Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you trust the enneagram typing, more, less or as much as you trust Jungian personality typing?

·
Registered
INTP
1,741 Posts
Meh, I don't take these typing things super seriously, though they are fun. But I don't really understand Enneagram... I'm not sure of my Enneatype since half the types sound plausible as my typing whenever I try to learn more about it. Meanwhile, I'm INTP no matter how I look at it so Jungian works better for me.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Call me crazy I think my enneagram changes from time to time. And that's because my mentality towards life changes from time to time. Not long ago I was pretty sure I was type 9. I've stopped being so passive over the past months and thought I should retest. Came out 5. Maybe 5 was my true type and 9 was just a phase? Maybe I'm 9 and I'm going through a phase right now?

Anyway, I appreciate MBTI immensely more.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They're both fantastic in their own right. Enneagram seems to be a bit more detailed, becoming more specific for the individual if going down to the tritype. This both makes the system more and less reliable, as people are subject to change and the test in which one takes will have its own tendency to type differently.
MBTI, on the other hand, is much more vague and simpler.

All in all, I like enneagram better but I see MBTI as more reliable.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I tend to view the Enneagram and MBTI typologies as working together in some ways. I know they are technically separate theories, but if put together I think they can give you a clearer understanding of yourself. I am an INTP, and that describes me fairly well, but I also have different quirks and trivialities that make me different from the "stereotypical" INTP. Enneagram typology can give you some better understanding of those, as it tends to explain thought process and other things in more detail(at least some of the time).

I only took one Socionics test, and have forgotten what my results were(ILI maybe?), but I think it can be said to be in the same category. If we use all the typologies together we can get a much clearer picture of ourselves than we would if we used just one, or all of them separately.

Just my thoughts.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
the systems compliments each other. I wouldn't say they replace each other nor one substitutes either.

but then all systems have flaws regardless.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
I'm surprised more of you haven't come to relate with the core neuroses as a way of validating the enneagram. I thought it was a load of hooey until I read these.

The actual enneagram focuses around core fears as they stand alone, not behavioral descriptions. Most people (even those who are skeptical of the system) are very surprised to notice how self-evident their type is once they understand the fears that drive their behavior. You unfortunately can't get this as well from behavioral descriptions - if you will, the core fears are to the functions as popular enneagram is to MBTI without functions.

Have you read these? They are descriptions of the extreme manifestations of each core fear.

Type 1
Type 2
Type 3
Type 4
Type 5
Type 6
Type 7
Type 8
Type 9

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Call me crazy I think my enneagram changes from time to time. And that's because my mentality towards life changes from time to time. Not long ago I was pretty sure I was type 9. I've stopped being so passive over the past months and thought I should retest. Came out 5. Maybe 5 was my true type and 9 was just a phase? Maybe I'm 9 and I'm going through a phase right now?

Anyway, I appreciate MBTI immensely more.
I would guess you have 5 and 9 both in your tritype, and that's why you go through phases of them.

Anyways, I actually like enneagram more. It was way way easier to figure out my type and for anyone saying the descriptions are too vague, it's really the fears and motivations that are most important.

Reactions: kazerniel

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Do you trust the enneagram typing, more, less or as much as you trust Jungian personality typing?
MBTI is Cognition. I only ever saw it as how someone processes the world.
Enneagram is Psyche.

For example, @Wistfulness and I are both INTPs and in terms of using our functions we are very similar. The thing that makes us very different is how we use those functions and I can kinda explain that with Enneagram.

He is 5w4, 9w1, 4w5 and I am 6w7, 3w2, 1w9. Then if you go by instincts I am So/Sx and he is Sx/Sp. I'm not very good at explaining what each part means but it basically comes down to me being obsessed with shaping and controlling the world and him just questioning it all. Almost all of my thinking is centered around people.

Enneagram and MBTI both don't really account for social upbringing though. I don't think anything really does to the extent that I would like it to.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Jung is good at describing what and how I think.

Enneagram is good at describing how and why I act.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I do, but I think everybody has a bit of each enneagram in them- some are just stronger than others.
Enneagram theorists try to explain it through wings and tri-types, but I don't think it's quite as simple as that. It's why people are often torn between two or more Enneagram types.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I trust Enneagram more, it seems to describe deeper, really meaningful things, while Jung focuses more on the surface operations. Enneagram also seems more clear-cut (once someone really got to the depth of themselves and found their type), while with Jung there are sometimes ambivalent axes and fuzzy typing cases.

Btw I always wanted to ask, why do a lot of people show 3 different enneagram type and wing combinations in their signature? Are those the possible typings or does the person feel like some combination of the 3 or...?

·
Registered
9w1 sp
2,756 Posts
I trust Enneagram more, it seems to describe deeper, really meaningful things, while Jung focuses more on the surface operations. Enneagram also seems more clear-cut (once someone really got to the depth of themselves and found their type), while with Jung there are sometimes ambivalent axes and fuzzy typing cases.

Btw I always wanted to ask, why do a lot of people show 3 different enneagram type and wing combinations in their signature? Are those the possible typings or does the person feel like some combination of the 3 or...?

Those are tritypes. You can read about the theory over some of the stickied threads here: http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/

I don't really have an opinion of either at this time, except my typings from each seem to fit various experiences/aspects of myself and others I know pretty darn well. The Enneagram and the instinctual variants have been my favorites though. I like how they go more into motivations and health levels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts