Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there's something I really hate it's this sleepy inaction I feel around me on some days.

When I was a child I hated Sundays, especially Sunday afternoons, because of that. It's so easy, silent, unstructured. Nothing happens on Sunday afternoons. Of course you can go out, do some sport or watch a movie, but it's still so silent around that it drives me nuts. I'm totally underwhelmed.

Since I became an adult I experienced that on weekends but also when I was unemployed - obviously I was looking for a job like crazy, so I wasn't inactive at all, but still when everybody is in school or in the office it's so silent and boring and I have the feeling the life is happening in other places.

I also have it when I do home office - that's why I hate home office. Of course I'm in contact with my colleagues, make some calls, etc., but generally I have the feeling life is going on somewhere else and I find it depressing. Do you have that too or do you enjoy this tranquility?

·
Banned
619 Posts
I most certainly enjoy the tranquility.

"Restless" and "bored" are two adjectives I have never been able to relate to in the slightest.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I do enjoy that kind of tranquility a lot. I feel like my J preference is so strong that I need a break from it regularly.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If there's something I really hate it's this sleepy inaction I feel around me on some days.

When I was a child I hated Sundays, especially Sunday afternoons, because of that. It's so easy, silent, unstructured. Nothing happens on Sunday afternoons. Of course you can go out, do some sport or watch a movie, but it's still so silent around that it drives me nuts. I'm totally underwhelmed.

Since I became an adult I experienced that on weekends but also when I was unemployed - obviously I was looking for a job like crazy, so I wasn't inactive at all, but still when everybody is in school or in the office it's so silent and boring and I have the feeling the life is happening in other places.

I also have it when I do home office - that's why I hate home office. Of course I'm in contact with my colleagues, make some calls, etc., but generally I have the feeling life is going on somewhere else and I find it depressing. Do you have that too or do you enjoy this tranquility?
This sounds like the perspective of an Enneagram 7. I'm the same as others above have mentioned. I like my tranquility and respite from my XXTJ go, go, go. In fact, I don't think I can function properly without it. I have to take a break on Thursday nights from working all week. And I need a lazy/unstructured day on the weekend too. And this is on top of me stopping to watch the sunset daily (time allowing) and getting plenty of sleep. I'm very effective in 'work mode' but I can't be like that all the time and nor would I want to be. I need time away from everything, especially other people. I love working from home in 'peace & quiet'. My favorite movie is my favorite in part bc of how quiet it is (lol). Typical Enneagram 5, I find too much going on potentially overwhelming and want to retreat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I didn't think I'm in the minority here.

Of course I like solitude and tranquility after a busy day. I just came back from shopping (I hate shopping) and I'm now enjoying not being surrounded by noisy adverts and being able to take a deep breath again.

But in the situations described above I just can't. I like working from home if I work on something alone. In this way I can concentrate and when I concentrate nothing exists for me apart from the one task and I'm really creative. But home office when you have calls, need to answer emails, etc... It gives me the feeling I should be with other people and I'm missing out somehow.

I had the same feeling when I was unemployed. It drove me nuts. Now I'm sharing a flat with a friend who quit his job without having another one lined up. He said he just needed time to think. He's been thinking for a few months now. Even leaving the economic issues aside, I would get crazy spending so much time alone. Of course I love reading, researching subjects I'm interested in, but then I want to do something with this knowledge and this normally requires being with other people and, I don't know, something happening around.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I like tranquility, as does nearly everyone, and I need stretches of it to process information effectively... but it needs to be contrasted with periods of activity or it ceases to be "tranquility" and becomes stagnation and complacency. This is especially true when the work you're doing or work you like to do requires you to be in contact with others to get it done.

And as someone who was a remote worker for a while, you're correct to perceive that if you're not in the office you're probably missing out on a lot of what's happening in a way that's reducing your effectiveness. You can't underestimate how much information gets transmitted unintentionally and unofficially in professional settings until you've had to try and integrate yourself into the workflow without having presence working in your favor.

This strikes me as an area where avowed preferences might easily oppose actual behavior. My current tendency is to emphasize knowing when to call time on "tranquility" and get my hands dirty, but that's only because my life overall is intentionally structured to regularly produce quietude much moreso than it is to produce action, so it's easier for me to get too much of the former accidentally if I don't watch myself.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Wow. This seems like a trick question ha

Um... I frequently feel bored and restless, but I dont have issues with relaxing. For instance, if we're having a slow day at work, I look for things to keep busy. The boss will tell us to relax, but I can't because I feel like I have to fill the rest of the allotted time with something productive. If I were at home on a weekend, then I'm lazing about all day.

So the restlessness isn't associated with feeling like I'm missing out. It's more like expectations around mental stimulation not being met. Once I get enough of that, I can relax and forget about the world for a bit.

·
Banned
619 Posts
It gives me the feeling I should be with other people and I'm missing out somehow.
Sounds Enneagram-related to me. Perhaps a dominant social instinct, maybe one of the more social Enneatypes (3, 7?).

I mostly don't feel that I should be with other people, and I virtually never feel that I'm missing out on something. When I do feel that I should be with other people, I seek them out.

Mostly though, I enjoy the peace and tranquility of my home office where I don't need to deal with colleagues, bosses, phone calls (none of those), office politicking and the general mess you get when you put together more than two **** sapienses. I find discipline and productivity easier on my own and always have. I do spend most of my time developing one thing or other, whether it is martial arts or meditation or researching a subject or learning a new language. I just prefer to do these things alone.

I relate most strongly to the most withdrawn Enneatype, i.e. 5, and may be a 594 triptype, aka triple-withdrawn.

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
i have about a three-day window before total aloneness starts getting to me. third day being the one where the tipping point makes itself felt.

it's not that i get lonely and not that i start itching to Go Get Things Done. it just isn't healthy for me to go longer than that without some kind of contact with the outside world. i start feeling like i'm disappearing down my own rabbit hole, and the longer i go without getting that external grounding, the more i start doubting reality's real.

it doesn't need to be people though. in fact, yeah . . . definitely it doesn't need to be people. i just need to go out and interact with concrete existence to remind myself that it's still there and i still know how to deal with it.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,476 Posts
This sounds like the perspective of an Enneagram 7. I'm the same as others above have mentioned. I like my tranquility and respite from my XXTJ go, go, go. In fact, I don't think I can function properly without it. I have to take a break on Thursday nights from working all week. And I need a lazy/unstructured day on the weekend too. And this is on top of me stopping to watch the sunset daily (time allowing) and getting plenty of sleep. I'm very effective in 'work mode' but I can't be like that all the time and nor would I want to be. I need time away from everything, especially other people. I love working from home in 'peace & quiet'. My favorite movie is my favorite in part bc of how quiet it is (lol). Typical Enneagram 5, I find too much going on potentially overwhelming and want to retreat.
What is this, how you say, Slepp, no, SlEEp, you speak of?

I would hear more of this wondrous substance.

Reactions: Dare
1 - 12 of 12 Posts