Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been pretty Fi auxiliary my whole life until some turn of events in which I survived by using Fe. But I don't know how real it was, or if it was just fake. Too long of a story.

What are some examples of your relationship with Fe?

Do you ever feel like you're using Fe, how does it work for you? Or do you mimic it?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That all depends on what you mean by "faking Fe" or "using Fe". Those are ENFP's shadow functions, so it would be near impossible to really use those like we use Fi. I know Fe is sometimes described as that function that lets you pick up on other peoples' feelings. However, I know Fi also can do that.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I had a very similar theory to this, where I thought that functions merge (in case of ENFP, the Ne+Fi merge together to create a pseudo Fe). I remember I had a thread on it too, but I keep digging and no results are coming up.

Reactions: cue5c and Ntuitive

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a very similar theory to this, where I thought that functions merge (in case of ENFP, the Ne+Fi merge together to create a pseudo Fe). I remember I had a thread on it too, but I keep digging and no results are coming up.
This is something I've tried to understand. I believe I've used Fe as a shadow function for a while. I wasn't always like this. But the the way I use Fe isn't consistent, and it doesn't seem to me to be very genuine.

If anyone has an opinion on this. I've just been concerned with other people's emotions only because I want them to like me. When I get as many people as I can to like me it helps me deal with some insecurities that I have. I used to be more goofy and random and made entire groups of people laugh so had no problem like this, but the past 5 years or so I'd be dealing with anxiety and depression so I didn't have the enthusiasm or energy to behave the way I did before.

I think my way of dealing with people has made me mistake Fi with Fe. I'm just kind of quiet and polite and don't put focus on myself but more on the other person. But a lot of times when it comes down to it I don't really have the same kind of sympathy that I think Fe users have. I never did anyway and it was pretty obvious.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
@Ntuitive, I can relate.

My conscience is a formidable and pretty unforgiving mistress, and there's a definite "you should be more Fe" current that runs through it. It's not particularly natural to me, but sometimes I find myself trying to be that way because I "should." Raised by an Fe user, if that has anything to do with it.

I definitely remember plenty of times when my head knew I felt sorry for someone and wanted to help them, but I didn't feel the emotions as strongly as I wanted to. Does that sound strange?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@chimeric Haha, yeah sounds like me, especially

I definitely remember plenty of times when my head knew I felt sorry for someone and wanted to help them, but I didn't feel the emotions as strongly as I wanted to. Does that sound strange?
Not strange at all. That's how I feel. Sometimes I find it odd that as nice of a person as I think I am, I tend to not be very affected by some bad things people experience. If someone fell down a flight of stairs I might find it funny. Even if it wasn't funny I might not even feel too much but I'd go help anyway. Well, for me at least. Hopefully that doesn't sound strange. (sort of an exaggeration. I'm not that cold hearted)

I thought this was funny. It's fake though.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Yeah, how's that for Fi?

"I feel bad because I don't feel as bad as my conscience tells me I should feel, given how bad you feel." The end result is kind of the same as Fe. ;)

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My conscience is a formidable and pretty unforgiving mistress, and there's a definite "you should be more Fe" current that runs through it. It's not particularly natural to me, but sometimes I find myself trying to be that way because I "should." Raised by an Fe user, if that has anything to do with it.
I'm exactly the same here. I was constantly accused of being selfish growing up by my parents (still am actually) because I was more involved/interested with my feelings as opposed to what others were feeling. As a young child I think this had a significant impact on my self worth and self esteem. I'm not sure I was 'faking Fe,' however; I think my experiences certainly lead me to develop Fe in order to feel like I wasn't a 'bad person.' Now that I am older, I have fully embraced the fact that I am happy being a 'selfish' person! ;)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, how's that for Fi?

"I feel bad because I don't feel as bad as my conscience tells me I should feel, given how bad you feel." The end result is kind of the same as Fe. ;)
Yeah that's basically how I feel about a lot of things. I actually think that Fi can come in handy though. When my grandfather died in the hospital my family was upset and didn't know what to do but I was kind of chilling there somewhat unaffected. (I didn't know him very well anyway) But my mom was crying, so then my sister started crying, and my dad didn't know what to do either, but I was calm the whole time. I just said "Well, the first step is to leave this room and find out from the nurses what the second step should be." After they found out what to do my mom asked me again what we should do. And I just said "Go home?" Later she thanked me for taking control of the situation, but it wasn't as much of a crisis as they thought it was. Although, I can't blame her for feeling that way. When I think about it, it's probably a terrible feeling being overwhelmed with emotions like that.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i've seen in alot of threads people say Fe-Ni/Ne-Fi combitions can often lead to similar comclusions.

I can relate to what you say about just wanting people to like you, I don't really know i kind of think is should terms.

it all confuses me really.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Wow, I just had a major deja-vu... I guess my lack of understanding Fe is driving me nuts. xD

But uhm, I wanted to ask how you guys see Fe. Like this?

I've just been concerned with other people's emotions only because I want them to like me. When I get as many people as I can to like me it helps me deal with some insecurities that I have.
Cause what I've read about Fe is different.

Fe leads people to adjust, hide or set aside entirely their own emotions in favor of fitting the emotional needs of the broader groups that are important to them.
Sounds like a difference in motive - and it goes a step further than being concerned with the emotions of others.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sounds like a difference in motive - and it goes a step further than being concerned with the emotions of others.

Your thoughts?
Extraverted judging functions base their conclusions on external objective measures. Introverted judging functions base their conclusions on internal subjective measures. "Feeling" functions make holistic judgments resulting in an overall "feel" of a situation. "Thinking" functions make linear judgments resulting in specific conclusions about the particulars of situations.

This leaves us with:
Fe = objective holistic judging
Fi = subjective holistic judging
Te = objective linear judging
Ti = subjective linear judging

Therefore, saying that extraverted feeling is concerned with others' emotions is a great oversimplification. It bases its conclusions on what is going on outside the self. Id est, Fe responds to others' display of emotion and other behavior. The things that go on around an Fe type individual (ex. relationships, others' reactions, tangible results, etc.) are the basis on which conclusions are made. An Fi type bases their conclusions on what is going on inside themselves. They respond to how external events impact their internal experience, rather than responding to the external events directly.

i've seen in alot of threads people say Fe-Ni/Ne-Fi combitions can often lead to similar comclusions.

I can relate to what you say about just wanting people to like you, I don't really know i kind of think is should terms.

it all confuses me really.
Yes, I've seen this stuff too (and said some of it as well). The reason for this is that the strong intuition functions make projections. The Ne-Fi type may readily think of possibilities such as this: "I wonder what it'd be like to be that person and deal with what they're going through." This then can lead the person to take notice of others' emotions via empathy and behave in an Fe-like way. The Fe-Ni type may similarly make projections along these lines: "I see where this is likely heading..." and then develop their own opinion about it outside of an immediate objective context. Essentially, a strong extraverted intuition function can project Fi outwards and a strong introverted intuition function can draw Fe inwards.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
This is something I've tried to understand. I believe I've used Fe as a shadow function for a while. I wasn't always like this. But the the way I use Fe isn't consistent, and it doesn't seem to me to be very genuine.

If anyone has an opinion on this. I've just been concerned with other people's emotions only because I want them to like me. When I get as many people as I can to like me it helps me deal with some insecurities that I have. I used to be more goofy and random and made entire groups of people laugh so had no problem like this, but the past 5 years or so I'd be dealing with anxiety and depression so I didn't have the enthusiasm or energy to behave the way I did before.

I think my way of dealing with people has made me mistake Fi with Fe. I'm just kind of quiet and polite and don't put focus on myself but more on the other person. But a lot of times when it comes down to it I don't really have the same kind of sympathy that I think Fe users have. I never did anyway and it was pretty obvious.
I think I remember a lot of threads on here talking about ENFP having Fe, for now I can only find this one: http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-forum-inspirers/47206-enfp-fe.html

Another thing I would like to note is that upon looking at the cognitive function test results of ENFPs, a considerable amount showed high Fe. Might be taught, fake or morphed :]

http://personalitycafe.com/personality-test-resources/204-function-analysis-test-5.html#post42142
http://personalitycafe.com/personality-test-resources/204-function-analysis-test-6.html#post76806

·
Registered
386 Posts
My F functions don't get much exercise. However, you splendid bunch of NF's probably notice that when I'm hanging around your sub-forum, my comments are focused on positive communication.

It's mostly my Ne handling that, sort of like chess. I envision the possible responses/arguments that can come up based on each point/comment/question I post, then weed out any that I suspect will lead to undesirable results. Ne presents me with thousands of possible impacts, and I attempt to select the ones that engender the most useful response.

·
Registered
386 Posts
During the recent ENFP-compliments-from-non-ENFP's thread, my Ne resulted in some strong positive reaction, specifically, @NTyson proposed. Provoking enthusiasm and facilitating communication is always near the top of my priority list, but when it comes to follow through with F-ness, I am at a huge loss. So, while several people were having a great time, I was adrift in waters unfamiliar to me, and I actually had no easy way to determine how to deal with continued interaction. Generating new connections with F users is really enjoyable, but I lack the basic social use of Fe for follow-up interaction. My Ne responses seem shallow, dismissive, and unfair once I get into steady dialogue. I can easily communicate using Ti, but that doesn't prove an acceptable substitute for Fe.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
During the recent ENFP-compliments-from-non-ENFP's thread, my Ne resulted in some strong positive reaction, specifically, @NTyson proposed. Provoking enthusiasm and facilitating communication is always near the top of my priority list, but when it comes to follow through with F-ness, I am at a huge loss. So, while several people were having a great time, I was adrift in waters unfamiliar to me, and I actually had no easy way to determine how to deal with continued interaction. Generating new connections with F users is really enjoyable, but I lack the basic social use of Fe for follow-up interaction. My Ne responses seem shallow, dismissive, and unfair once I get into steady dialogue. I can easily communicate using Ti, but that doesn't prove an acceptable substitute for Fe.
Thanks for the mention. I'm not certain if I know any ENTPs in my life (though I did post something recently in the Current Events forum about Obama potentially being ENTP. haha)

Okay, I just looked up the order of functions to try to understand. (And I'm still learning with all of this too.) But I'm Ne dominant and Fi secondary. ENTP is Ne and Ti. I struggle trying to understand Fe (versus my Fi).

And yeah- to that post. My comment (obviously) was meant to be funny. (I guess occasionally the ENFP in me likes to use shock value to make a point. haha) And your reaction to it (dowry LOLLLLLL) was hilariously appropriate. But then some others decided to veer it off further. And I guess that did make me slightly uncomfortable too! So I simply laughed and said "sillies" to show them "alright- jokes over.) But maybe you felt even more uncomfortable with what to say. I can see that! And this is a learning tool for me too to realize that I can be in a situation and feel perfectly comfortable (or just slightly uncomfortable) and the person next to me might be internally reacting completely opposite.

That is what I like about this community. Really learning more about others and about ourselves- and hopefully improving our communication with others as a result (in the "real world.")

Thanks again my new Lime friend! And when you're ready for another Cuba Libre, I will whip one up for ya. :)

Reactions: LimeDegree

·
Banned
613 Posts
Thanks for the mention. I'm not certain if I know any ENTPs in my life (though I did post something recently in the Current Events forum about Obama potentially being ENTP. haha)

Okay, I just looked up the order of functions to try to understand. (And I'm still learning with all of this too.) But I'm Ne dominant and Fi secondary. ENTP is Ne and Ti. I struggle trying to understand Fe (versus my Fi).

And yeah- to that post. My comment (obviously) was meant to be funny. (I guess occasionally the ENFP in me likes to use shock value to make a point. haha) And your reaction to it (dowry LOLLLLLL) was hilariously appropriate. But then some others decided to veer it off further. And I guess that did make me slightly uncomfortable too! So I simply laughed and said "sillies" to show them "alright- jokes over.) But maybe you felt even more uncomfortable with what to say. I can see that! And this is a learning tool for me too to realize that I can be in a situation and feel perfectly comfortable (or just slightly uncomfortable) and the person next to me might be internally reacting completely opposite.

That is what I like about this community. Really learning more about others and about ourselves- and hopefully improving our communication with others as a result (in the "real world.")

Thanks again my new Lime friend! And when you're ready for another Cuba Libre, I will whip one up for ya. :)

ENFP/ENTP interaction is the funniest, check Robin Williams / Billy Crystal videos on youtube, you’ll love their improvisation. And you guessed right, Obama is ENTP.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts