fact told a number of people because I'm too open. That's probably one of the reasons why people feel so at ease with sharing private things with me. Also if someone tells me not to tell anyone something they've told me, my lips are always sealed.
Hmmm, I definitely relate to that! I try my hardest to try and maintain boundaries, and try my hardest not to be too open or trusting. But put in the company of someone whose company I enjoy, and I will drop hints and be open. Frankly, I think it's a pretty good belief system. I seem to have developed a pretty good knack of how open to be and how swiftly to open up.

I do get a lot of people who after one conversation will tell me that they feel like they've known me for years, which I think is a pretty common ENFP thing. I know this leaves us open to be easily manipulated or burned, but I've come to terms with the fact that I have a lot of empathy so if help is needed, help will be given. Also, I'm (usually, a fair few ex girlfriends being the exceptions) a pretty good judge of character from first meets. If I really get talking, I do open up a lot.

The over analysis with gals I like is very common, but I usually direct it on myself, I can be quite oblivious to the fact that a girl has a crush on me because I'm too busy trying to make myself calm down and not come on too strong or appear over-enthused with their company. Once again, this seems to be very ENFP common.

Secrets; well, I'm regarded as a very close friend by a fair few people, and frankly, what they confided in me is the province of only the confider and confidant(e), so I will never breathe a word of what has been said to me in confidence. I'm good at telling when things are wrong with my nearest and dearest, therefore I don't think it'd be helpful to them if I then proceeded to broadcast their lives for them. I'm pretty comfortable sharing most of my life though, unless sharing the information would compromise my physical safety/wellbeing.

I guess it all boils down to what you're comfortable with. I personally think that openness is the epitome of ENFP charm, confidence and courage :wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm both overly trusting and paranoid. On one hand, I will ramble without end literally everything about myself (my entire life story) to complete strangers - I'm vain, and love to talk about myself. On the other hand, I always question the motives of others, almost neurotically - I'm always thinking inside my head what individuals stand to gain from the questions they ask me. I suppose I'm a tad... odd.
If you're odd, then so am I. I am VERY paranoid and question just about everyone's motives except a few people I completely trust. I also find that I open up to strangers or people I don't know well easily. Usually online people. I guess that's pretty weird. I think it's because I'm vain too but also because I don't have to deal with that person in my day to day life.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I am extremely open with pretty much anyone, and will tend to offer up too many details (especially regarding my sex life or things other people might consider extremely private). When it comes to the really personal and "TMI" stuff, I'll only talk about it with my close friends, but everything else is pretty much an open book.

I'm also very trustworthy and would never repeat a secret someone shared with me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Same , same, same and same. Do you find yourself blurting out accidently the thing that you have been just told not to say? I do that alot. Also I am very good at relfecting back to people the mood and stance they are in, isn't that nifty?
As for secrets, if they are the sort of secrets I can keep, I will take them to my grave.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I share too much also... with everyone. I only realise it's not a good idea until after. After I tell someone all the details, paranoid thoughts begin to flood through i.e." will they spread what I said to everyone? will people look and treat me differently? Oh shit, I've made myself even more of a maverick! Fuck!!" And of course, things wouldn't be complete if I didn't overanalyse the fuck out of things... especially concerning certain boys.

I'm pretty good with other people's secrets. I would feel horrifically guilty if I ever let one slip... which I have a few times. It just happens. I don't pay attention to what I say until the last moment. :sad: Poo.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I can be randomly too open. I have friends I've known for a week that I'll tell things to that I'm not comfortable telling to people who I've known significantly longer. It's more of a vibe I get from people. I've been hurt in the past but I think I'm getting much better at being able to tell whom I can trust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely have a tendency to over-share information. But at the same time, I'm not running around handing out my social security number or account passwords! Far from it actually--I'm pretty good at reading people, and I always try to approach people with an open mind. That means I'm open to the possibility that they might not be trustworthy. I have to watch them to know if I will really let them in. Even while I'm sharing all these mundane (and, to some people, overly personal) details about myself, I feel there are a very small handful of individuals who REALLY know me and who I permit to understand me on a more intimate level.

At the same time, I get the sense that people trust me with a great deal. I work hard for this. I feel it is an honor to be truly trusted, especially by someone I love. I will work hard--for years if necessary--to establish a trusting, non-judgmental relationship with someone so that they can know they are safe in our relationship. These are the most satisfying relationships for me because I believe they really do some good for the other person. I also have a personal rule--one of VERY few personal rules I impose on myself--that I will not share things the people I care about tell me in confidence. I don't want to do something that would jeopardize a truly fulfilling relationship with another person. I also would not want to jeopardize the feeling of safety I hope my loved ones have in their relationships with me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
like everyone here has said, i'll tell someone anything, everything, but never anything they could hurt me with; i keep very little private, but what i do keep private i share with virtually no-one.
i'll trust strangers with money if they give me the right vibe, but i have huge issues emotionally opening up to just about anyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How open I am with people depends on the person and the relationship I have with that person. I have one friend who talks about her problems with me a lot so I'm mostly just listening and giving advce in the deep conversation aspects of our friendship. I suppose I do give her examples of my past problems also but only if it will help her. Besides that I can be pretty open with people if I seem to be getting along really well with them.

Generally people tend to be pretty open with me if I get to know them well enough. I think it's probably because I don't share secrets. Although, they have to tell me it's a secret and not to tell anyone. Otherwise I use that information for advise I give to people and in relating to other situations people have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts