Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some general things people of certain types might be inclined to overlook, overestimate, underestimate, or not see about themselves? (Indeed there are things in type descriptions we all have to learn to 'own', but some of these things continue to be habitual blind spots regardless of self knowledge or understanding of the enneagram).

For example,
One thing I might say about the four, is that they may underestimate how pervasive envy is in their life. They may not see the ways in which they reject things in order to obtain what's 'greener on the other side', instead of being content with what they have. They may quit job after job, or move from relationship to relationship, not realising that this is all a form of rejection.

A nine might underestimate how quickly they may become overwhelmed with the needs of others, and can become quite neglectful sometimes.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
But the type descriptions DO talk about envy in 4s and neglect in 9s..

Reactions: susurration

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the type descriptions DO talk about envy in 4s and neglect in 9s..
Ah, I know I didn't quite elucidate what I meant correctly in the OP. Maybe it's just me, but I still find it difficult to own a lot of the traits about myself, and even after doing a lot of reading. It has taken a long time to see these things, and sometimes it takes looking at a subjective personal experience of a type, from another types perspectives, in order to see and own my shadow.
Expounding on key motivations and associated tendencies on a type, from a range of different perspectives, may help people with the process of owning their shadow, rather than projecting. Because it appears to me that even people at least a little read in enneagram (as I say, myself included) are still are prevented in one shape or form, from seeing things about their own tendencies. There may be certain things that stick out, above and beyond other things, that are the blind spots. What I meant by 'away from type' was that seemingly everything is a blind spot until you look over the enneagram and find your type. But again, still there are certain things you may continue to be blind unto, even with that knowledge.

On second thoughts, perhaps the problem with the OP is with the examples given :laughing: and I also worded the part about not being exactly referring to type wrong. It might be a little more insightful if I would've added detail, but I cbf. I should really think things through before I post them haha. This thread doesn't really make sense...

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
You mean people do not notice that they are envious ( or whatever), until they read it on their enneatype description page?

That does make sense.

It explains the sense of deep agony and nakedness associated sometimes with finding your *real* type. I don't know if you were present while we were having debates about enneatype being hard to identify as people run away from their real types as it exposes them more than MBTI does.

I remember how I did, and still do, feel when I read a well written profile for type 6.

Reactions: susurration

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean people do not notice that they are envious ( or whatever), until they read it on their enneatype description page?

That does make sense.

It explains the sense of deep agony and nakedness associated sometimes with finding your *real* type. I don't know if you were present while we were having debates about enneatype being hard to identify as people run away from their real types as it exposes them more than MBTI does.

I remember how I did, and still do, feel when I read a well written profile for type 6.
It's interesting how other people experience that too. Every time I read a four description, I kind of flinch... as if I can't bear to look at it. Perhaps that's one way of identifying your type? it feels a little uncomfortable. I would feel quite perturbed going to a enneagram workshop for example, and saying i'm a four. As you remarked, you might feel a little exposed.

Though I suppose there's only shame (or related feelings of discomfort pertaining to type) in what you reject. All those types of feelings can be curtailed through acceptance and owning tendencies. And that's a pretty darn long route.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
It's interesting how other people experience that too. Every time I read a four description, I kind of flinch... as if I can't bear to look at it. Perhaps that's one way of identifying your type? it feels a little uncomfortable. I would feel quite perturbed going to a enneagram workshop for example, and saying i'm a four. As you remarked, you might feel a little exposed.

Though I suppose there's only shame (or related feelings of discomfort pertaining to type) in what you reject. All those types of feelings can be curtailed through acceptance and owning tendencies. And that's a pretty darn long route.
Really long. I still tell rl strangers that I am a type 7 *shy*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts