Personality Cafe banner
141 - 160 of 254 Posts
As for the original list, here are the Tritypes as I see them:

England 6w5 3w4 1w9

English people seem to be highly concerned with security, success, and the "right" way. Probably sp/so - having a secure job and place in society is highly valued.

United States 3w4 7w8 1w2

I understand why people think that America has 6 or 8 in the tritype - honestly, it makes a lot of sense. But let's look at each center in detail. Heart 3w4 - I don't think many people are debating this; America is about success and image, that's pretty obvious. Head 7w8 - it could also be 7w6, since the wings here are super strong. And that's why everyone thinks America has 6 or 8 in the tritype - the wings on the 7 are incredibly present. American culture as a whole is more interested in novelty, variety, and consumerism than it is in security and playing it safe. Perhaps a case could be made for a modern-day shift from the 7w8 to the 6w7, but the basic essence of the culture is very 7-like. Gut 1w2 - Americans love to tell you how it is. They love to show you the "right" way to do something. Both sides of the political spectrum are incredibly self-righteous, convinced of the positive value of their position, and vocal. It's quite common to see two 1s, one conservative and the other progressive, yelling at each other with the same self-righteous anger. The 2 wing is pretty obvious, since the righteousness is always directed at "improving" others and telling them what to do, rather than the aloof, high-horse sort of energy of the 1w9.

France 4w3 7w6 1w9

Reading some of the remarks here in this thread about France being 3w4 instead of 4w3 were definitely interesting. I considered it, but honestly, having lived in France and being quite immersed in French culture, I simply don't see it. The sharpness and clarity of the 1 and the 7 give the impression of the 3. France is definitely a 4 culture, despite someone's remarks that a 4 culture isn't possible. People need to understand about 4s that, while they aren't enamored with the idea of being like other people, the most important quality of the 4 is not being different from others, but expressing themselves authentically. And France is all about expressing oneself - and then showing it to others, of course (3 wing). Also, lots of French people are constantly claiming that they're "nothing like the stereotype" of the French person. It's a conversation you hear all the time in France: either "I am not like my comrades" or "We (France) are not like the rest of the world". The 1w9 creates an intensely perfectionist streak in the culture, and the conflicting desire for conformity to the rules of society. One of the most common phrases in France is "ça se fait pas", translated roughly as "That is not done". It's an impersonal construction - so, not that "we" don't do that, but it simply "is not done". The 7w6 (with quite the strong 6 wing) shows up quite a lot in that pleasure is highly valued - but it must be refined pleasure (4w3 and 1w9 influence), not a boorish, beastly pleasure.

China 3w4 6w5 9w8

While I am no Sinologist, I would say that China is all about their image and "face" - combination of the 3 and 6 - along with the ignorance of the consequences of their actions (i.e. to the environment, or the geopolitical landscape, or the global economy) that comes along with unhealthy 9w8.

Japan 1w9 6w5 4w3

Japan seems to be about everything being in order, just the way it "should" be. Their dialogue doesn't seem to be directed at helping others, but more at maintaining order - so 1w9 rather than 1w2. There's quite a lot of desire for conformity and social rules - so I wouldn't be surprised if in fact the 6w5 were stronger than the 1w9. As for the 4w3, I see this because of the refinement of the culture and the delicacy of their fine arts. They seem to value self-expression, as long as it is confined to the limits of the socially accepted norms created by the more dominant 1w9 and 6w5. Although perhaps this has changed over the last half-century, as Japan has become more success-oriented - they may have 3w4 wing now.

Germany 6w7 3w2 1w2

Germany is 100% a 6 country. You'd be amazed at how many people on a Friday night all go out in a group wearing the same clothes, or at least the same hat or shirt. These little groups - or as Katherine Fauvre likes to call them, "six packs" - are truly ubiquitous in German cities. I was amazed at just how many there are! On a larger scale, we see German politics always leaning on social values. As for the 3w2, I think it's pretty clear that its 3 - they are oriented towards success, and image is a large part of German society. Perhaps they have a 4 wing...although I just get a more 3w2 vibe (pure intuition here, no reasoning behind it). The gut is the trickiest. Sometimes I think they have 8, sometimes I think they have 1. I used to think it was definitely 1 because of the stereotype of the stress on rules and order, for example with recycling. But you'd be amazed at how much litter there is in German streets and forests. Maybe it's an expression of the resistance to such rules and the result of 1-like repression. I think the 8-ish vibe comes from the influences of the 3 and the 6 - and also, there really is a lot of 8 in Germany in any regard. But I see more 1s there than 8s.

Russia 8w7 3w4 6w5

Russia's big on power and control, and their time as a so-called "communist" country shows this very clearly: they used the ideals of collectivist Marxism (which are very 6-like) in order to create a rationale for over-arching control - which is completely in contradiction with the actual ideal. The 3 probably has a 4 wing, as I see very little evidence of 2 in them and on the other hand there is an emphasis on the arts. The 6 seems to have a 5 wing, as I would say Russia has more of an intellectual streak than a playful one - and the 8w7 accounts for their all-or-nothing style of pleasure-seeking. The 6 also shows up in the daredevil culture - I've never heard of a culture so obsessed with challenging fear and death through ridiculously dangerous feats.

Italy 7w8 8w9 2w3

I don't have too much rational explanation for this typing; it's more of an intuitive typing based on symbolism I've seen in Italian and Italian-American media. I've spent only a few months overall in Italy, but I still feel this typing is accurate - the 7 is seen in the love for food and arts, the 8 in the intense, pushy energy of the people, and the 2 in the nurturing aspect of the culture (especially seen in the stereotypical Italian mother, pushing food on her children).

Here are few more typings that I've figured out through my travels:

Portugal 4w5 9w1 6w7

Bulgaria 4w3 8w9 6w7 (the 8 may very well lead, however...very tricky, especially since the 9 wing is so intense)

India 4w3 7w6 9w1

Brasil 7w8 4w3 9w8

England 6w5 3w4 1w9

English people seem to be highly concerned with security, success, and the "right" way. Probably sp/so - having a secure job and place in society is highly valued.

I understand why people think that America has 6 or 8 in the tritype - honestly, it makes a lot of sense. But let's look at each center in detail. Heart 3w4 - I don't think many people are debating this; America is about success and image, that's pretty obvious. Head 7w8 - it could also be 7w6, since the wings here are super strong. And that's why everyone thinks America has 6 or 8 in the tritype - the wings on the 7 are incredibly present. American culture as a whole is more interested in novelty, variety, and consumerism than it is in security and playing it safe. Perhaps a case could be made for a modern-day shift from the 7w8 to the 6w7, but the basic essence of the culture is very 7-like. Gut 1w2 - Americans love to tell you how it is. They love to show you the "right" way to do something. Both sides of the political spectrum are incredibly self-righteous, convinced of the positive value of their position, and vocal. It's quite common to see two 1s, one conservative and the other progressive, yelling at each other with the same self-righteous anger. The 2 wing is pretty obvious, since the righteousness is always directed at "improving" others and telling them what to do, rather than the aloof, high-horse sort of energy of the 1w9.

France 4w3 7w6 1w9

Reading some of the remarks here in this thread about France being 3w4 instead of 4w3 were definitely interesting. I considered it, but honestly, having lived in France and being quite immersed in French culture, I simply don't see it. The sharpness and clarity of the 1 and the 7 give the impression of the 3. France is definitely a 4 culture, despite someone's remarks that a 4 culture isn't possible. People need to understand about 4s that, while they aren't enamored with the idea of being like other people, the most important quality of the 4 is not being different from others, but expressing themselves authentically. And France is all about expressing oneself - and then showing it to others, of course (3 wing). Also, lots of French people are constantly claiming that they're "nothing like the stereotype" of the French person. It's a conversation you hear all the time in France: either "I am not like my comrades" or "We (France) are not like the rest of the world". The 1w9 creates an intensely perfectionist streak in the culture, and the conflicting desire for conformity to the rules of society. One of the most common phrases in France is "ça se fait pas", translated roughly as "That is not done". It's an impersonal construction - so, not that "we" don't do that, but it simply "is not done". The 7w6 (with quite the strong 6 wing) shows up quite a lot in that pleasure is highly valued - but it must be refined pleasure (4w3 and 1w9 influence), not a boorish, beastly pleasure.

China 3w4 6w5 9w8

While I am no Sinologist, I would say that China is all about their image and "face" - combination of the 3 and 6 - along with the ignorance of the consequences of their actions (i.e. to the environment, or the geopolitical landscape, or the global economy) that comes along with unhealthy 9w8.

Japan 1w9 6w5 4w3

Japan seems to be about everything being in order, just the way it "should" be. Their dialogue doesn't seem to be directed at helping others, but more at maintaining order - so 1w9 rather than 1w2. There's quite a lot of desire for conformity and social rules - so I wouldn't be surprised if in fact the 6w5 were stronger than the 1w9. As for the 4w3, I see this because of the refinement of the culture and the delicacy of their fine arts. They seem to value self-expression, as long as it is confined to the limits of the socially accepted norms created by the more dominant 1w9 and 6w5. Although perhaps this has changed over the last half-century, as Japan has become more success-oriented - they may have 3w4 wing now.

Germany 6w7 3w2 1w2

Germany is 100% a 6 country. You'd be amazed at how many people on a Friday night all go out in a group wearing the same clothes, or at least the same hat or shirt. These little groups - or as Katherine Fauvre likes to call them, "six packs" - are truly ubiquitous in German cities. I was amazed at just how many there are! On a larger scale, we see German politics always leaning on social values. As for the 3w2, I think it's pretty clear that its 3 - they are oriented towards success, and image is a large part of German society. Perhaps they have a 4 wing...although I just get a more 3w2 vibe (pure intuition here, no reasoning behind it). The gut is the trickiest. Sometimes I think they have 8, sometimes I think they have 1. I used to think it was definitely 1 because of the stereotype of the stress on rules and order, for example with recycling. But you'd be amazed at how much litter there is in German streets and forests. Maybe it's an expression of the resistance to such rules and the result of 1-like repression. I think the 8-ish vibe comes from the influences of the 3 and the 6 - and also, there really is a lot of 8 in Germany in any regard. But I see more 1s there than 8s.

Russia 8w7 3w4 6w5

Russia's big on power and control, and their time as a so-called "communist" country shows this very clearly: they used the ideals of collectivist Marxism (which are very 6-like) in order to create a rationale for over-arching control - which is completely in contradiction with the actual ideal. The 3 probably has a 4 wing, as I see very little evidence of 2 in them and on the other hand there is an emphasis on the arts. The 6 seems to have a 5 wing, as I would say Russia has more of an intellectual streak than a playful one - and the 8w7 accounts for their all-or-nothing style of pleasure-seeking. The 6 also shows up in the daredevil culture - I've never heard of a culture so obsessed with challenging fear and death through ridiculously dangerous feats.

Italy 7w8 8w9 2w3

I don't have too much rational explanation for this typing; it's more of an intuitive typing based on symbolism I've seen in Italian and Italian-American media. I've spent only a few months overall in Italy, but I still feel this typing is accurate - the 7 is seen in the love for food and arts, the 8 in the intense, pushy energy of the people, and the 2 in the nurturing aspect of the culture (especially seen in the stereotypical Italian mother, pushing food on her children).

Portugal 4w5 9w1 6w7

Bulgaria 4w3 8w9 6w7 (the 8 may very well lead, however...very tricky, especially since the 9 wing is so intense)

India 4w3 7w6 9w1

Brasil 7w8 4w3 9w8
Any thoughts on Spain?

Actually, I don't think the USA has much 1-ish culture at all. It may have as late as the 1940's and 1950's, but absolutely not anymore.

There is very little concern in the USA for doing things to a standard. In fact, the style of self-forgetting in type 1 (which is along the lines of foregoing one's personal desires for principle) is often vilified in American culture, as is the 1-ish habit of awareness of faults/not being good enough, and focusing on what could be better. American culture, instead, carries the message that everyone is just wonderful as they are, should be relaxed as they are, not focus on flaws, accept everyone, and follow dreams. It is extremely rare that anything in American media, entertainment, or communication resorts to stringent, "boring," "limited" structures; instead, we either return to old familiar, comfortable habits guided by fuzzy ideals (9), or synthetic and trite stimulation/sensuality (7). The sloth is in attachment to the ideal of being "the best in the world," but not moving a whole lot out of that comfort zone to maintain it, and the attachment to/merging with others from the outside.

I think America is very much a 9-ish country. The President is also a 9.

Actually, I don't think the USA has much 1-ish culture at all. It may have as late as the 1940's and 1950's, but absolutely not anymore.

There is very little concern in the USA for doing things to a standard. In fact, the style of self-forgetting in type 1 (which is along the lines of foregoing one's personal desires for principle) is often vilified in American culture, as is the 1-ish habit of awareness of faults/not being good enough, and focusing on what could be better. American culture, instead, carries the message that everyone is just wonderful as they are, should be relaxed as they are, not focus on flaws, accept everyone, and follow dreams. It is extremely rare that anything in American media, entertainment, or communication resorts to stringent, "boring," "limited" structures; instead, we either return to old familiar, comfortable habits guided by fuzzy ideals (9), or synthetic and trite stimulation/sensuality (7). The sloth is in attachment to the ideal of being "the best in the world," but not moving a whole lot out of that comfort zone to maintain it, and the attachment to/merging with others from the outside.

I think America is very much a 9-ish country. The President is also a 9.
Actually, I'd argue the country has a strong moralistic bent, though I'd type it as 371. It's definitely buried underneath all the 3ish success chasing, but it's there. Every anti-abortion billboard with photos of fetuses or announcing that "Jesus loves you" is a manifestation of that, as are all the people who will tell off random strangers for smoking or being overweight or who criticize women for "dressing like sluts" and those who obsess over the private lives of our politicians to the point that we care more about their marital fidelity than policy positions. It's not so noticeable to Americans that have lived here their entire lives, but it's extremely obvious to people who visit the country; one of the most common surprises for European or even Anglosphere visitors to the US is how everybody is always telling you how you should behave or live, a rigid and pervasive moralism that underlines our obsession with success. Our politicians and their rhetoric reflects this; we attribute success to innate personal characteristics, degrading the poor and valorizing the wealthy because of inflexible beliefs in meritocracy and a cultural tendency to ignore the role social structure plays in life outcomes when condemning the unfortunate.

The US used to be core 1 in the past, in the days of Weberian Protestant work ethic and austere religious revival movements, but that weakened (at least in urban areas) in the 20s, came back to life in the Depression years, and gave way to 3 and 6 in the McCarthy years. We've since shifted to consumerism and showy phoniness, but there's still a pronounced moralistic bent beneath it all, guilting us for our consumerism and self-indulgence. This country is anything but "live and let live".

Actually, I'd argue the country has a strong moralistic bent, though I'd type it as 371. It's definitely buried underneath all the 3ish success chasing, but it's there. Every anti-abortion billboard with photos of fetuses or announcing that "Jesus loves you" is a manifestation of that, as are all the people who will tell off random strangers for smoking or being overweight or who criticize women for "dressing like sluts" and those who obsess over the private lives of our politicians to the point that we care more about their marital fidelity than policy positions. It's not so noticeable to Americans that have lived here their entire lives, but it's extremely obvious to people who visit the country; one of the most common surprises for European or even Anglosphere visitors to the US is how everybody is always telling you how you should behave or live, a rigid and pervasive moralism that underlines our obsession with success. Our politicians and their rhetoric reflects this; we attribute success to innate personal characteristics, degrading the poor and valorizing the wealthy because of inflexible beliefs in meritocracy and a cultural tendency to ignore the role social structure plays in life outcomes when condemning the unfortunate.

The US used to be core 1 in the past, in the days of Weberian Protestant work ethic and austere religious revival movements, but that weakened (at least in urban areas) in the 20s, came back to life in the Depression years, and gave way to 3 and 6 in the McCarthy years. We've since shifted to consumerism and showy phoniness, but there's still a pronounced moralistic bent beneath it all, guilting us for our consumerism and self-indulgence. This country is anything but "live and let live".
I was going to reply to Figure with more or less a similar response. @Figure: I see what you mean about the 9 energy, and quite a few presidents have been 9 (Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton - a 937 according to the Fauvres, and Obama - probably 935 or 936). Despite this, I strongly believe that America is 371, rather than 379. The moralistic, judgmental attitude is all-pervasive: in the media, we either hear the fundamentalist right-wing moralism or we hear the progressive left-wing moralism. They're both yelling at each other with the righteous anger of the idealistic activist, fighting for the cause they believe in, reforming the world one rabid speech at a time. The puritanical streak in America is very strong: there is a lot of "should" in the rhetoric.

England is far more 1 and 5, and then, maybe some 6. You'll find far more 6 in Germany.
Very true. I went to London for Christmas and the New Year...and man, did it hit me how much 5 they have! They truly want to get to the bottom of things, they keep to themselves (more or less), and there is an incredibly strong academic tendency to the culture. Also, instead of 3 I see a lot more 4 - the English have to be different from everyone else, e.g. "We're not European!"

The reason I may have thought that they lean more towards 6 and 3 is that nowadays, with all the immigrants in London (and the rest of the country, but less so), there is more of the Inner Triangle 639 energy, which I call the "Everyman". I call it the Everyman because everyone has at least secondary wings of 6, 3, and 9; whereas in my tritype (794), for example, there is no 2 wing. So with a large influx of people coming from all over the world, you'll get a lot of 6s, 3s, and 9s.

I revise my typing of England to the following: 5w6 1w9 4w3.

America isn't about degrading the poor or valorizing the wealthy.

England 6w5 3w4 1w9

France 4w3 7w6 1w9

China 3w4 6w5 9w8

Japan 1w9 6w5 4w3

Germany 6w7 3w2 1w2

Russia 8w7 3w4 6w5

Italy 7w8 8w9 2w3

Portugal 4w5 9w1 6w7

India 4w3 7w6 9w1

Brasil 7w8 4w3 9w8
Any thought of countries around South East Asia, perhaps?

Ha, I'm surprised there's even one mention of BG.

I was going to say 6 (being terrorized for centuries while everyone stood and watched) - 8 (dreaming of vengeance and never trusting again) - 1 ("we need to be perfect so this doesn't happen again")

'Murica:

Overall: 8w9
Historically: 8w7

Regionally:
The Bible Belt: 2w1
The northeast: 5w4
Vegas: 7w6
Northwest: 4w5
Some remote area where the tin-foil hat people hide out: 6w5

South Korea: 3w4
North Korea: cp 6w5
Canada: 9w1

141 - 160 of 254 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.