Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I am writing a MSc. level research paper. I am now working on it for a couple of months and I absolutely hate the writing, rereading, rewriting part. I am more fond of writing something in order to tell someone later.

Do not get me wrong. I love the research, I do not like the reading and writing part.

Note to self: need to find another line of work.

So question, what are your experiences with writing?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I do not write multiple drafts of anything (except for this novel that I've been working on). You see I like things to be perfect from the get go and edit as I write when it comes to professional scripture. The way I've found this to work is to make notes - mental and physical and make sure I've got my references sorted and when I write sit down and write in one go. Ideally 1 week before I have to submit it. Back in uni, this method worked well, as for all my written work I managed to get above 80%.
I dislike having to retread my path so I write it and I get a bunch of people to read it and that I suppose fits in with writing something to inform someone.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
i vomit on a page, go back and edit it. I can't get the thoughts out if I work for perfection.
I have my references organized by subject matter and via Endnote. I have a word file for my notes of papers. I then seek help when I'm feeling so drained that I'm stupid. Writing is not my preferred activity.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i vomit on a page, go back and edit it. I can't get the thoughts out if I work for perfection.
I have my references organized by subject matter and via Endnote. I have a word file for my notes of papers. I then seek help when I'm feeling so drained that I'm stupid. Writing is not my preferred activity.
I actually never used endnote or similar program. I just remember "Oh something was said about that there, fuck I need to reread that". Prob a good addition to use some kind of program or notebook.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I actually never used endnote or similar program. I just remember "Oh something was said about that there, fuck I need to reread that". Prob a good addition to use some kind of program or notebook.
Yes. get it. NOW! You can attach your PDFs to it and if you will be writing for some time, it's a great way to sort your references. you can type notes into it and it's a searchable format.

It will also format your references any way you need to.

Why are you reading this? Go, get it.

:)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I only ever write a single draft, but depending on how perfectionist I'm feeling at the time it can mean anything from one single stream of consciousness to writing a few pages, deciding to change something on page, continuing, deleting half of it, write a sentence, delete a sentence, OMG WORDS GO IN THE RIGHT ORDER PLEASE, despair, caffeine, write 8 pages, finish.

edit: oh yea, advice: map it all out beforehand - not what you are literally going to write, but everything involved. notes, references, ideas (good and bad), and then just write. edit as you go if you can't proofread afterwards.

Reactions: koalaroo and Devil

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I've never had to do extensive papers, but I don't tend to draft my writing at most I'll do a page or two just to have a list of things I need to remember to bring in. For some reason I can see an essay question for an exam, think "holy shit, I don't know any of this" put my pen to the paper and somehow get an A.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Make an outline
Research
Remake outline
Write shit
Revise shit
maybe Re-read some reference stuff again
Revise shit again
done

Of course this is all undergraduate essays and research papers, although I'm also very good at reading and writing, along with retention and summation. I do write for my own entertainment as well though...

·
Registered
639 Posts
The gist of what most of us are saying is make notes, do all the preparation and stuff so you don't have to do multiple writes.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Step 1. Write paper.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm only in high school, but I tend to keep the writing process simple, yet make the writing complex. If it is a research paper where I am only being marked for content and not writing ability I basically just put down a facts & thoughts. For essays I typically make an essay outline (the most stressful part), write it (pretty easy with the outline), quickly re-read for grammatical or spelling errors, then use any time left to substitute words for better words.

Reactions: Mr.Adrian

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only in high school, but I tend to keep the writing process simple, yet make the writing complex. If it is a research paper where I am only being marked for content and not writing ability I basically just put down a facts & thoughts. For essays I typically make an essay outline (the most stressful part), write it (pretty easy with the outline), quickly re-read for grammatical or spelling errors, then use any time left to substitute words for better words.
That is unfortunate not possible anymore on MSc. level. You are on the right path to writing nice papers. What are your plans for the future? If I may ask.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I rather delegate the writing to someone and be in the position to review and approve.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is unfortunate not possible anymore on MSc. level. You are on the right path to writing nice papers. What are your plans for the future? If I may ask.
I plan on going to university, but I'm not too sure as to what I want to do.

Reactions: Mr.Adrian

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ugh. I hated writing up my research work. And as for reading lots of text just to bulk up my bibliography, let's not go there.

As soon as my postgraduate/postdoctoral work had served its purpose, that was the end my academic career.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugh. I hated writing up my research work. And as for reading lots of text just to bulk up my bibliography, let's not go there.

As soon as my postgraduate/postdoctoral work had served its purpose, that was the end my academic career.
That is nice. Which field of work did you then go?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Everything. This.

Reactions: Tea Path

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
I procrastinate on paper writing due to perfectionism, but I'll have an outline and notes done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts