Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One way to type those around you is to examine their Enneagram talk style. Each type has a unique approach to speaking and writing, which can be picked up on in a matter of minutes. The following is a list of each type and their general mode of communication:

TYPE 1: SERMONS/PREACH & TEACH
Teaching, preaching, finding fault, admonishing, correcting, reminding of obligations
Self-talk: ‘That’s not right’

TYPE 2: SYMPATHIES/HELP & ADVICE/PRAISE & COMPLIMENTS
Befriending, supporting, comforting, offering friendly advice, pitching in, meeting needs, getting personal
Self-talk: ‘You need me’

TYPE 3: SALES PITCHES/PROPAGANDA/SELF-PROMOTION
Promoting, advertising, performing, exclaiming, motivational speeches, success stories
Self-talk: ‘Watch me shine’

TYPE 4: LAMENTS/SAD STORIES
Longing, lamenting, extolling, yearning, regretful sighs, poetic turns of phrase, self-expression
Self-talk: ‘I’m feeling …’

TYPE 5: LECTURES/THESES/TREATISES
Detailed explanations, informative displays of knowledge, definitions, facts, precise instructions, logical, rational arguments
Self-talk: ‘I’m thinking …’

TYPE 6: CAUTIONS/CAVEATS/SETTING LIMITS
Questions, warnings, second-guessing, trouble-shooting, worst-case scenarios, defending / testing
Self-talk: ‘But what if …’

TYPE 7: ANECDOTES/BRAINSTORMING/STORYTELLING
Joking, laughing, story-telling, entertaining, shifting gears, changing venues, sampling, imagining, checking out, moving on
Self-talk: ‘On a lighter note’

TYPE 8: COMMANDS/DIATRIBES/LAYING TRIPS
Arguing, debating, opposing, taking aim, scoring points, parting shots, military metaphors
Self-talk: ‘Do this my way’

TYPE 9: CHRONICLES/SAGAS/EPICS
Recounting sagas, epics, generalizing, day-dreaming aloud, voicing vague notions, wondering, meandering
Self-talk: ‘Nice ’n easy’

(Source)

Try adding this to your skill set the next time you are attempting to help others discover their enneagram types!

·
Registered
418 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH. This seems pretty accurate, as far as I can tell. The only other way I can type Enneagram is seeing into someone's soul. XD

As a 6, I'm totally 6. And I can see the 5 in my ENTP friend, as well as the 1/2 in my ESFJ mom.

Reactions: MBTI Enthusiast

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might be interesting if we did videos of each type talking. I made a video a while back and it was my manner of speech in this video that actually convinced me I was a 9.
That's an interesting idea, although I think there would have to be some good questions discussed. I don't think these talk styles apply as much to solo speaking, but there are definite clues that can be picked up by watching how someone presents themself, too.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Six, seven, and eight for me. Okay, and maybe a dash of one.
@MBTI Enthusiast @MrShatter

I like the idea of videos. Set something up?

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Six, seven, and eight for me. Okay, and maybe a dash of one.
@MBTI Enthusiast @MrShatter

I like the idea of videos. Set something up?
Sure. I'll make a video. I'll procrastinate for a while though :tongue: Do you guys wanna do here or on another thread? I might wait too because I just shaved my head. I'm prefer PerC knew the me that had hair.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
That's an interesting idea, although I think there would have to be some good questions discussed. I don't think these talk styles apply as much to solo speaking, but there are definite clues that can be picked up by watching how someone presents themself, too.
We'll have to study it!

Find someway to appropriately demonstrate each E-type in the video. I think there is a lot more that can be picked up via presentation than one might think. ... ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I know someone that fits the 1 description so perfectly. Everything he says is meant to be a lesson/correction or analyzing whether something someone did or something he saw was correct or right.

I relate to 5, 6, and 9 here. Generally I relate somewhat to all of them, this article, I'd limit it to 5, 6, or 9. I might eliminate 5 because thought I value facts and logic, I'm more generalized than detailed about the little facts. I'm uninterested in exact definitions and only remember what (to me) is important, or the "gist" of it (I'm translating a 5 as more of a highly exacting, close-up and detailed type person). I relate to the 6's trouble-shooting, questioning and second-guessing. I relate to the 9's generalizing, day-dreaming, wondering, or talking about notions.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'm definitely a 4, but I talk like a 7. Completely.

I suppose that's the 4-7-9 tri-type playing out. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
2,4, 7 & 9s def :D but I def don't think I'm a 2 in the prospect of anyone needing me x) but I relate to 4/9 the most I'd think xD

·
Registered
859 Posts
1, 2, 5, 7, and 9 alot.

I do 4 by myself internally, or with someone I actually trust with my feelings.

I can do others as well, but it depends on the situation I'm trying to attract, and accordingly I'll adjust to get the desired result.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts