Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ENTJs, what do you guys think of an ENTP as a potential romantic interest? I have a good friend who is an ENTJ and sometimes he practically treats me like his gf. When we first met, there was instant attraction but as we gotten to know each other we have had some blatant differences. He often gets annoyed with my scatteredness and sloppiness. I find myself getting irritated by his perfectionist nature and the desire to control. Do you think there is a possibility of an ENTP/ENTJ lasting? We sometimes get into a silent fight because of our key differences in how we approach the world.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had an amazing friendship with an ENTP that became a relationship. It was a very fun pairing and we never fought, or misunderstood each other. Downsides for me were his lack of motivation and follow-through. We tried to stay friends but the constant debating and contrary playfulness got a bit old.

I think it could be very good for the right people.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Usual relationship disclaimer: depends on the individuals.

That said, I think this pairing isn't ideal and it's challenging. I have a lot of ENTP friends and coworkers and we have a great working relationship but they can be so messy and disorganized (both mentally and in physical spaces) that a long-term romantic relationship wouldn't be feasible for me. I hated feeling like the parent, and the ENTP hated being 'nagged' (which wasn't done on purpose).

The biggest problem was the J vs P conflict which requires a lot of time and effort to reconcile.

·
Registered
294 Posts
kinda hooking up with an entj over here. she's chill about the fact that i can't like her back and her se makes up for her small fi tantrums. it's cool

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I have one ENTP male friend. I wrote him off as a complete douche at first and just said to my INTJ mutual friend that I would adjust my opinion of him accordingly over time.

And sure enough, the ENTP seems to have soft spots and feelings. He's not as annoying as he used to be. No way would I ever be attracted to him, although he's interesting to hang around. Always the clown, always wants to say the "next outrageous thing" :rolleyes:. He has a good heart though, so I guess that kind of makes up for it.

I couldn't imagine ever being a partner of his. No way I could put up with that.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Any relationship can work if you communicate. For the two of you, I'd suggest strongly against trying to change the other person- ENTPs and ENTJs, in my experience, can both be very stubborn, and often dislike being the more submissive one in a relationship. What do you mean by "silent fights"? The best I can say is to try and minimize the effects of the others' less positive traits on yourself. If he knows you're scattered, he shouldn't expect you to pick up the groceries everyday. If you know he's a perfectionist, don't put problems in front of him that he'll want to solve. If you think he's controlling, I'd tell him that and then try to work out a plan to deal with it.

That was my answer to what I think you meant to ask, which was, "Will my relationship work?"

Personally, ENTPs are not for me. I have a rather (in)famous obsession with INTPs though. ENTPs have too much energy for me- I need quite a bit of alone time for an extravert, and ENTPs tend to want to suck my energy at random times. And god, sometimes they just won't shut up. My closest ENTP friend tends to contact me randomly every few days demanding attention, bounce around in conversation for a bit, then leave. I love him, but I need a bit more reliability than that. He would wear me out.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
From my perspective, this pairing works better as a friendship or a work relationship. Have had ENTP male friends. Get along well for short bursts of time, but can't imagine being in a relationship with them. Love their humor and their Ne, but a little of that goes a long way. I think 24/7 it would start to get on my nerves. Both Te and Ne tend to take up a lot of space in the room. A couple of bold extroverts can be a bit much in any setting.

I've always had good working relationships with ENTPs, though. Currently sit on the board and co-chair a mentoring program we founded. Absolutely adore him. For a few hours at a time. Every couple of weeks. :wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
They have way too much energy to offer for me to ever take that all in for myself. There is no way I can return that amount of energy either. INTP are cool because they're more logical and require less maintenance

·
Registered
222 Posts
The ENTP energy thing is a ruse...We like to sit quietly....we really do :tongue:

As friendships go ENTJ's rock! I have 5 close ENTJ friends and we all get on like a house on fire.

But we do argue...A lot..not emotionally...just a lot of strong opinions

I'm not sure how that would work in a relationship...I think you would need to be very honest about what irritates you, and both would have to compromise a little on those elements. Not easy for ENTP's or ENTJ's, but doable imo.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Socially, I get along with them well. They love to debate, they do all kinds of ingenious (and often hilarious) things, and in terms of sheer energetic output, they can reliably match me... at least when I am in a socializing mood. I seem to need a fair bit more alone/recharge time than they do, though.

Romantically? I've never tried it, and for purely personal reasons, such a pairing would be awkward. My brother is an ENTP, and damned near every ENTP I've ever met reminds me of him in some way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts