Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a college student who is interested in psychology and personality. A buddy of mine who is majoring in psychology put together a Big Five test as part of research for our school. We're trying to pinpoint what correlations might exist between the Enneagram constructs and Big Five traits. I've provided a link to the test at the end of this post and we encourage you all to take it. After we've received a sufficient amount of responses, we'll crunch the numbers and get back to you with our findings :)

Happy test taking!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1H_16Xulq0MMxbP_-y-PXjVUsFzfIzLzByeo86wUEh-s/edit?ts=5c2d6453

·
Registered
SLI ~ 4w3/6w5 ~ sp/sx ~ FUCK YOU 2020
14,163 Posts
Done!

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Ok. I know I test extraordinarily high in openness but much lower in everything else like being agreeable or organized. I can take your little quiz I suppose. I used to be friends with a clinical psychologist who said big five was the only reliable personality theory accepted, which is fucking creepy since it idealizes stable ENFJ. If you want to know what is wrong with the psych system look no further than big five. Was seeing a guy for a while with psych degree determined to challenge the state of things in grad school for clinical psychology by offering Native Americans and Far East Asian views. I really agreed with him yet at the same time am like, oh INFJ you think you can change the system from within. On the other hand I use the system to afford me the ability to destroy it.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Also the fact that it doesn't show results is creepy. Just took it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
A sample of forumites pretty much ensures that your sample is going to be garbage.

Some background information on this: It's calculated from 241 people who were live typed by Enneagram Institute staff and given a personality measure from which the Big 5 can be calculated. The researchers did so, and the results line up quite well with what the books say the types are like, as well as eg. the Institute misidentifications. This is basically another, independent description of the people who'd been manually typed by Institute staff, in a language that's divorced from the Enneagram's particular hangups.

Ok. I know I test extraordinarily high in openness but much lower in everything else like being agreeable or organized. I can take your little quiz I suppose. I used to be friends with a clinical psychologist who said big five was the only reliable personality theory accepted, which is fucking creepy since it idealizes stable ENFJ. If you want to know what is wrong with the psych system look no further than big five. Was seeing a guy for a while with psych degree determined to challenge the state of things in grad school for clinical psychology by offering Native Americans and Far East Asian views. I really agreed with him yet at the same time am like, oh INFJ you think you can change the system from within. On the other hand I use the system to afford me the ability to destroy it.
Most other personality systems aren't born from an empirical investigation, not much you can do about that. Furthermore, things like Enneagram are actively built to resist refinement along certain lines, while the five-factor model is actively developed and subject to scrutiny.

The Big Five system doesn't idealize shit - society does. There's clear consequences to being very reward-driven and full of positive emotion and lacking in those areas, clear consequences to being prone to experiencing negative emotions and having a low negative response. The same goes for drive and orderliness and lack thereof, as well as curiosity and cognitive explorativeness and different degrees of dispositional empathy.

It's easy to say that a sociable, emotionally stable, curious, kindly, conscientious person is ideal. But are they really? Most CEOs are below average on Agreeableness - they have to be, since they have to craft an efficient machine to keep themselves and their people employed and turn a profit. Firing people is hard, it's not something you can really do if every decision tears your heart to shreds. Good discussions sometimes need a lack of care for other people's feelings and care for stating the truth or some unsaid perspective. Most mountain climbers who try to scale the Everest (a goodly chunk of whom die trying)? Stable extraverts who throw their lives away precisely because they're highly sensitive to reward and undersensitive to threat and risk. These are just some examples.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts