Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Just did my first enneagram vid chat, with @MissyMaroonWe really got to have a good interaction and I feel it helped both of us penetrate deeper into this system.It got kinda the same length you come to expect from the MBTI type interaction videoes.Here it is for all to enjoy!
Thanks for sharing guys! Great vid! @MissyMaroon I agree with you that having a foundation of understanding Enneagram really does shed a whole new world of understanding about how one expresses one's own MBTI Type,
unique and separate from others
. Well said!

@hornet I know you like the idea of being both a 5 and a 9; if that works for you, great. For me personally, finding the core allows me to enjoy following the lines of integration and disintegration and understanding my patterns during stress etc. Knowing what unmet needs might exist for that type is also helpful to turn inward and find ways to meet those needs for yourself in a healthy way; which is much more clear in the reading material when a core is chosen. I hope you keep posting here and let us know what you discover. (I'm guessing you're a 5 and have 9 in your tri-type so if this is true, chances are you won't keep us posted though. LOL :tongue:)

Edit: I totally agree that
Enneagram is a much more painful journey than Myers-Briggs
!! :crazy:

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Myself with @Spades in an interaction video between type 5(w6) and 7(w6):
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

All of your sarcastic mentions of stereotypes throughout the vid were Excellent!! :tongue:

I think this discussion had great moments of very intriguing examples of different manifestations of having a 6-wing, as well as how two people that have preferences for Ni can demonstrate the Type 5 and Type 7! I learned a lot.

Loved how @Probably Not asked what's next and the randomizer put up a question mark on que!! LOL

The ending was most entertaining. :cool:

"Fives don't have faces, Fives are just minds in vacuums...." @Spades you seem to have a never ending roll of these wry generalizations! Good Times.

·
Heretic
10,660 Posts
@hornet I know you like the idea of being both a 5 and a 9; if that works for you, great. For me personally, finding the core allows me to enjoy following the lines of integration and disintegration and understanding my patterns during stress etc. Knowing what unmet needs might exist for that type is also helpful to turn inward and find ways to meet those needs for yourself in a healthy way; which is much more clear in the reading material when a core is chosen. I hope you keep posting here and let us know what you discover. (I'm guessing you're a 5 and have 9 in your tri-type so if this is true, chances are you won't keep us posted though. LOL :tongue:)
Well I only like the idea in so far as I have to understand why 5 is deeper than 9.
5 is seeming more likely by the day.
And yes you are correct in me not bothering to keep anyone posted on any progress. XD

·
Heretic
10,660 Posts
What exactly do you mean by this? A question pointed at your subjective state, or the two types in general?
What I mean is that I need to find some criteria that I can point to that indicates that I'm actually for real fixated in a core type.
For right now all I can detect is that wen I think about 5 I feel like a five, when I think about 9 I feel like a nine and when I think about 3 I feel like a three. Is it only limited by my knowledge of the type? Cause then the core type becomes a kind of confirmation bias in my eyes. It is more easy to see how I balance within each triad than seeing how I may be fixated on any one triad, but if I should choose I would say that I'm more stuck in my head and my body coming second with image dragging behind as a third.
So it becomes about what I can identify in my subjective state.
By answering you question I think I answered my own question.
I'm more in my head! =D

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
What I mean is that I need to find some criteria that I can point to that indicates that I'm actually for real fixated in a core type.
For right now all I can detect is that wen I think about 5 I feel like a five, when I think about 9 I feel like a nine and when I think about 3 I feel like a three. Is it only limited by my knowledge of the type? Cause then the core type becomes a kind of confirmation bias in my eyes. It is more easy to see how I balance within each triad than seeing how I may be fixated on any one triad, but if I should choose I would say that I'm more stuck in my head and my body coming second with image dragging behind as a third.
So it becomes about what I can identify in my subjective state.
By answering you question I think I answered my own question.
I'm more in my head! =D
Right, this sort of thing is why I'd approach it without even thinking about enneagram types. Identify what is actually there, and then classify it.

So the question is, what is your core motivating factor? It's a cue to look back at earlier life stages, especially childhood..to introspect, reflect etc.

What kind of concerns did you have growing up? What was your childhood behavior like, what was your predominant state of mind? How have you changed into adulthood, what kind of personal journeys have you found yourself on, how and why? If you could name one factor that has been most important to your life, what has it been?

Etc.

Being "more in your head" does not guarantee you are a type Five. That generality can point to several different types. What do you do in your head?

·
Heretic
10,660 Posts
Right, this sort of thing is why I'd approach it without even thinking about enneagram types. Identify what is actually there, and then classify it.

So the question is, what is your core motivating factor? It's a cue to look back at earlier life stages, especially childhood..to introspect, reflect etc.

What kind of concerns did you have growing up? What was your childhood behavior like, what was your predominant state of mind? How have you changed into adulthood, what kind of personal journeys have you found yourself on, how and why? If you could name one factor that has been most important to your life, what has it been?

Etc.

Being "more in your head" does not guarantee you are a type Five. That generality can point to several different types. What do you do in your head?
Maaaaany questions.... XD
This turned into a massive wall of text about my life.
To not spam this thread I'll turn to the type me forum.

Here is a link.
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-enneagram-type/127941-answering-probably-nots-questions-wall-text.html#post3230994

·
Registered
204 Posts
@Lady Lullaby & @Probably Not,

Still running into unaccustomed molasses in playing fast and loose with this whole framework, but I can now say something intelligent about your awesome vid :)

1) @Probably Not--I had a similar experience in Germany as you had in Japan. Rather than requiring me to have a more Se-in-the-moment learning experience, however, the predominantly Te-Si cultural ethos (there's a right way to do everything, and it's very orderly) challenged my Ne-Ti I-know-where-the-stapler-is web of apparent chaos. Not acceptable. They even made me use a ruler to underline things in my own notes! They're my notes, dammit! If they offend you, don't read my notes! (Ahem.) Other than making my first act upon returning home to dump all my dirty clothes on the floor and sigh contentedly, I was forced to develop my own Rule Utilitaria with a very clear eye to what I actually wanted, and why, which I appreciate.

2) @Lady Lullaby--awesome to know that there's something us NTs can offer relationally, even to those far more reationally-minded than we :) (Re: taking personal time)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not politically correct, @Lady Lullaby, diplomatic :) 9 is my 2ndary in my tritype. I loathe conflict, except for conflict on behalf of truth (head type, ha ha).

Also loved your guys' discussion of Ni being future-focused. I think Ne is more eternal--does that seem right to you?

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Also loved your guys' discussion of Ni being future-focused. I think Ne is more eternal--does that seem right to you?
I think it was the other way around, at that. Ne is objective, hence takes what exists in the now and projects it into what it could be, so it gives various options for how things could evolve, branching out. Ni is subjective, filling in the holes between what exists, finding dynamics and metaperspective.. kind of "eternal" in the sense that it technically has little to do with time. Ni standpoints, as I see them, just exist.

I have more to add to this, probably later. How Se/Ni and Ne/Si work together as pairs is interesting to me.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Not politically correct, @Lady Lullaby, diplomatic :) 9 is my 2ndary in my tritype. I loathe conflict, except for conflict on behalf of truth (head type, ha ha).

Interesting distinction. I went and looked up 'politically correct' to see if I'd meant something different:
behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts
and diplomatic:
Having or showing an ability to deal with people in a sensitive and effective way. Synonyms - tactful
I find that I meant both - - the type 9's I know or what I've understood of 9 so far seems to exemplify a skill at both. I find I am usually similar in my approach to avoiding conflict and my exception is also based on behalf of truth (but it is more subjective as a heart type! :wink:)

I think he had given this topic much more thought than I have to this point. Except to say that I resonated with his ideas that Ni sees time as one long stretch of vision, not necessarily pinpointed by time. But I personally do find my thoughts more future oriented than many other people in my life. Although, I am also very much in touch with my past and it is always a part of the pattern-finding and future-projecting. So I guess the jury is still out for me. I can see why you would think of Ne as more eternal because it is always happening - there are eternal possibilities etc. I think in the way that Ne is possibilities focused, it too is more future focused (what could be) than say Se which is more present/now minded.

I think it was the other way around, at that. Ne is objective, hence takes what exists in the now and projects it into what it could be, so it gives various options for how things could evolve, branching out. Ni is subjective, filling in the holes between what exists, finding dynamics and metaperspective.. kind of "eternal" in the sense that it technically has little to do with time. Ni standpoints, as I see them, just exist.

I have more to add to this, probably later. How Se/Ni and Ne/Si work together as pairs is interesting to me.
Haha - we're kind of on the same wavelength on this I guess. I look forward to reading your other thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I guess from my Ne-dom perspective, future-minded would be a misnomer, because I'm always-minded. Ne does look at the object at hand, but from it spins infinite possible universes that cover how it could have come to pass, what may still lie beneath, and what it could possibly do in the future, all at the same time. The future is not pre-eminant over past and present possibilities.

In my case, being Ti-aux, these are discrete universes with nexus points and calculable probabilities--at least, they seem like they should be calculable. I believe in Hari Seldon :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
That particular part - how would you attribute it to Ne?
Because it's not about the thing itself, but about the hidden causes and pathways and motivators that cause the thing, which is very much N, and about generating infinite possibilities, which is very much e. My inferior Si helps supply me with past context and present details...when and only when my Ne is sufficiently interested, of course. If I'm not interested, I have incredibly crappy observational and recall skills.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Because it's not about the thing itself, but about the hidden causes and pathways and motivators that cause the thing, which is very much N, and about generating infinite possibilities, which is very much e.
Though I don't have your mental experience, I will try speaking from my understanding of the ENTP functional set.

Finding hidden causes, (past) pathways and motivators is something I'd more easily attribute to Ti/Fe and Si, than Ne. Ne is just perception, it gives you snapshot possibilities of what could happen with something that exists. Si contributes knowledge of what you have experienced, personalized sense perception; Fe contributes the vision of how things in the external world relate/interact (often pointed at people, but not necessarily imo); Ti contributes to your ability to understand the differentiation/systemization of these elements. So, a basis for understanding how a thing could have occurred in the first place (Ti+), what pathways could have led up to it (Si/Ti), and what could have motivated it (Fe+).

Generating infinite possibilities IS more like Ne. When I said branching out, I didn't mean just up/out like a tree, I mean I think that Ne branches into any possibility from the object. And as your primary process, it probably provides the shape for all of what happens above, so that you might perceive it to be a product of N(e). But by "future oriented", I mean, if you take it in isolation with Si and eliminate the influence of Ti/Fe or Fi/Te, it essentially builds on Si product to display possibilities for what something could be/become in snapshots. You can imagine that something could change in a pastward direction, to your mind's content, but what exists now (Si/e) can only be changed in the future (Ne). While Ni extracts, from what exists (Se), the (personally judged) likely dynamics behind its being, which can be action in any direction, future/past/implication/etc. depending on what the person sees.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I said branching out, I didn't mean just up/out like a tree, I mean I think that Ne branches into any possibility from the object.
Exactly. Any possibility, in my experience, includes any possible way that we could have gotten to this point. To mangle a quote from Alice in Wonderland, it's a poor sort of generator that only works forwards :)

To give you an illustration, while I love Sherlock Holmes, in all his incarnations, in every incarnation I've been bothered by his certain pronouncements of who did what and why. I can always think of at least three other possibilities that are at least somewhat likely, and feel that he was premature to rule them out.

Now, my judgments of how likely they are are governed by Ti and Fe, for sure. Psychological motivation and statistical likelihood jump in happily to assign favorite status to a few top options, and I'm sure my Ne dips into both if I consciously decide to brainstorm. But I've had those instantaneous, lightning-bolt epiphanies about past, present and future connections alike. Specific examples include word origins (AHA!!!!!!!! Flasche is the modern German decedent of the same Old English root that brought us flask! The original meaning could have been any bottle, a bottle for drink, a bottle with a cap, any container of liquid...) and subtext interpretation (when he said "I was delayed", he was thinking of what happened to him, the blame it puts on someone else, whether Frodo would be helped or hurt by this information and how that would sound more like an excuse than a reason, despite its actual legitimacy, I've felt that disjointed chord before, yay, I'm becoming like Gandalf!), just to name a few.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Exactly. Any possibility, in my experience, includes any possible way that we could have gotten to this point. To mangle a quote from Alice in Wonderland, it's a poor sort of generator that only works forwards :)

To give you an illustration, while I love Sherlock Holmes, in all his incarnations, in every incarnation I've been bothered by his certain pronouncements of who did what and why. I can always think of at least three other possibilities that are at least somewhat likely, and feel that he was premature to rule them out.
I have Holmes typed as an ISTP in my mind, and it seems fitting that you'd have that issue. Se/Ni vs. Ne/Si.

Now, my judgments of how likely they are are governed by Ti and Fe, for sure. Psychological motivation and statistical likelihood jump in happily to assign favorite status to a few top options, and I'm sure my Ne dips into both if I consciously decide to brainstorm. But I've had those instantaneous, lightning-bolt epiphanies about past, present and future connections alike. Specific examples include word origins (AHA!!!!!!!! Flasche is the modern German decedent of the same Old English root that brought us flask! The original meaning could have been any bottle, a bottle for drink, a bottle with a cap, any container of liquid...) and subtext interpretation (when he said "I was delayed", he was thinking of what happened to him, the blame it puts on someone else, whether Frodo would be helped or hurt by this information and how that would sound more like an excuse than a reason, despite its actual legitimacy, I've felt that disjointed chord before, yay, I'm becoming like Gandalf!), just to name a few.

Does that make sense?
Makes sense indeed.

Would you like to do one of these videos at some point?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would you like to do one of these videos at some point?
Why yes, yes I would :) Enneagram, cognitive function, MBTi, or mix-n-match? (I vote for mix-n-match, 'cause I love cognitive functions, but I'd love to learn more about the enneagram, which it seems you probably know more about than I do. I could put it on my YouTube series, the Socratic Forum, and then we could link it up here and there. Right, PMing you for specifics...

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

I know what you mean with Ne being eternal because Ne is like magic. Ne just makes everything seem so much better than it is. It's like a crack pill of sorts.

I just thought of a song that kind of expresses what I meant actually:

21 - 40 of 62 Posts