Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

If you are an Engineer of any form, please can you post your type and explain why you chose Engineering and how your MBTI type relates to the field

Thanks! :happy:

I am an INFJ, i didn't choose Engineering myself, but I've come to love it even if i don't really see my future down this path.. As a kid i had stated quite boldly that even if i was not sure of what i wanted to study in university, i was sure i wasn't going to do Engineering and Medicine.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I can't speak to why but I can tell you some statistics of my friends.

6 ESTJ (4 chemical, 1 mech and 1 unknown)
2 ISTJ (Chemical)
1 ENTP (Chemical)
1 ENTJ
1 ENFJ
1 INTP (Chemical)

I know a lot more engineers but I don't know their type yet.

Reactions: Gaminegirlie

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My answer...

My work as a web developer can sometimes be called a Software Engineer by some folks so I'm presuming I should give an answer here. I'm an INTJ in terms of type. Having that rational, logical, analytical mind that comes from some Te function to compliment an Ni that helps me find the answer to problems is quite useful in my line of work. Understanding the big picture is important as sometimes things can be quite complex and big, though knowing when to get into the details and nit pick over minor things is another side of this work too. I like my structure, rules and order to stuff, thus my type ends in a J for obvious reasons. At the same time, I'm not the most social person and thus I prefer to work in situations where I can be left alone for periods of time which suits my introverted nature. I love sifting through different scenarios and seeing what works and doesn't work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My husband is an INFJ software engineer. He was originally an electrical engineer but switched his junior year. He felt pressured by his dad and brothers to enter into some sort of engineering degree. While he does enjoy his work, he has often said if he were to do it over again he'd major in graphic arts/multimedia.

I also know an IXTJ chemical engineer (S, probably) and an ENTP mechanical engineer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
INTJ electrical engineer

Hi guys,

If you are an Engineer of any form, please can you post your type and explain why you chose Engineering and how your MBTI type relates to the field
.[/I]

I'm a BSEE INTJ

I like to know how things work. I like solving complex problems.

Electrical Engineers are trained to design hardware.

I hated most of my EE classes.

I was a Product Engineer. That was awesome.

Now I run my own business which involves web dev, creating new products, marketing, psychology, counseling etc. Basic engineering was too boring for me.

The INTJ helps me with creativity, discipline, logic, good business sense.

I think having an F instead of T would make engineering harder. Engineering is about things, not people. So logic and analytical abilities are key.

The F could help where people skills and relationships are key.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks people.

I hope there are still more Engineers on this forum, this infomation will be very helpful to me

cheers x :happy:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm an INTJ Chemical. I chose it because it had an emphasis on maths, which was somewhere I wanted to improve upon. I quite like my job, I do front-end consultancy stuff so I get into the nitty gritty detail of building sophisticated models to work out what to do with twinkles in peoples eyes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've typed some of the people i went to school with and it's been interesting to see the different types emerge, but NTs seem to rule the bunch..that is, the serious ones. could this really be true?

Please people post away! :happy:

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I've typed some of the people i went to school with and it's been interesting to see the different types emerge, but NTs seem to rule the bunch..that is, the serious ones. could this really be true?

I'm sorry I am not following what you are saying here. You self typed your friends? Not really the best thing to do. The "NTs" rule what exactly and how does this relate to engineering?

·
exploring space
10,136 Posts
I have an INTJ friend who is electronic engineer; probably the best thing he could have picked, he was in the top 10 for almost every year and no.1 in his last year. (our Technical Universities last 5 years)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry I am not following what you are saying here. You self typed your friends? Not really the best thing to do. The "NTs" rule what exactly and how does this relate to engineering?
You really aren't following..
No, I showed them the test to take, asked them to take it honestly..the best test i could find online..even though the one i took was paid for..this one is a really close match.

Of course i had an idea of their types before(being intuitive and all.lol), and some did surprise me after they took the test.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
You really aren't following..
No, I showed them the test to take, asked them to take it honestly..the best test i could find online..even though the one i took was paid for..this one is a really close match.

Of course i had an idea of their types before(being intuitive and all.lol), and some did surprise me after they took the test.
I don't think either of us are following. You said YOU typed them.

Also, I was asking you what your post meant. What are you asking? Are you insinuating that most engineers seem to be NT? If so, I would actually put it out there that most engineers seem to be STJ.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Also, I was asking you what your post meant. What are you asking? Are you insinuating that most engineers seem to be NT? If so, I would actually put it out there that most engineers seem to be STJ.

I TYPED them, how is that equal to I Self-TYPED them :dry:

Hi guys,

Thanks!
Anyway, when you learn to read, check back.
but thanks for your insights.

cheers :happy:

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts

I've refers to me. You get that?

I TYPED them, how is that equal to I Self-TYPED them :dry:

Anyway, when you learn to read, check back.
but thanks for your insights.

cheers :happy:
I did read, I quoted this quote when i replied. Meaning I am asking you what that meant, not your original post of the thread.

I was one of the first people to answer your thread if you read back. I gave you statistics of people at my work. I work in a technical government building that is full of engineers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've refers to me. You get that?
SIGH!

I actually thought you were asking if i self-typed them but i see you ASSumed that already.

You get that?

I did read, I quoted this quote when i replied. Meaning I am asking you what that meant, not your original post of the thread.
No, you weren't asking, you were insinuating.

I was one of the first people to answer your thread if you read back. I gave you statistics of people at my work. I work in a technical government building that is full of engineers.
Yeah, i read well, that's why i thanked you for your insights. :happy:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Statistics on Type and Engineering

OK, time to break out some data.

On page 279 of the"Atlas of Type Tables" published by CAPT in 1995 (sorry I don't have more recent data) they show the Type for Electrical / Electronic Engineers. They also show data for chem engrs, software engrs etc.

If I had more recent data I would make time to graph this stuff.

For Electrical / Electronic Engineers
ISTJ-16.7%
ISFJ-9.3
INFJ-1.9
INTJ-13.0
ISTP-9.3
ISFP-1.9
INFP-5.6
INTP-5.6
ESTP-0
ESFP-1.9
ENFP-7.4
ENTP-5.6
ESTJ-9.3
ESFJ-3.7
ENFJ-1.9
ENTJ-7.1

So TJ's in Electrical Engineering is the most frequent preference.

Here are some other observations from the same page:

E-37%
I-63%

S-52%
N-48%

T-67%
F-33%

J-63%
P-37%

Extraversion and Feeling are the most rare in engineering

CAPT's samples size was small (54 people) and the data was collected between 1971 and 1984 which sucks. I am sure they have much more data now.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, time to break out some data.

On page 279 of the"Atlas of Type Tables" published by CAPT in 1995 (sorry I don't have more recent data) they show the Type for Electrical / Electronic Engineers. They also show data for chem engrs, software engrs etc.

If I had more recent data I would make time to graph this stuff.

For Electrical / Electronic Engineers
ISTJ-16.7%
ISFJ-9.3
INFJ-1.9
INTJ-13.0
ISTP-9.3
ISFP-1.9
INFP-5.6
INTP-5.6
ESTP-0
ESFP-1.9
ENFP-7.4
ENTP-5.6
ESTJ-9.3
ESFJ-3.7
ENFJ-1.9
ENTJ-7.1

So TJ's in Electrical Engineering is the most frequent preference.

Here are some other observations from the same page:

E-37%
I-63%

S-52%
N-48%

T-67%
F-33%

J-63%
P-37%

Extraversion and Feeling are the most rare in engineering

CAPT's samples size was small (54 people) and the data was collected between 1971 and 1984 which sucks. I am sure they have much more data now.

Thanks a lot
I'm collecting data now for a mini-project, which I will graph.

I am looking at engineering as a whole, could have stuck to one aspect but
i need to have a general feel.I'm more considered with N/S T/F sides of the type

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not sure i fit in the scheme because i work as software programmer, but i have a degree in Telecommunication Engineering and i very liked studying it.

I chose this degree carefully when I was fifteen because i loved math and sciences, then

- I dumped chemistry because i have bad memory for details and my impressions on this course was: a lot of learn by heart and little thinking. (now don't shoot me chemlovers, it was a 15een impression XD)
- I dumped (with some regret) astronomy and earth sciences because I knew how difficult it's in my country to find a related paid job, out of teaching (that i don't like at all)
- i dumped pure math, pure computer sciences and pure physics because, well...they are too pure indeed and I wanted the ability to apply and use what I studied for in creating 'something that finally you can start and run', not only to write an essay on science magazines.

I choose telco over each other engeenering specialization because I am more charmed by energy than by matter (ok, i know it's the same but still...feels different) and by communications issues and oximoros.

I discovered with pleasure that every engeenering course was all on 'putting togheter' very few great principles and apply them in any new way you find useful to solve all problems laid at your feet; and this entairtaining way of studying and thinking was the most 'NT' thing I found in my life...perhaps it's more an INTP way to see the world, so I can't relate it to my INTJ, but I think it's definitely NT at least.

Please, note that in Italy ever the most pratical and down-to-earth paths of study, as should be medicine, are teached in a way far, far more theorical than in USA: I touched an oscilloscope in a school lab only in my third year XD. This must be accounted for in my choice to 'dumping' the more abstract courses.

Other:

Of all my former fellow students, I know the MBTI types of only 3 (freshly tested) and they are 2 ISTJ, 1 ISTP. All three changed path of studies before they could fulfill all the exams: one took a degree in statistic, one switched for the army and the ISTP opened a night club.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
INTJ, decided to get an engineering degree in physics. Of course, now I'm a quant, which is a fancy way of saying "financial engineer"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts