Personality Cafe banner

Enneagram Types of Contemporary Countries

266K views 253 replies 142 participants last post by  Questionner 
#1 ·
"People often ask if countries have a particular personality type. (In a similar vein, they ask if companies and organizations have a specific personality style—and if religions do as well.)

... countries do seem to have a dominant personality type (or perhaps more appropriately, style), although we have observed that, in any country at a given time, three dominant types seem to be the main components of the "national character." These three dominant types not only color the personality of the country as a whole, they also change from historical era to historical era. For example, we think that the United States in 2003 is culturally predominantly a Three, Six, and Seven country. This means that we see the Three's drive for success, fame, status, narcissism, and concern for their career and image are major themes in the current American character. This is joined by the Seven's love of the new and immediate, their high energy, love of change and variety, and insatiable consumerism. Added to these two threads are the Six's traditionalism, conservatism, respect for law, authority and institutions, "family values," and apprehensiveness about the future. These three types (seen metaphorically and psychologically) are the three uppermost elements in the American psyche at this time.

The following assignment of three personality styles in the national character of several countries is, of course, an educated guess until appropriate empirical research can be done."

The Personality Types (Styles) of Contemporary Countries

EnglandTypes One, Five, and Six
United StatesTypes Three, Six, and Seven
FranceTypes Three, Four, and Seven
ChinaTypes Three, Eight, and Nine
JapanTypes Six, Four, and Five
GermanyTypes Six, Five, and Eight
RussiaTypes Six, Eight, and Four
ItalyTypes Eight, Two, and Seven
(Source: Don Riso and Russ Hudson)

These types were hypothesized in 2003. Do you agree with these types today? What types would you give other nations? Discuss! :happy:

See less See more
#6 ·
Yup, as a whole, Canada is definitely a 9. With tritype I'd say Canada is a 9-2-5. Although I think it varies by province too...Quebec seems very 4ish. I'd say Alberta, where I live, is 3 or 8.

#3 ·
Many things make up America, MBTI types, Eannegram, Culture, Beliefs and more. Trying to fit the major themes into Eannegram types is like trying to take a solution and put it into one ingredient category for each solution. Many factors play into America's major personalities or any other country. And I could argue that type 6 for America's personality is actually ISTJ if I went to MBTI and used the same description for them. So I am not trying to start a debate (I hate debates lol) just pointing it out that many things affect the overall picture.

#13 ·
Don't worry, I won't debate my ass off.

Many things fit into the enneagram as well. The more value we give to a specific characteristic, the more we can define a type. I am a 1w9 sx/so 147 but I am pretty sure that I have a characteristic of a 6 somewhere in my personality.

As for the US, I prefer to see them as an ENTJ 3w4 sp/sx 368 with a strong 4 wing. The US basically "invented" capitalism. Plus Americans are very ambitious people who work lots of hours per week. Sorry for the stereo typing here. In all honesty, I think the 6 and 8 haven't been exactly at a healthy level the last 10 years or maybe even longer.

#9 ·
Not sure I agree with this. My boyfriend is Japanese and I have had several Japanese friends. And they all have a STRONG 1. This attributes to getting into elite schools and always expecting the best from their work and from their social behavior.

Also while I am an Amerian 7. I am never up on the latest trends and I detest consumerism. My family is always trying to get me to buy new clothes. HOWEVER, I jump job to job, changed my major in college seven times, colleges three, grad schools twice and have never lived anywhere longer than three years.

#15 ·
I found 156 for England to be oh so very accurate!!!! Rational, self controlled, secretive, isolated, security orientated, suspicious, rebellious...
On a more positive note I would say also idealistic, responsible, engaging, innovative.

Reactions: MBTI Enthusiast
#16 ·
Russia is a type 8 culture, as for the other two types I feel that modern Russia has a bit of 3 in it now but its possible that its influence is very small. But overall, Russia, like Afghanistan has never really been conquered. Napoleon and Hitler have both met their demise there.

Japan is a type 1 society that demands conformity

Germany feels type 5w6 to me every time I visit while England feels more 5w4

Italy being a type 2? That is spot on LOL

France overall is a type 7, Paris is a type 4.

Spain is probably a 7,9

If Texas was a country it would be 1,6,8

#19 ·
United States (in general): 3w2>6w7>1w2 So/Sp
United States (New York): 8w7>3w4>5w6 Sp/??
United States (Midwest): 6w7>2w3>8w9 So/Sx
United States (West Coast): 4w3/7w?/9w8 So/Sx
United States (South): 3w2 or 2w3>8w9>6w7 So/Sx

I think West Coast would be 7w6 and 9w1 not 8.

Massachusetts would be - 3w2, 5w6 and 8w7.
Vermont would be - 4w5, 7w6, 9w8

#24 ·

Canada: 9w1
USA: 3w4
Mexico: 6w7
Brazil: 7w8

Scandinavian countries: 6w5
England: 1w2
Scotland: 8w9
Ireland: 6w7?

Germany: 1w9
Netherlands: 9w1
France: 4w3 <3
Switzerland: 5w6
Spain: 7w8?
Italy: 7w6
Russia: 8w9

Lebanon: 7w6
Israel: 6w5
Egypt: 2w1
Iran: 2w1
Saudi Arabia: 1w2
UAE: 7w6

Kazakhstan: 3w2
Uzbekistan: 8w9
Turkmenistan: 5w6

China: 3w4
South Korea: 1w9
Japan: 1w9

#29 ·
Anybody know of a country where a four will feel right at home? I heard Ireland was a 4 and 7ish country. Makes me want to go there and hang out, to see if it is true. haha

#30 ·
Anybody know of a country where a four will feel right at home? I heard Ireland was a 4 and 7ish country. Makes me want to go there and hang out, to see if it is true. haha
From what I've heard, Quebec is 4. Come see us in Montreal, it's a great city!
Ireland is probably great too, but it's farther away!

#41 ·
Italy core 2? Nah, most probably fixed, but not core 2.

I would say:
North Italy: 3w4>1w2>6w7 so/sp (ESTJ)
South Italy: 8w7>2w3>7w8 so/sx (ESFP)

Mmm, some others: (very generic)

USA: 3w2 so/sx
England: 1w2 so/sp
Spain 7w8 sx/so
Japan: 6w5 so/sp
Germany: 6w5 so/sp, same as Japan
Mexico: cp6w7 sx/so
France: 4w3 sx/sp
Switzerland: 5w6 sp/sx
Greece: 9w8 sp/sx
Netherlands: 7w6 sp/so
China: 3w4 so/sp
Canada: 9w1 sx/sp
Serbia: 8w7 sx/sp
Russia: 8w9 so/sp
Finland: 4w5 sx/sp

#53 ·
Netherlands: 7w6 sp/so
LOL

We've been quite tolerant and harmonious for the last few decades but these last few years, if you know our politics and society, stuff has become harsh. Actually, maybe The Netherlands has disintegrated from Nine to Six with the islamophobic and xenophobic atmosphere o.o Also, we're probably 2w3 or 3w2 fixed for our sense of success and solidarity, our Rhineland model for economy. We are quite internationally orientated, always comparing our educational system and what not with other countries. We like to be reliable to our allies, whether politically, economically, or in terms of military strength.

9w1 3w2 6w# So/Sp

#42 ·
I am starting to see the US as more of a 8, 3, 2 country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.