Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entering the "Feeling Zone" ... Complete control over emotional state of mind.

They talk about being "in the zone" a lot when it comes to athletes - which to me is basically the ability to focus all energy towards maximizing the human potential in terms of achieving physical greatness.

I wanna know if this is an experience "feelers" can relate to when it comes to experiencing certain feelings at a given point.

Like --- if I want, I can put myself in a "feeling zone" at will. If I want to feel something, I just think about it and start really feeling it.

I usually do this when I'm feeling extremely creative; mostly with music and poetry. If I want to write something dark and melancholic, then I can literally replicate feelings of darkness, depression, sadness --- and then come out of those feelings just as easily and put myself in them.

Can anyone relate :/ I posted this in the ENFJ forum and got no response, so I'm trying to get some from my INFJ friends. When I talk about this with people IRL, I usually get some pretty odd looks before I decide to shut up.

Can this be related to cognitive functions or MBTI in any way?

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
I do that when I'm in love. It strengthens my love, making me overwhelmed (in a very very very very very good way) with all the love I feel for the subject of interest. I sometimes use it to get my way, like I have a power over how the other person feels about me.
One can get into another's stomach with all that energy.

yay for focus powah!

·
Registered
245 Posts
They talk about being "in the zone" a lot when it comes to athletes - which to me is basically the ability to focus all energy towards maximizing the human potential in terms of achieving physical greatness.

I wanna know if this is an experience "feelers" can relate to when it comes to experiencing certain feelings at a given point.

Like --- if I want, I can put myself in a "feeling zone" at will. If I want to feel something, I just think about it and start really feeling it.

I usually do this when I'm feeling extremely creative; mostly with music and poetry. If I want to write something dark and melancholic, then I can literally replicate feelings of darkness, depression, sadness --- and then come out of those feelings just as easily and put myself in them.

Can anyone relate :/ I posted this in the ENFJ forum and got no response, so I'm trying to get some from my INFJ friends. When I talk about this with people IRL, I usually get some pretty odd looks before I decide to shut up.

Not sure if it relates to MTBI or cognitive functions but I understand where you're coming from. Specifically in the creative sense.

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I'm able to do this. Most people probably don't relate because they don't see a purpose in doing it so they don't try. If you are doing it for creative purposes then that makes sense.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,418 Posts
Yes. This is what I do everytime I write an emotional scene, and on a lesser scale when I roleplay my characters. When I'm daydreaming I'll do this too.

MBTI? I'd guess it'd be a combination of N and F, though it might just be Ni. My mom will do this, where she'll pretend she's teaching an audience something (she's INTJ, with Fi as her feeling function). Her in the zones are not as strong as mine (her emotions aren't as pronounced), but she does "experience" whatever she's thinking about.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, although I dont have complete control over it. My control is much better then it used to be. I can cause myself to get moist eyes but can't do tears yet. Interestingly enough I have worked more on stopping feelings then starting them. Like if I have had a bad day or even a bad hour, turning on a dime and pushing it aside, finding a happy thought and changing my emotional state. This is essential in my job---just because something didnt work during my first class, I cannot make it affect the rest of my kids by killing my emotional state all day.
I'm pretty tactile and usually walk with a ball in my hand or twirl rubber bands or rulers while I'm going through things in my head.

Are there any techniques you used to gain better control over starting an emotional state or is it one of those "gut" things its hard to explain?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I can relate and music puts me in the zone with whatever feeling I want to feel at that moment, which is a good thing when I want to write poetry and write fiction novels.

I'm not really sure if it connects to mbti or the cognitive functions, sorry. But I think everyone could get into the zone if they find something that really connects to them. (Not sure if I'm making sense . . .)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I relate, it was how I got through my last year of highschool. The ability to just shut out everything and focus entirely on what you need to do, whether it be learning a new maths concept, absorbing the brilliance of a well done piece of art, or savouring a feeling. I often do it when I experience a good feeling or something that's aesthetically beautiful (like a nice patch of nature), I focus on it so completely and get the most out of it, and it helps keep it stored away so I can recall and relive that moment at a later time. It's almost like you disappear and just lose yourself in it.

At least I think that's what you meant?

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I don't actually feel anything but I understand emotions etc very well so I can be really involved with people and still be distanced from them so I can get in behind thier walls and help on a personal level while still being able to stand back and give a no BS assessment based on observations.

Being able to manipulate the classic signs of certain emotions allows me to easily relate to people and to help them feel comforatable, as well as to have a chemeleon effect in any given situation ^_^

Not sure if this constitutes an "In the zone" though.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

When I write, I like to use music as a trigger for these things.

Unless I draw emotional energy from a song like that, i find my writings tend to reflect my deeper emotions from earlier days.

As far as self-manipulation goes, I'll throw a few out there.
-In races, I manipulate myself to feel fear. This stimulates my flight response and improves my speed noticeably.
-In most cases of fear I consciously change my sense of fear into a sense of excitement.
-When I am feeling depressed or sad, I like to turn it into anger and dispel it in the gym or with a punching bag.

In the vast majority of self-manipulations, I do my best to bypass my emotions altogether and enter a detached and free state of mind. I prefer to be emotion-less most of all.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Creatively I can imagine and feel different feelings and moods and apply them to my work. However, I also often feel out of control of my feelings and moods because I'm bipolar.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I engage this mode when I start becoming superfocused on videogaming. For example, I survived 6 waves of Geth solo on Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode, which to date is my best record yet. Oh god, it was such a cathartic experience, all the gunfire and the laughing, oh the laughing... ... *ahem*

On a less psychopathic note, I also engage this mode when I go hiking. I set out a path in front of me and then focus entirely on what my body is doing. I call it 'platforming' since it reminds me so much of Super Mario. :p

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Control...
I believe what you are doing is a hallmark of mastering one's reality. Feeling and thought at their epicenter can create waves of creative viberance. Feelings are often an uncontrollable state especially in those predisposed with thinking. If one can allow themselves the ability to see the power one can manifest a magnitude of different emotional based energies to aid them. Those who effectively channel these emotions I would guess are less destine to be effect by emotional "leak" or being a slave to their emotional state.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sometimes, but the zone is in the N when ideas flow unconsciously and what seems like out of nowhere, not the F... Personally I am an Fe user first, Fi user on down the line... I actually relate better to Ti. I have read the INFP forums and others, and generally don't relate with that overwhelming emotions. I find it alien actually. I do feel strong compassion for others but I never get super elated in song/film or raging tears like I see some Fi users confess.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm not sure I can relate, but for creative pursuits, I can see how it would be useful - even necessary - to get into the "Feeling Zone". I would imagine this is something actors learn to do as well.

My work usually requires me to be analytical and to think critically...so I get into that kind of zone more often. It's when I'm in the "Analyzing Shit Zone" that I get my "AHA!" moments while working on research projects or problem solving.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think it all has to do with creativity and visualization. If you can visualize it, you can probably feel it. Although to my dismay, I find it much easier to conjure emotions of sadness and depression rather than happiness. :/

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
what you are doing is what the most believable actors/actresses have to do on a daily basis ~ make themselves feel what their character would be feeling, in order to be authentic in their acting. Ni and Fe provide the mental foundation for believable acting. i know if i am acting, i can put myself so much in the shoes of the character that i can actually (by that means) make myself feel the feelings they would have in the circumstances. if i unleash Ni to imagine, and Fe to identify with, i can make myself feel certain feelings. so i know what you mean. there's nothing strange about it. Ni + Fe has this capability.

Ni keeps one foot in a subjunctive universe, imagining what could be. Ni looks beyond 'face value' to the underlying meaning...so if Ni is observing a person's behavior or body language, the quest will be to understand why the person could be behaving or looking that way...what that behavior or body language means.

Fe is alert to emotional signals - transmitted through body language and behavior - and can empathetically feel those feelings along with someone else.

acting requires understanding of the external symbols (body language and behavior) that indicate internal feelings and thoughts...and the ability to identify with the character in order to represent him/her accurately. Ni can dream up what someone might do or feel under certain circumstances, and why people act in the ways they do. Fe can figure out how that reality would translate itself into visible emotional signals (body language and behavior) and easily identifies with the feelings that would be felt in the situation. so Ni and Fe make for natural acting...if a person desires to act.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts