Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a more updated perspective on this topic see: Correlations for Myers-Briggs/MBTI & Enneagram Types

For individuals who are neither strongly introverted nor extraverted (sometimes called “ambiverts”), there are certain items on the MBTI which can be very frustrating. Being forced to choose, for instance, whether they are reserved or talkative, easy or hard to get to know, can often feel unnatural and difficult. One reason for this, which has yet to be reflected in the MBTI content, is the influential role of intuition and openness to experience in social dealings.

Important Finding #1: Much to my surprise, research indicates openness to experience (a Big Five dimension that corresponds to Myers-Briggs intuition) is the personality dimension most closely related to social intelligence. It is not, as might be commonly believed, one’s degree of introversion or extroversion.

Important Finding #2: A 2008 study entitled, “The Effect of the Enneagram on Measurement of the MBTI Dimensions,” showed that the only dimension positively correlated with Enneagram Type Three (3) is intuition. Moreover, and perhaps more interestingly, 28% of introverted Threes were misreported as extroverts by the MBTI. Again, this diverges from what might be commonly predicted, as many students of type continue to associate the Three with extraversion.

Important Finding #3: Recent studies by James Reynierse and John Harker have shown that intuitives are to some extent more verbal, expressive, engaging, and communicative than sensing types.

In a nutshell, when it comes to how we presents in social situations, we can no longer afford to overlook the S-N dimension nor the relative strength of an individual’s preference in this dimension. The fact is, that those who show a strong preference for intuition will often exhibit social know-how, regardless of their preferences for introversion or extraversion.

So what does this have to do with the Enneagram Three? Based on my observations from forums and type communities, it seems that INFPs, INFJs, INTPs, and INTJs are often slow to identify themselves as 3’s. There are a number of possible reasons for this. One is the strong attraction that INTPs and INTJs have to the Enneagram Five (5) profile. The Five’s self-identity is oriented to the intellect and INT types are often likeminded in this regard. INFP s and INFJs may be slower to consent to the Three designation because the Three is commonly described as displaying an element of vanity, diminished authenticity, and insincerity. In other words, the Three, from their perspective, may come across as morally deficient in the areas they find important.

Despite these tendencies, the study listed under Finding #2 above, indicates that once the potential MBTI shortcomings are recognized and the Enneagram Three type is properly explained, many intuitive introverts, including INFPs, INFJs, INTPs, and INTJs, will find resonance with the Enneagram Three (3) designation.

Perhaps the most salient features of Threes are their ambition, adaptability, and orientation to achievement. For intuitive introverts who have been historically uncertain with regard to their introversion and are highly driven to achieve, the Enneagram Three may serve to fill in at least some of the descriptive gaps that have been heretofore overlooked.

Tell me what you think.

Source: http://personalityjunkie.com/

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Finding 1) Social intelligence? Sounds like the people studying this know about the internal workings of the brain to tell how your built-in intelligence works, or they don't know the Enneagram to tell where the motivation to act this way comes from. I'm going to guess the latter.

Finding 2) The MBTI says you basically function on auto-pilot relying on JCF's derived from the preferences. The desire to associate with people and gain acceptance is not understood by the MBTI, and they're blind the human desires to act outside of their cognitive functions which aren't backed by science.

Finding 3) What you're looking for and desiring is the real matter behind the N. Those who consider themselves a step ahead (N) probably do act better than those who are supposed to be in the moment (S). I think regardless the MBTI skews this matter with their typology and N vs. S is far more complicated than they give it credit for. MBTI means little to me.

Type 3s who are not based around reacting to perceptions of them as some are (F) are highly focused on their striving towards success and less likely to consider themselves changing based on what others think. The strong motivation towards success without a strong understanding of their image creates a belief in that they're a Thinker, but deep down it is about what others think of them and their image of success. So they're a Feeler from a certain angle. The MBTI is telling but not correct nor worth my time.

Love it how that site emphasizes the fact that INTP, INFP, INTJ, & INFJs are there in particular in their name. It communicates typisms presence in the MBTI from the name alone.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Interesting observations. I see no reason whatsoever why Threes can't be introverts. My ISTP brother is likely a 395 (or at least a definite 3 fix). I believe there are two types of Threes, just like there are two types of Sixes. Shame and counter-shame (S and CS?) The CS Threes fit the stereotype better, and they are more likely to appear self-promotional, but the S Threes are very much in the background, wanting to achieve, but never showing off as that would be embarrassing. I don't mean to overgeneralize with those statements, but I very much agree that many people don't realize they are Threes or have a Three fix.

·
Registered
503 Posts
3 is my second preferred type (after 1), and I'm an INTJ. I definitely don't think it's impossible, though introverts might have a harder time with being 3w2 than 3w4 due to the more extroverted energy of the 3w2.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I like that site a lot. I'm an INFJ and also a 3w4, so yes, it's very much possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts