2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Enneatype effects on MBTI preferences?

What Enneagram types and variants are likely to cause an increase in

Introversion?

Extroversion?

Judging?

Perceiving?

... when compared to MBTI scale self assessment?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have no reliable data set to use to form an objective reply, this is purely based on my own knowledge of the theories, perceptions, conclusions and experience and exactly as reliable as that could ever be.

What Enneagram types and variants are likely to cause an increase in

Introversion?
The most obviously introverted types, inwardly oriented at least, are perhaps 4s and 5s and sp-doms so those might add the introversion effect.

Extroversion?
Well, the opposite of the previous are 2s, 3s (no matter how they behave, they seem externally oriented), 6w7s (also seem externally oriented), 7s. I almost add 8s and 9s but won't, they aren't as obvious IMO. I think sx-doms and so-doms are more likely to have moments of extroversion than sp-doms but even the extroversion of sx vs. so is different, there are perhaps more people among so-doms who can keep up with the extroversion in a more steady manner.

Well, 1s, 3s, 8s, I assume.

Perceiving?
4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 9s strike me as perceivers.

You didn't mention intuition and sensing and thinking and feeling, did you have a reason for that? I see N/S as something less related to this, perhaps I'd associate 4s and head types with intuition more often than sensing though. I don't see any type having clearly more S-oriented approach than N. However, I can see obvious differences between F and T. 2s are clearly Feelers. It's perhaps not a must but a common characteristic. Also 4s I relate to feelers much more likely than to thinkers. The competent group, 1s, 3s and 5s, strikes me as thinkers but I wouldn't say it's any rule. Also 8s seem to prefer more T than F in general.

Personally I don't see any connection between N/S or T/F and instincts but it doesn't mean there couldn't be one (or many).

There are probably some likelihoods between certain Enneagram types and MBTI preferences but I wouldn't type anyone based on that.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think that any of the types are likely to create a neutral response on any of the axis? For example, I'd once heard 6's are likely to score borderline with respect to introversion and extroversion.

You didn't mention intuition and sensing and thinking and feeling, did you have a reason for that?
It is my opinion that Enneagram is rather impartial to N/S. The T/F axis might see some tilting toward the "head" types or the "image" types, but I don't see that as reliable.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think any MBTI type can be any enneagram type. There are some definite correlations but they aren't always true. For example, 7 correlates with E and P. I'm E, but I'm also J. I've seen some 7s who were introverts, too. I think I seem more 'P' than most judgers, but at the same time more 'J' than most 7s.

There are some types I have trouble imagining (ENTJ 9, ESTJ 4, ESFP 5, etc) but they could still be out there.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think any MBTI type can be any enneagram type. There are some definite correlations but they aren't always true. For example, 7 correlates with E and P. I'm E, but I'm also J. I've seen some 7s who were introverts, too. I think I seem more 'P' than most judgers, but at the same time more 'J' than most 7s.
I was addressing the possibility that Enneagram type could influence preferences within the MBTI type, not that certain types can or cannot pair with other types. To continue your example, an INTJ 7 would probably seem more extroverted than an INTJ 5... perhaps even to a degree that the INTJ might assume they were an ENTJ.

There are some types I have trouble imagining (ENTJ 9, ESTJ 4, ESFP 5, etc) but they could still be out there.
Part of the reason I am asking is because those types might exist, but result in mistypes. For example, an ESTJ 4 is likely to mistype as an INTJ. An ESFP 5 will likely mistype as an ESTP or even ISTP. An ENTJ 9 is likely to mistype as an INTJ or an ENFJ.

While some combinations are more common than others, the fact that they are implies that sometimes those are actually mistypes, and the combination of Enneagram and MBTI seem like they could account for a great deal of the variables in mistypes. For example, many 2's identify as ESFJ or ENFJ. Perhaps some of them are mistyped INFJs or ISFJs, but Enneagram 2 creates an effect that is similar enough to Fe dominance to pass for it?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Type 1: J (Though there are plenty of P ones)
Type 2: EXFX
Type 3: SP dom: XXTJ, So dom: ExxJ, Sx dom: any type
Type 4: IXFX
Type 5: IXTX
Type 6: Any type, though I find it most common among SJs, especially ISXJs...ESXJs are generally 6 fixers but more likely to be of another core (2,3,8,1,etc)
Type 7: EXXP
Type 8: EXTX, but it aligns most nicely with the ENTJ functional stack, which is why it's most common among ENTJs
Type 9: IXFX

·
Ace of Spades
10w11 sp/so
3,083 Posts
I think for me it's the other way around. My MBTI type influences my enneagram scores. I usually test INTJ no matter what, but my enneagram scores tend to be 5 or sometimes 8. I've read a lot on Enneagram though, and Sp 7 is my best-fit. I don't think it's impossible to have INTJ 7's, though I can see ways in which I am not INTJ-like at all. Namely strong enthusiasm and aggression.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think for me it's the other way around. My MBTI type influences my enneagram scores. I usually test INTJ no matter what, but my enneagram scores tend to be 5 or sometimes 8. I've read a lot on Enneagram though, and Sp 7 is my best-fit. I don't think it's impossible to have INTJ 7's, though I can see ways in which I am not INTJ-like at all. Namely strong enthusiasm and aggression.
Do you feel that 7 makes you more of an E and P leaning INTJ?

Are you more likely to tell stories and entertain people than a typical INTJ?

Is your 7 sense of fun tied more to the imagination and other "introverted" pleasures than a typical 7?

·
Ace of Spades
10w11 sp/so
3,083 Posts
Do you feel that 7 makes you more of an E and P leaning INTJ?
Possibly, though I find that this has more to do with where I am in life. In my teenage years, there was no way in hell I could see myself as an Extrovert. I isolated myself for many years and I preferred it that way. Currently though, I/E and J/P are closer to the middle than T/F or N/S. This is all if we're going by the 4 letters and not the functions.

Are you more likely to tell stories and entertain people than a typical INTJ?
Possibly. I have to be really comfortable with who I'm around, and then I can generally talk a lot. I wouldn't call it entertainment though.

Is your 7 sense of fun tied more to the imagination and other "introverted" pleasures than a typical 7?
I don't agree with any part of this statement. I/E has nothing to do with imagination. It has more to do with N/S, but anyone can be imaginative, it's more a matter of how much priority they place on their intuition. I also think typical sevens are all about imagination. Their constant planning about the future and imagining greener pastures is what makes them sevens. They often enjoy that more than the present moment of an experience oftentimes.

So I can't really answer this question.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I find that being a type 5 ISTJ has greatly increased usage of Ni for me. Having a 4 wing might have influenced my usage of Fi for me, unsure though. Perhaps type 5 has an ability to increase usage of Ti? Occasionally when I take quizzes I can type myself as an ISTP and INTJ.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Type 1: xxxJ
Type 2: xxFJ
Type 3: ExTx
Type 4: INFx
Type 5: IxTx
Type 6: xSxJ (hate to say it)
Type 7: ExxP
Type 8: ExTJ
Type 9: IxxP

I think any MBTI type can be any enneagram type though. I'm not a perciever and I'm a 9, and my best friend is an INFJ but is a 6, so...Obviously proving myself wrong really adds to this post.

I don't really think being a 9 influences my MBTI preferences, but I think it makes me act a lot differently than other ISTJs. I don't think many of my friends would type me as an ISTJ from observation, although thinking about it I don't know what else they would type me as. But I think your enneagram does affect your MBTI to some extent, because obviously an INFP 4 will behave differently than an INFP 9.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts