Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there could only be one, which one would you say more accurately describes your personality.
Please explain why.

I'd say the enneagram. The infp description seems too vague and somewhat impractical (we strive to make the world a better place? We are white knights, defenders of the realm, prince/princess's depicted in fairy tales, etc.). Sure the INFP description makes us feel very good about ourselves, but so much of it seems intangible.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
That would be MBTI - MBTI better describes temperament/personality, whereas Enneagram describes more just motivations and things of that nature.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Briggs, far more detailed and consistent with me.

Every time I do the ennegram test it's like throwing dice in the air. I never get the same damn thing, so I just discarded it entirely.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have known the scales would tip in MBTI's favor on an infp forum.:laughing:

i like how the enneagram focuses on our flaws rather than our strengths; i think it is a better tool for self-growth.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I like the Myers Briggs. I find it a lot of easier to understand and determining my type is a lot easier. Plus the similarities between what it says, the people I have met who share the same type and myself are very clear.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I like both, but I find the enneagram to be more intriguing. At the same time, it's only more interesting once you dig into the theories surrounding it: wings, variants, tri-type, etc. MBTI doesn't really have that layer of depth to it. The closest it gets are functions, and even that is bland in comparison.

Using both, though, really seems to draw a picture of a person (though again, not completely). An INFP Four is different from an INFP One, for example; the same is true of an ISTJ Six and an ESFP Six.

·
Registered
759 Posts
MBTI. I tried the enneagram test last night and I was frustrated with the results. I got 7 points each in both 7 and 9 (and then 3-5 in a few other categories too), and when I read the description of each I decided half of it was totally me and the other half was totally not me. And then when I tried to figure out the "wing" part I disagreed with the assessment even further.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Briggs, far more detailed and consistent with me.

Every time I do the ennegram test it's like throwing dice in the air. I never get the same damn thing, so I just discarded it entirely.
That's why you should never rely on tests for these things. They can be very inaccurate.
If you read through the descriptions one by one your more likely to discover what your type is.

I did it with MBTI & Enneagram and got it on the first time.

i like how the enneagram focuses on our flaws rather than our strengths; i think it is a better tool for self-growth.

I definitely agree with this.
It's a bit depressing tho, but I guess without being aware of our flaws we can't hope to improve ourselves.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Most Type 4 descriptions I've read (I'm Type 4) has been spot on. When MBTI is broken down into cognitive functions, it just lacks depth imo. It's still very useful and a great way of getting to know yourself though.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I prefer MBTI for ease of discussion and conversations and all that. Enneagram is very much so something that is much more personal and the insights tend to be things that can't be shared as easily. Not too mention enneagram really is only useful for those who want to delve into the theory and such. Otherwise, it's pretty much another thing that you can use and go, "oh, yeah, I'm type 4 wing __, cool right?"

Reactions: yourstruly

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have more difficulty figuring out my enneagram type. I score highest on 9 4 5, but have no idea if I could ever find out what my 9 wing is. Sometimes I score sp/sx other times so/sp. Problem with being a 9 is that it's easy for me to identify with all of the other types.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I like the Enneagram better too.

I feel like such a fake when I read the INFP descriptions.
Some I agree with, but I am selfish sometimes..
and I don't much care about the world.. or making it a better place really.
I just would rather mind my own business..

The descriptions in the enneagram tests make me feel like the jerk I really am..

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i like both of em, i'm not sure which i would prefer... maybe myers-briggs, but i dont have any articulated reason why.

i find the enneagram easier to remember... i suppose partly because there are less types, but perhaps because things seem to stick out more drastically in comparison to one another, compared to myers-briggs. if asked to analyse someone based on which of their four, erm... letters :unsure: they are, i can do that easily enough usually, but i cant for the life of me remember what the *proper* personality portrait of, say, an estj is in comparison to an istj or esfp etc etc. it just becomes a jumble of letters to me after a while.

i find that both systems describe certain aspects of me with surprising accuracy - i dont think either fully describes who i (or anyone) am (is), but can potentially give insight into how particular individuals, or various different types of people in general function, think, dream, fail... etc.

and though i shouldnt take any of it all that seriously, it always bugs me when i point someone to either myers-briggs or the enneagram, they find their type (unless they mistyped themselves), and their response is just "uh, ok... i guess. that's kinda cool" :frustrating:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have more difficulty figuring out my enneagram type. I score highest on 9 4 5, but have no idea if I could ever find out what my 9 wing is. Sometimes I score sp/sx other times so/sp. Problem with being a 9 is that it's easy for me to identify with all of the other types.
EDITZ: Whoopsadoodle, you know that already. Gahbags.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the Enneagram better too.

I feel like such a fake when I read the INFP descriptions.
Some I agree with, but I am selfish sometimes..
and I don't much care about the world.. or making it a better place really.
I just would rather mind my own business..

The descriptions in the enneagram tests make me feel like the jerk I really am..
i know exactly what you mean. I'm no saint or savior of anything. Maybe one day i can own up to the INFP description, but right now all i am is an individualist

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,336 Posts
MBTI. I tried the enneagram test last night and I was frustrated with the results. I got 7 points each in both 7 and 9 (and then 3-5 in a few other categories too), and when I read the description of each I decided half of it was totally me and the other half was totally not me. And then when I tried to figure out the "wing" part I disagreed with the assessment even further.
that's been my experience with it too. I read through most of this huge book about it and still..... didn't really connect and feel like I had a handle on it. I seem to relate to 4 9 5 and 2. The closest was maybe 4 wing 5. That's not to say that I don't relate to other MBTI types as well, but INFP feels like a much closer fit for me than any of the Enneagram ones. And I can more clearly see why I relate to the other types that I do: ENFP ISFP and INTP. I also disliked how negative the book I read was - I'm sure there must be better ones? I didn't personally find it all that helpfull and found I had to read it in small bouts or else the negativity started to make me feel ill. It almost felt like it was treating all the personality types as essentially disorders rather than normal differences. There seemed to be a big gap between the "healthy" and "average" descriptions, with the average sounding mostly negative - I thought to myself "and we haven't even gotten to the unhealthy yet?" While the "healthy" sounded like angels and mythic heros....what about someone who's just a decent chap? There was some interesting and usefull stuff there, and I did spot a few people I knew amongst the descriptions, but overall I didn't really enjoy or mesh with the whole theory.

Somehow looking at the different functions with Meyers-Briggs seems to really explain things well for me - both the good and the bad, but I appreciate that it takes a more nuetral approach to explaining things. The 4 letters seem relatively easy to remember so that even if I can't remember all the types in detail, I can still pretty well type people by considering how they seem to act in regards to those, and find it easy to pick out the similarities and differences between them. When first reading the description of the INFP I found myself laughing in happiness because of that wonderfull sense of identification. So many things were so true it just struck me as funny - you know how that is? I didn't really get that with the Enneagram - like you mentioned it always seemed half right and half totally wrong.

I will mention, as I have somewhere else, since some people brought it up, that I often feel that INFP profiles put too much emphasis on wanting to help people and change the world while forgetting the Introverted aspect which, at least for me, turns me away from jobs where I'm interacting with people and inclines me to prefer writing and thinking to investing in people and being active out there in the world. I like helping people close to me, but have little interest in the masses. And even though I do care, people/relationships, even the close ones, aren't my main motivation and interest. So....I wonder if perhaps we just read more into the bit about caring for others than is meant? I don't know, but yeah, I don't think that the majority of us are budding Mother Teresa's......good friends, utopian philosophers perhaps, but not saints. (And I don't think we have to be to still be healthy).

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I'm leaning toward Enneagram but I think MBTI and Enneagram taken together are great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts