Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've started checking out enneagram and I'm pretty sure I fit the enneagram 6 best. I was wondering if you could relate to my following experiences..

Often times in social situations I am very acute to the balance of power, who wants power, who has power, the underdog etc. I was wondering if you guys sense the same things?
Also I find myself almost trying to be the mediator. I hate the idea of being controlled but the last thing I want is for someone to feel that I'm being overly domineering or taking the spotlight.

I feel the same way towards others, it's like I try to find a balance and I will compete with those who think they're more powerful and be more chilled and receptive to those who are more submissive and therefore more sensitive to undesirable social cues.

So I find myself aware of how I perceive other people's states and I try to get the more submissive people involved. I'd start a conversation with them even if I felt it wouldn't be interesting because I'd prefer that to seeing them kinda left out. I keep an open mind though, the most introverted people can be the most intriguing. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not that party-animal kinda guy who loves the spotlight 24/7.

Can anyone relate? 6w7, 6w5? Enneagram 6? LOL.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I can relate to OP very much. It has become natural for me to notice power dynamics. At work, I actually advise co-workers who are not in my sphere of influence how to come up in the company. Who to talk to, what not to say, how to dress, what days are good for networking, who the snitches/backstabbers are, and who the prominent players in the game are. Life is a game and I play to win.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
Highly, painfully aware. Both the on-paper power structures and the real-world structures. Who has the will, who has the resources, who has the knowledge...

I like that you look for a balance. That's something I could stand to do a bit more of.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
Id say overly so. And it builds up much resentment with those who seek to try and have power over me. It also leads to a need to put right what is incorrect in the methods of power seeking people or to get worked up if power is being abused. I see how people who get promoted start turning into cocky lil shits. If they respect the position they are in and the powers they have, I will respect them.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Amen to all the posts thus far. Yes, I have always been keenly aware of power structures in my professional and personal realms. In this sense, I know I'm shrewd and could use this to my advantage, but I have such a low tolerance for bureaucracy and people getting off on perceived, external power, so that could explain why I resigned from positions that I could have turned into really well-paying professions. I didn't want to use wily methods to make my way up and I also refuse to kiss someone's ass to do the same.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I'm aware of it but usually don't care much about it unless it affects me somehow. I'm one to keep to myself or "my people," so I rarely feel the need to engage in any power struggle. Though sometimes I can get self-righteous on the behalf of an underdog if I feel like there's a huge abuse of power.

I would guess that nearly 6s are aware, but SOC-last 6s care less about it (save for those who have been traumatized somehow by authority). Of course, there could be some SOC 6s (dom or aux) who don't care much either and direct their SOC towards other things.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
I would guess that nearly 6s are aware, but SOC-last 6s care less about it (save for those who have been traumatized somehow by authority).
Thanks for this. I've never related much to SO, but the power thing always hits me hard, and it just dawned on me that's why. Duh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts