Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the test and I am very right brain dominate. Explaining why I don't do well with words and why school was always hard for me... And why I am intuitive and love fantasy.
:D
I need to work on my left side.
:9 boring.
Learning Styles

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am balanced brain. I took the opportunity over the years of my life to work on my skillsets. I somehow ended up with using both sides of the brain equally.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Im making an assumption that Im slightly more right brained than left brained.
I have played music since I was 15 years old of various instruments, and also been naturally talented at art at a very young age.

However now Ive switched to a science major and am doing well, which leads me to believe I am using more left brained attributes currently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im making an assumption that Im slightly more right brained than left brained.
I have played music since I was 15 years old of various instruments, and also been naturally talented at art at a very young age.

However now Ive switched to a science major and am doing well, which leads me to believe I am using more left brained attributes currently.
Well only one way to find out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
"You responded as a right brained person to 6 questions, and you responded as a left brained person to 13 questions. According to the Hemispheric Dominance test, you use the left side or your brain the most."

Interesting!

·
Registered
160 Posts
That website describes the attributes as if the left brain is superior in every single description. Obviously written by a left brain dominant person. When you compare the MBTI cognitive functions with this system, they don't seem to match the way I would expect. It seems as though right hemisphere dominance would match with sensors. Except for the holistic view point. And that left hemisphere would match with intuitives.

How is it that so many intuitives do so well in left hemisphere things like math and other sciences? How is it that so many sensors do so well in artistic right hemisphere activities? Maybe that is just too strict of an interpretation.

The only thing I can see that may help right hemisphere dominant people with the sciences is visualization and creativity, and also a holistic view point.

Oh yeah, I scored high on right hemisphere 14 to 5.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That website describes the attributes as if the left brain is superior in every single description. Obviously written by a left brain dominant person. When you compare the MBTI cognitive functions with this system, they don't seem to match the way I would expect. It seems as though right hemisphere dominance would match with sensors. Except for the holistic view point. And that left hemisphere would match with intuitives.

How is it that so many intuitives do so well in left hemisphere things like math and other sciences? How is it that so many sensors do so well in artistic right hemisphere activities? Maybe that is just too strict of an interpretation.

The only thing I can see that may help right hemisphere dominant people with the sciences is visualization and creativity, and also a holistic view point.

Oh yeah, I scored high on right hemisphere 14 to 5.
Not to derail the thread, but your avatar location is where I live, and I was there just last night.
Thought that was amusing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well from what I have read most women are left brain dominant and most men are right brain dominant. Women tend to have highly verbal and conversational skills while men tend to be less developed in that area (caveman theories). Though men do often feel they use logic a bit more than women making them believe they are left brained. People tend to believe that women are more creative, artsy, musical, use symbols/imagery more and the fact that they like decorating causing them to think they are right brain dominant. But it's actually quite the opposite so I guess what I have read holds true.

Do you know who created the first computer programming language? It was a woman and her name was Grace Hopper. The only way I see it ever being developed is through a highly left brained dominant person who posess mathematics, scientific, words, language, and logic skills. But if this is true then don't you think it's kind of strange that the math and science fields are primarily made up of men? But I guess subjects of interests play a role in this strangeness.

But many are either highly left brain or highly right brain dominant. There are very few people who are actually balanced brain. I've never actually met another dual brain person though but I'll tell you what it feels like being a dual brainer. My brain is constantly playing tug-of-war fighting each other to develop an answer or solution. A famous dual brainer is Leonardo Da Vinci, he excelled at multiple subjects because he was able to use his whole brain instead of only half of one side.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hm, I think of cognitive styles here, but I must not use that part of my understanding. I think that a lot of NTs are going to be balanced since N is more left side and T is more right side (or the other was around)

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Somehow I find this difficult to believe. Feel free to take it anytime. Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
Well you could be right. But I just don't want to take another damn test. I feel like I use both them same amount. But not at the same time if that makes sense. I might be more Left. That's logic right?

IDk, which do you think? I'm curious now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well you could be right. But I just don't want to take another damn test. I feel like I use both them same amount. But not at the same time if that makes sense. I might be more Left. That's logic right?

IDk, which do you think? I'm curious now.
But how are you going to rule the world if you don't take another test? My guess is going to be left.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is the practical application of finding out if you're right or left brain dominant?

I hope I'm not being redundant being among other NTs, but I'll include my disclaimer. I'm not hating on this thread, I am honestly asking. :happy:

·
Registered
160 Posts
What is the practicaly application of finding out if you're right or left brain dominant?

I hope I'm not being redundant being among other NTs, but I'll include my disclaimer. I'm not hating on this thread, I am honestly asking. :happy:
Most likely practical application would probably be to learn how to work on the weaker hemisphere. Especially for students who, according to the link, need to learn how to make lists and organize themselves.

Second most likely: For right hemisphere dominant individuals to be able to explain their world to the lefties. I don't know if that is really practical though.

My only other use for the information is to be able to draw conclusions from my people wathcing and to be able to judge people better.

Reactions: Knives

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well from what I have read most women are left brain dominant and most men are right brain dominant. Women tend to have highly verbal and conversational skills while men tend to be less developed in that area (caveman theories). Though men do often feel they use logic a bit more than women making them believe they are left brained. People tend to believe that women are more creative, artsy, musical, use symbols/imagery more and the fact that they like decorating causing them to think they are right brain dominant. But it's actually quite the opposite so I guess what I have read holds true.

Do you know who created the first computer programming language? It was a woman and her name was Grace Hopper. The only way I see it ever being developed is through a highly left brained dominant person who posess mathematics, scientific, words, language, and logic skills. But if this is true then don't you think it's kind of strange that the math and science fields are primarily made up of men? But I guess subjects of interests play a role in this strangeness.

But many are either highly left brain or highly right brain dominant. There are very few people who are actually balanced brain. I've never actually met another dual brain person though but I'll tell you what it feels like being a dual brainer. My brain is constantly playing tug-of-war fighting each other to develop an answer or solution. A famous dual brainer is Leonardo Da Vinci, he excelled at multiple subjects because he was able to use his whole brain instead of only half of one side.
This was very interesting, and I will comment more later when I'm not using my phone to type but I am actually surprised that more women are not known for being left brain dominant.
Are you quite certain of your findings that most women should be left brained or is this a theory you have come up with?
If you have any sources that explain what you've written I'd love to read some.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This was very interesting, and I will comment more later when I'm not using my phone to type but I am actually surprised that more women are not known for being left brain dominant.
Are you quite certain of your findings that most women should be left brained or is this a theory you have come up with?
If you have any sources that explain what you've written I'd love to read some.
LEFT BRAIN - RIGHT BRAIN
Hidden Talents--Brain 116 Men vs Women

A majority yes, but DayLightSun is dominant right brain.

Who talks more with words and language? Women do. When a woman tells a man "We need to talk" what does the man do? He tries to avoid it any way he can because he has not really developed his verbal and language skills and feels very uncomfortable to talk. Men are more stimulated by erotic images than women are and this part lies within the right brain function. Women are sexually stimulated by words and language which lies on the left brain function, I believe this to be true. Why true? It's the only clear logical explanation I have for women wanting to read Judith McNaught and Daniel Steele novels. :wink:

A woman is very detail oriented (left brain function), she will notice when things are out of place, if someone has changed their hairstyle, wore new jewelry, changed their clothing style, or noticed color changes. If a women dresses very different one day and asks a man "So do you notice anything different?" he will be confused or simply say "no" because most men will not be heavily detailed oriented. Men are less detailed oriented and they'll take 5 minutes to get ready to go out. This is probably the reason why women spend hours doing their hair, makeup, etc... because they are highly detailed oriented.

Philosophy is a right brain function, the greatest philosophers were men i.e. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle (I've never heard of any great women philosophers so if you know some let me know). Creativity, fantasy, and imagination rule the right side of the brain. The largest portion of the fantasy genre is dominantly male. These are the World of Warcraft players, Dungeons & Dragons, Ultima Online, Final Fantasy, Star Wars and Everquest. You could say Sci-fi is part of fantasy though but it does have the elements of imagination in them with a little bit of concrete science. Sci-fi stuff like Stargate SG-1/Atlantis, Star Trek TNG/DS9/Voyager, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Dr. Who and Quantum Leap have dominant male viewers.

Object Name VS Object Function
Women will know the objects name, men will know the objects function. I find this to be true when at a dinner table. My male friend would point and tell me "Pass me that" and of course I will look confused not knowing what the hell he wants (of course I'm probably guilty of this in my younger days also). And of course I would respond with "You mean the salt?" and he would respond "Yes, the salt." He only knows the function and will have difficult time naming the object, he only knows that it will make his food salty (salt), spicy (pepper), tangy/tarty/sour (mustard) or acidic/tarty/sour (ketchup). But I find when a women asks me she will most likely say "Can you pass me the salt/pepper?" instead of pointing at the object calling it "that." I believe this is related to word and language development.

Have you ever heard the difference between a man giving directions and a woman giving directions? If not then see how the man gives direction and then see how the woman gives directions.
Who's Better at Giving Directions, Men or Women? | Popular Science

But to answer Knives question of "What is the practicaly application of finding out if you're right or left brain dominant?" To possibly answer or find if there is a correlation between being right or left brain hemisphere being an ENTJ or possibly a correlation difference between being a male ENTJ or a female ENTJ. We know that female ENTJ's are quite rare. But do remember that we are ENTJ's on the constant quest for knowledge and to understand things. Our analytical function lies on the left brain hemisphere while our intuition lies on the right brain hemisphere. As an ENTJ we use use logics and rationality and that is a left brain function. But we see things in a "big picture" and that is a right brain function. The holistic function of the right brain allows us to break the big pictures down to details to understand them provided that we have developed our detailed oriented side of the left brain. But as an ENTJ you may have difficulty seeing the details if you have not developed that function yet.

Dear Sigmund says she's balanced brain from the tests. She may have started left and developed her right functions and became balanced (it could be quite possible the other way around also). I was right and worked on left functions and ended up being balanced. What did I work on my left side? Well I improved my written and verbal skills, learn to pay attention to details and being objective. But what does it mean to be objective? It means we focus on the outcome or results when making a decision instead of focusing on our or someone else's feelings. Our decisions are impersonal. Since our [T]hinking side is a left brain function and our i[N]tuition is a right brain function it only leads me to believe that it is quite possible that ENTJ's are balanced brain as Sigmund and I are. But if she were to take the multiple intelligence test I think she would score quite high. Why do I believe this? Because Leonardo Da Vinci is balanced brain and excelled in quite a bit of subjects which leads me to believe why I scored high on a multiple intelligence test by MyPersonality.info. But typically I score +-1% to 2% on either hemispheres i.e. Left brain 52% Right brain 48%.

I think this subject is quite complex because it contains a lot of elements and plenty of external forces that shape our brain and the way we think. It is quite possible for a woman to think like a man and for a man to think like a woman. Kind of scary though, I scored 25% being a woman's brain and got 9 out of 10 for looking at eyes and figuring out people's emotions (something a woman is able to do). Perhaps in the future when I get the chance to finish reading about Ned Hermann's 4 brain quadrants we could discuss this more. The brain is a powerful and complex piece of machinery. But to reach the point of equilibrium in the brain the ENTJ must continue learning, improving, and understanding.

Quite interesting Male/Female Brain Test here:

BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.