Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so, about a month ago I was fairly sure I was a type 4w3, but after posting a pretty lengthy description of myself and all that, I got about 15 replies and even though I was pretty sure I was a core 4, no one else really agreed. A few people thought type 6 (but I really don't see that), the rest thought 7 or 3. I'm starting to think that I might in fact be a 7, but I also see some strong 3 and 4 elements.

Why I think I could be a 7; I like to have fun. The reason I didn't think I was a 7 before was because I was under the impression that 7s were constant thrill seekers, always out and about and searching for the next thrill. I guess I'm a bit simpler than that, and I'm also socially anxious. But now that I think about it, my main goal of my day to day life does seem to be having fun. I aim to be happy, to be in an enjoyable state of mind pretty much always, though that isn't always possible.

I don't like to just sit and think. I wouldn't be able to entertain myself without any kind of external stimulants. Even when I'm walking home from school, I need to be listening to music; music that doesn't necessarily have to mean anything, it just needs to sound good and make me feel good, boost my mood if you will. I never understood how people could just sit still, alone and daydream/introspect for a long time. Introspection is something that comes naturally to me, but it seems to be in combination with everything else. It's always at the back of my mind, but it could never be the only thing I do - that would be boring! I find interacting with people and things much more fun and rewarding, by a long shot.

I am a daydreamer, which is natural being an NFP. However, I don't have any sort of fantasy world that I disappear to, and I don't become very immersed in my daydreams, like type 4s are said to be. Rather, I have brief and quick daydreams that I find exciting to think about. Though, I am very much in my head - every new situation has my overactive imagination thinking up several possibilities at once.

I have trouble following through with things, when I get bored. I'll start a new hobby, but then I'll be like meh and just do something else. My favourite thing to do is sit in bed, blast music into my ears and chat with my friends, as well as just hanging out with friends in general. My most prized moments in life are the ones shared with other people, when we're laughing and joyful. That's what I strive to achieve. If I don't see immediate results or get immediate gratification from something, I'll drop it. I'm not very patient, very ADD like (but I'm sure that I don't actually have ADD). I like to indulge in pleasures, such as eating, etc..very bad with self control. Sometimes I'll rush into things without much prior thought (only things that won't have strong negative consequences) and end up making a mess out of them. I tend to not think about consequences, but only where it won't hurt me. I'm impulsive, but not to a fault, if that makes sense?

My biggest pleasure in life is laughing! I guess that says a lot?

Why I think I'm a 3; I want to be liked, loved, and popular. My daydreams have always consisted of real people, admiring me, being impressed with me. I do things such as writing and drawing because I enjoy them, but also because I like to impress people with my talent. When I do things, even just everyday things, I like to imagine other people being impressed by them, and how they might react. I tend to cultivate myself around my own identity, but in a way that other people will like me - I have a strong, solid sense of identity, but I also don't have a big problem with bending certain aspects of it to gain approval.

Why I think I'm a 4; I went through a period from when I was about 10-14 that I was obsessed with individuality. But I was definitely a 4w3. My biggest desire seemed to be to be different - but for the purpose of impressing others. I wanted people to admire me, think I was cool for being different, for breaking convention. I liked to be rare, different, but not in a way that would quite alienate me from society..for example I had a tomboy phase, and I was utterly opposed to anything girly. Being girly was just too "normal", and I wanted all the boys at school to think I was cooler than the "girly girls".

I am very very very very very self-aware when it comes to myself and my emotions, always have been. It's shocked a lot of adults (which I enjoyed!). I'm very moody, can be quite self-absorbed, romantic and highly idealistic. I like to dream about a perfect like, etc. I'm a very talented writer (not to toot my own horn lol), but it's not something I like to just sit and do in any way to express my emotions..I mean, I like to express my emotions, but I don't see a point in that if it isn't to share them with others in the process. People are the center of my life, by the way - I love interacting with them and many things seem pointless without others. I guess that's probably more of a MBTI thing than enneagram though

Lately though, now that I'm about 15 and almost 16, I seem less concerned with individuality, but I am still interested in being unique and very much obsessed with my identity. I involve my identity in everything, and I need everyone to recognize me, who I am etc. I can't stand it when people think I'm something I'm not. But I feel more of a need to fit in now, but still stand out..in a way that fits in? It's kind of paradoxal but it makes sense to me >.<

And finally reasons I think I'm not a (core) 6;

I'm not skeptical. At all. I'm learning to be but I'm mostly optimistic and open, I trust until I'm given a reason not to. And while I can be and am often loyal, I'm very flighty at times..I let my desire for enjoyment and gratifcation control me and sometimes I do the wrong thing, making me slightly unreliable. :( I'm working on it though. I care about my security, but I think a balance of security, stability, fun, enjoyment and etc are what makes for a good life. A balance of all the ennegrams!

So...what am I? D: I tried to keep the last few short because I didn't want to bore you guys.

After writing this, I'm thinking...7w6? Tell me your thoughts! I also just read that ENFPs tend to type as 4w3 when they're actually 7w6, so that might be something

·
Registered
180 Posts
Okay, so all these types are really different. If you learn more about it you will see that you can't really mistake yourself for a four if you're a seven, and vice versa. Fours are the deep-sea divers of the psyche. They go down low and they go up high and if you're going to think of an archetype, they're the "tortured romantic" or "tortured artist" archetype. Sevens go up high and can be hedonists but they will do anything to avoid difficult emotions. If you want an archetype, think of them as life-of-the-party, or as a manic person. Both types have emotional extremes and when fours are in a "high" mood, especially if they're more extrovered, they can get along really well with sevens. I've seen sevens who are so averse to dealing with their negative emotions that it manifests as bipolar disorder and mania.

It sounds like you are extroverted and you like fun and activity; that can be any type, but it most exemplifies seven.

"My most prized moments in life are the ones shared with other people, when we're laughing and joyful. That's what I strive to achieve. If I don't see immediate results or get immediate gratification from something, I'll drop it." <---That couldn't be more opposite than a four. This is the exact opposite of the four. I mean, it doesn't get any more opposite. Fours go down deep and they are often attracted to darkness. Of all the types, they are the most likely to not avoid darkness and to even seek it out because they see value, healing, or art in it. You aren't a four.

Lots of teenagers go through the period you described. All teenagers kinda act like unhealthy fours at some point; trying to figure out who you are and being moody and self-absorbed is a developmental stage. Your positivity, wanting to impress others, the way you talk about gratification and fun and needing external gratifications and not getting lost in your head (another thing fours do) etc. screams that you are probably a three or seven. Probably a seven. Your profile image screams three or seven and is like, the opposite of four. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts