Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISFJs,

What's your enneagram type?

Apparently, according to the study at this web address:
HTML:
http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/flauttrichards.htm
you are associated with Enneagram type 2 and type 6.

I just wanted to see what other types were around on PC.

Thanks! :)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Yo! I'm a 9. 9w1.
Father is ISFJ 2w1.
Grandma ISFJ 6

I believe ISFJs are most commonly twos and sixes. Sometimes nines. Four is a joker to me, I've seen some ISFJ fours here on PC but I haven't met any IRL so I can't confirm it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
*Sigh....for the life of me I can't figure mine out. I've read the descriptions and a lot of them sound like me. I've taken a few different "tests" and gotten different results.

The two I know for sure that I'm not are 7 and 8. There are three of them that don't feel right to me, and that's 3, 4, and 5. (I "tested" as a strong 5 once, but on the other hand, one time I "tested" as an ISTJ once too, so it's possible there was some connection there).

I think I have elements of 1's, but I don't feel like a 1. Same with 9....I tested as a 9 before, but when I read descriptions it doesn't feel like my main driving force. I think I'm too shy for it...I really like keeping the peace, but I'm not very good at at it.

That leaves 2 and 6, both of which probably drive me more than any others. Sometimes I feel like a 2, sometimes like a 6. I think 6 is probably the most accurate for me overall, but I've never tested as one. Of course, the only "tests" I've done are online, so I'm sure they're not really accurate.

So I'm still confused about it all...

EDIT: Hmmm....I found this link on PerC

http://www.allpersonality.com/index.php/comparing-twos-to-other-types/

And I read the part comparing 2's and 6's. Reading it makes me feel a lot like a 6. Ever since I was a kid I felt more comfortable trusting authority figures than other kids because I felt like they were easy to please, whereas other kids weren't. I was always afraid to be made fun of. And I have had people tell me that I'm quiet and hard to figure out, so I think I do hold back my emotions out of fear.

So I think all in all 6 sounds right for me...I think I have a desire to do the things that 2's and 9's do, and online (such as places like this) I don't have inhibitions and I do them...so that may be where my confusion comes in.

I also think my desire to please authority is what makes me feel like a 1 sometimes. I'm only a perfectionist when trying to please someone else, really.

So at least for now, I think I'm a 6.

Reactions: Rafiki

·
Registered
347 Posts
My husband is an INFJ but has extremely well developed introverted sensing and has occasionally received ISFJ as his result. (And also has extraverted feeling as his auxiliary function.) He is the embodiment of Type 6 (with a 5 wing).

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Teddy, I thought your "type trap" thread was rather four-like so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it! But then again I've noticed 6's write long posts so that could fit! :crazy:
Edit: Looking at the "type trap" thread again I think 6 could fit, they yearn to belong to something.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Teddy, I thought your "type trap" thread was rather four-like so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it! But then again I've noticed 6's write long posts so that could fit! :crazy:
Edit: Looking at the "type trap" thread again I think 6 could fit, they yearn to belong to something.
Actually, I think I can explain why that's not a good thread to base my Enneagram type on.

That was a very reactionary post. It came from the ESTJ thread where people were discussing why ESTJ's were getting bashed a lot, and I realized that it's probably because some people classified all ESTJ's as being exactly alike.

So, I was bothered by that and wanted people to get along. So my feelings were very 9-like at that time, and maybe a little like a 2.

And then I started thinking about how I so often tend to assume that all people of one type are the same, because that gives me peace and security...it's what I want to do. But I didn't want to fall into that "trap" because it might hurt people and have me misunderstand them.

On top of all of this, like I said, I'm pretty different on PerC than I am in real life. I'm much more open and I make such long posts because I usually don't talk this much in real life, unless I'm with someone who I feel comfortable with. On PerC I feel very comfortable saying whatever I want because I know that I won't bore people...if they don't want to read my posts, they don't have to!

So I can see why that post would make you think I'm a 4, but really, I definitely don't have a strong desire to be unique. In fact, until I started learning about the MBTI, I always felt like I was too unique....I felt very lonely in my own head, since I don't really know any other ISFJ's.

EDIT: I just saw your edit. :p I think you're right, there are some 6 elements in there, too.

Reactions: Rafiki and Tucken

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
teddy,

I'm a 6-type. I was really confused as to whether I was a 1 or a 6. I can relate to a lot of the 6-profile, like having a complicated relationship with authority (wanting an authority to trust in because I'm insecure sometimes, but at the same time wishing to be independent and remain authentic). I often obsessively worry about things going wrong. I am very loyal to people and ideas I care about. I'm not sure if I can entirely relate to putting people through a rigorous test before I trust others though. And I'm not sure if I can really see myself as a bundle of contradictions (I know sixes can be nice and mean for example. . . but I'm not really. .. unless I have gotten into a retaliatory mode which is rare).

Best of wishes on figuring out your type!

It's interesting that some of you are fours.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm curious as to why fours may be a rarity for ISFJs? I'm no master at Enneagram so any thoughts are appreciated.

My tri-type is 4-1-5, I think. I see a lot of 6 too. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, hahaha.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
The Enneagram speaks to our base motivational fears in life. I can no longer find it, but there used to be a great website that described how to break the negative cycles generated by your fear.

Here's an example for type 6, since this is the one that gives me problems.

Type 6's feel that they can't trust anyone, they're cynical and suspicious. To break that negative loop, it's easy, you just trust people. Trust people, whether they deserve it or not, whether you should be suspicious or not. Do this within reason, but once your suspicion kicks-in, let go of it and just live.

Then there's type 5, which to break the negative cycle, you basically poor yourself into learning necessary material, so that you feel you're prepared for the world. I've been slacking off on this one lately, I need to get back at it.

Anyway, once you can break those negative cycles, you improve your mood about 100%.

My main issue right now is I have no social life, and therefore, no one to trust. I'm not very motivated in school anymore, so my negative fears are overwhelming me.

Reactions: Rafiki

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm curious as to why fours may be a rarity for ISFJs? I'm no master at Enneagram so any thoughts are appreciated.

My tri-type is 4-1-5, I think. I see a lot of 6 too. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, hahaha.

The typical 4 traits remind me a lot of INF's moreso than ISFJ's. I think it's a lot more natural for an INF to be constantly examining themselves, where they stand in the big picture, who they really are, and how they're unique. They also tend to be more likely to idealize things.

ISFJ's seem to be a lot more concerned about pleasing others, making things run smoothly, and keeping consistency. We just seem simpler, I guess. It seems to lend itself to us being more likely to conform rather than want to be unique.

I think more than anything it goes down to the S/N difference. N's are more likely to look to the future and "what could be", whereas S's just focus on the issues in front of them more. SJ's in particular like to value the past, traditions and consistency.

So it's possible that you're just a lot closer along the S/N line than most ISFJ's.

I've read that it's very common for ISFJ's to be 1's, though, along with 2's, 6's and 9's. As far as the 5...like I said, I once tested that way. I've read ISTJ's are often 5's, and they're very similar to ISFJ's. I also picture 5's as being very INT like as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts