Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about the enneagram, and it seems to me INTPs tend to be 5 or 6, both by characteristics of those types, and also because those, along with 7, are the so called "head" ones, which makes an obvious connection to us, thinkers.

I am, myself, a 6w5. Does this make sense? which types are you?

·
Registered
657 Posts
INTPs can often be type 9 also. Apparently I'm either 5w6 or 9w8, but I don't know enough about the system to decide which.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INTPs can often be type 9 also. Apparently I'm either 5w6 or 9w8, but I don't know enough about the system to decide which.
Hmm interesting. At first I thought I was a 9 too. The enneagram part of the site has some pretty good tips to solve those doubts, btw.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm type 8w7. Very very uncommon for INTP. My behaviours and thought processes are often paradoxical as I'm overly aggressive and can't stand to fade into the background, but at the same time I'm fairly detached and want little to do with people.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm not sure how to read this.

My highest scoring types were type 6, 4 and 5, with scores 49/49/48. Does that mean I'm 6w4w5? :p

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I'm 5w4. I have lots of 6 and 4, but more 4 possibly.
I'm not sure if I have more of 1 or 8, however.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think most INTP's are 5's, usually 5w4's (the four wing might seem a bit feelerish, but the emphasis on uniqueness and independence fits parts of Ti-Ne). But all humans share basic drives and needs that are quite 6-ish, so 5w6 is common too.

But I think an INTP could be a 6w5 as well. Totally. Any type can be anything, but some combinations are very unlikely...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also, and I'm sorry it's a bit off topic... But does my cognitive profile make any sense?
I got Ne Ni Fi Ti Te Fe Si Se with Ne Ni Ti - excellent use, Te Fe - average and Si Se - low...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Also, and I'm sorry it's a bit off topic... But does my cognitive profile make any sense?
I got Ne Ni Fi Ti Te Fe Si Se with Ne Ni Ti - excellent use, Te Fe - average and Si Se - low...
Those tests aren't a big help in my opinion. They certainly don't objectively tell you which functions you use the best. The fact they never come up with any "normal" type answers in the end pretty much proves that.

Just read up on the functions and do some meditation. That seems to be the consensus on this site. If you are really willing to be honest with yourself, you will come to understand which type you are (which in your case seems to be between INTP and INFP - but don't rule out other possibilities!)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Those tests aren't a big help in my opinion. They certainly don't objectively tell you which functions you use the best. The fact they never come up with any "normal" type answers in the end pretty much proves that.

Just read up on the functions and do some meditation. That seems to be the consensus on this site. If you are really willing to be honest with yourself, you will come to understand which type you are (which in your case seems to be between INTP and INFP - but don't rule out other possibilities!)
I've read on them and they do fit. If I take Ne-Fi (highest two) then I'm apparently ENFP (and if I think back, I think I was just that as a kid, I had my own little "gang" of followers, used to make up imaginative games and role play etc).

Yet Ni was near equal to the Fi, and Ne-Ni doesn't seem to make any sense (opposite?). Yet in MBTI I score as either INTP (which I do identify with mostly, reading the posts here) or INFP (they seem to cling too much to their beliefs, but otherwise a good fit), with the T and F always very close (less than 5%).
And when I read the descriptions of those three types, I fit in equally with all three.

So I either don't know myself at all, which is surprising, because I've spent 15 years gazing inward to the point of madness sometimes.
Or I'm just.. um.. complicated.
Or this is as accurate as the horoscope (I'm aquarius by the way! haha).

Either way, I'm glad I found this forum. There seems to be a good percentage of open-mindedness amongst INTPs so I'd rather identify with this.
Though I'm constantly afraid I'll be seen as an outsider.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm a 5w4, I am a little more on the creative side(which the 4 wing probably covers).

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Most common for INTPs: Type 5 (by a landslide)

Occassionally: 6, 9

Not very common: 1, 4, 7

Practically never: 3, 8

You gotta be kidding!: 2

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I've read on them and they do fit. If I take Ne-Fi (highest two) then I'm apparently ENFP (and if I think back, I think I was just that as a kid, I had my own little "gang" of followers, used to make up imaginative games and role play etc).

Yet Ni was near equal to the Fi, and Ne-Ni doesn't seem to make any sense (opposite?). Yet in MBTI I score as either INTP (which I do identify with mostly, reading the posts here) or INFP (they seem to cling too much to their beliefs, but otherwise a good fit), with the T and F always very close (less than 5%).
And when I read the descriptions of those three types, I fit in equally with all three.

So I either don't know myself at all, which is surprising, because I've spent 15 years gazing inward to the point of madness sometimes.
Or I'm just.. um.. complicated.
Or this is as accurate as the horoscope (I'm aquarius by the way! haha).

Either way, I'm glad I found this forum. There seems to be a good percentage of open-mindedness amongst INTPs so I'd rather identify with this.
Though I'm constantly afraid I'll be seen as an outsider.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. :frustrating:
No, no, no...nothing wrong with a good rant. We love having things to analyze!:tongue:

What I'm saying is that there are certain orders cognative functions can go in, and no others. The tests have often confused this, because people assume if they score a certain way, that's the way they are, but certain orders are actually impossible. Everyone needs a judging function - T/F - and periceiving function - S/N - of opposite orientations - I/E as their first two functions. This is because if one gathers information from the outside world (Se/Ne) it must be judged internally (Ti/Fi). Judging externally (Te/Fe) requires inspiration, or a worldview to draw from, which requires what is (somewhat oxymoronically) called introverted perception (Si/Ni).

We obviously need to do a bit of both. So if your first two functions are Ne and Fi, a pair that gathers from the ourtside and judges inside, you will need a counterbalance, one that draws inspiration from the inside and judges in an organizational method outside.

But that backup cannot just be anything. For the sake of balance, it must use the rejected functions, S and T. So Te and Si become the backup functions, because they are the rejected functions needed for balance and also are a pair that organizes/directs the external world. For the sake of balance, the T must come before the S; because the other pair did more percieving, this one must do more judging. These cannot rise above the other two, because that would change the personality type. And they must stick beside each other, because they both work well together. Ne witout Ti/Fi would be making connections and gathering information, but none of it would have meaning. T/F gives it meaning.

We have four other functions, but they contradict the other ones. You can't switch back and forth between Ti/Fi, because they have the same job. Only one function can hold the position, or great confusion would arise in the personality. A mind needs closure. So they are pushed into the subconscious, but they continue to inspire us by giving us instinctual insight. We aren't aware of them working and can't experience them, but they keep our brain sane.

Most people new to the theory make this mistake. You're not alone. It is not easily and concisely explained. But the facts remain: the orderof the functions is your personality type. They are one and the same. Changing functional order is impossible, because it is equivalent to changing type, and this cannot be done without wiping your memories. It is suggested by the shape of the brain. INFJ's for instance, usually have eyes that are fairly wide apart; it is actually possible to type people anatomically and even based on body language if you are extremely well trained, needless to say most people are not capable of this and many types do not have the natural talent to be very good at it. Also keep in mind bodies can develop differently depending on what nutrition they get in childhood and their metabolism can of course very. INTP's and INFP's are well known for being skinny, but one with family genes predisposing them to gaining weight will be a little worse off (moobs ftw...lol, I'll stop making fun of myself). Your brain can be rewired, but the way you use the brain, which trancends it, cannot. It is a pattern you are stuck in. The only way to escape it is literally to die and to have a new person reborn in your old brain.

The theory is not well explained and the limitations are understandably bothersome. I wish things weren't so. But this stuff seems to hold up...

Did any of this help?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes it does, but I'll PM you with some questions, if it's OK?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm type 8w7. Very very uncommon for INTP. My behaviours and thought processes are often paradoxical as I'm overly aggressive and can't stand to fade into the background, but at the same time I'm fairly detached and want little to do with people.
You being an INTP and a 8w7 seems so terribly unlikely.... how can you be so sure? You know disintigrates into 7 right..... plus improves into 8, so if you were a 5 you would have qualities of both the 7 and 8 as well. (depending on your mood)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts