415 Posts
And the point in this?

Reactions: zallla

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Type 3. Not Hufflepuff.

@Swordsman of Mana

I didn't even recognize you at first with your new avatar!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Type 3s are Slytherins. 3s and Slytherins have a similar mentality; it's very strattegical, very "The end justifies the mean". Furthermore, the principal requirement for Slytherin House and type 3 identification is ambition. Both value efficiency and success very much.

And I agree with @Rim that 6s are Gryffindors. As many know, true courage isn't the absence of fear, but taking action in spite of it. Sounds very counterphobic Six. Not to mention, type six virtue is courage. Needing security often leads one to value courage.

I agree with the correlation you made for type 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9. But type 5 is the stereotypical Ravenclaw and I don't beleive 4s can be associated with any House.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Type 3s are Slytherins. 3s and Slytherins have a similar mentality; it's very strattegical, very "The end justifies the mean". Furthermore, the principal requirement for Slytherin House and type 3 identification is ambition. Both value efficiency and success very much.
Under a lot of stress, maybe. In general, probably not. A lot of threes have morals.

Reactions: Nymma

·
Registered
485 Posts
Under a lot of stress, maybe. In general, probably not. A lot of threes have morals.
I know; I am an example of a 3w4 with morals. I would never do something amoral or against my values just to win. Nevertheless, the type 3 mentality is a naturally strattegical one, success-oriented, which goes with Slytherin House. You can still have morals and have a primairly pragmatic worldview.

Unfortunately, JKRowling has chosen to portray Slytherin rather negatively in the books. She seems to have a personal aversion for ambition. Every ambitious character in the series get bashed at one point. Voldemort had ambition and is evil. Both Percy and Dumbledore made questionable decisions in their lives--And JKR blames that on ambition. Even Hermione, who I type as a 3w4 1w2 5w6(while she supercially appears core 1, she gets all her feelings of worth on her accomplishments and cannot stand someone doing better than her), suddenly drops all her values(intelligence, knowledge seeking, ambition) at the end of book one for courage and friendship.

"Me? Books and cleverness? There are far more important things, like courage and frienship"--Just from memory. I like that she has realized the value of frienship and courage and that she has dropped her black and white views that goody-two-shoes and better grades=better person, but it annoys me that she looses her regard for ambition. I would have been fine with it had JKR invented one character with morals who sticks with valuing ambition.

I really got the impression that JKR thinks that ambition=evil and Slytherin=evil, which is totally false. I wished she had introduced us to one good Slytherin character in the trio's generation. Sure, there's Regulus, Severus(my personal favorite) and Slughorn, but they fail to bring down the stigma attached to Slytherin because 1)Most readers think in a black-and-white way--at the end, they're still screaming:" Snape and Regulus were EVVUUUL because they were Death Eaters(no matter that they didn't necessarily join to kill muggle-borns and that both quit to save loved ones) and everyone in the good side are good guys!(ignoring the fact that some of them liked to choke people with soap and expose the genitals of their classmate for fun)." and 2)Slughorn also fails to destroy the stereotype as he is portrayed as a manipulative old man who avoided taking sides until the end.

I've always felt that passivity was encouraged. Harry's lack of ambition was praised and people who did stupidly reckless things were categorized as more moral than the ones who reflected before acting & took actions with a long-term view in mind.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I know; I am an example of a 3w4 with morals. I would never do something amoral or against my values just to win. Nevertheless, the type 3 mentality is a naturally strattegical one, success-oriented, which goes with Slytherin House. You can still have morals and have a primairly pragmatic worldview.

Unfortunately, JKRowling has chosen to portray Slytherin rather negatively in the books. She seems to have a personal aversion for ambition. Every ambitious character in the series get bashed at one point. Voldemort had ambition and is evil. Both Percy and Dumbledore made questionable decisions in their lives--And JKR blames that on ambition. Even Hermione, who I type as a 3w4 1w2 5w6(while she supercially appears core 1, she gets all her feelings of worth on her accomplishments and cannot stand someone doing better than her), suddenly drops all her values(intelligence, knowledge seeking, ambition) at the end of book one for courage and friendship.

"Me? Books and cleverness? There are far more important things, like courage and frienship"--Just from memory. I like that she has realized the value of frienship and courage and that she has dropped her black and white views that goody-two-shoes and better grades=better person, but it annoys me that she looses her regard for ambition. I would have been fine with it had JKR invented one character with morals who sticks with valuing ambition.

I really got the impression that JKR thinks that ambition=evil and Slytherin=evil, which is totally false. I wished she had introduced us to one good Slytherin character in the trio's generation. Sure, there's Regulus, Severus(my personal favorite) and Slughorn, but they fail to bring down the stigma attached to Slytherin because 1)Most readers think in a black-and-white way--at the end, they're still screaming:" Snape and Regulus were EVVUUUL because they were Death Eaters(no matter that they didn't necessarily join to kill muggle-borns and that both quit to save loved ones) and everyone in the good side are good guys!(ignoring the fact that some of them liked to choke people with soap and expose the genitals of their classmate for fun)." and 2)Slughorn also fails to destroy the stereotype as he is portrayed as a manipulative old man who avoided taking sides until the end.

I've always felt that passivity was encouraged. Harry's lack of ambition was praised and people who did stupidly reckless things were categorized as more moral than the ones who reflected before acting & took actions with a long-term view in mind.
No wonder I hated Harry so much. His passivity really did put my blood pressure through the roof at times.

But you make an excellent point about JK and her trend to subvert characters who have ambition. You've given me a thought to chew on for the next couples days. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
No wonder I hated Harry so much. His passivity really did put my blood pressure through the roof at times.

But you make an excellent point about JK and her trend to subvert characters who have ambition. You've given me a thought to chew on for the next couples days. Thanks!
Although she is much more balanced in her portrayal in some of the descriptions I've read from Pottermore.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Although she is much more balanced in her portrayal in some of the descriptions I've read from Pottermore.
I agree. Also she mentioned some of the Slytherins returning back to Hogwarts with Slughorn to fight against Voldemort (Battle of Hogwarts) in an interview. It would have been nice if that detail was included in the books but it was still interesting to hear about.

·
Registered
558 Posts
7w8 and Slytherin here. I think a lot of 1s could also be Gryffindors.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gryffindor:
- 3w2
- 4w3
- 6w7

Hufflepuff:
- p6

Ravenclaw:
- 1w9