Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
How can you rationalize Christianity? I do not want to anyone to be offend anyone in any way, I am merely curious.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am, too! I'm trying to decide between Calvinism and Molinism...

How can you rationalize Christianity? I do not want to anyone to be offend anyone in any way, I am merely curious.
I'm not offended. I ought to have good reasons. If you want to know the steps in the thinking, it goes like this:

Based on the world we live in, which is fine-tuned, in which objective morals most likely exist, which seems like it has not forever existed, in which goodness and beauty and truth seem to objectively exist, I believe in God. I could spend quite some time elaborating on why I believe in each of these premises (that this world is fine-tuned, that objective morals exist, etc.), and why I believe the most likely conclusion based on these premises is that God exists.

Based on my belief in God, I'm left with a few options: 1) He's unknowable. 2) He's knowable, but we have not yet discovered him/he hasn't yet revealed himself to us/he revealed himself but we missed it. 3) He's knowable, and He has revealed Himself/we have discovered him in one of the religions that exists in the world today.

With these three options in mind, I believe God has revealed himself, and he is the God of Christianity.
I believe this because if a man who identified Himself as God raises from the dead, I believe him. And I believe he did indeed rise from the dead because it seems like, given the existence of a God (which implies the feasibility of miracles), the most likely explanation to the historical facts is that Jesus did rise from the dead. The mere fact that Christianity exists, that hundreds of people reported that a well-known tomb was empty, the fact that hundreds of people were convinced enough of what they saw to die for it, the fact it is based on very public actions -- all of these are practically unexplainable without Jesus actually rising from the dead. Now, again, each of these requires much, much, much more explanation. I'm just trying to present the logical steps I take. NT Wright and William Lane Craig have done an excellent job, from a purely historical view, at explaining why it seems most likely Jesus rose from the dead.

Now, this is not an easy pill to swallow. To accept that explanation would require a drastic shifting in worldview and how you interpret life. And it certainly has. But I think it makes sense.

So to sum it up: Observation of the world --> existence of God. Explanation of history+existence of God --> Jesus resurrected. And then this belief I feel has been confirmed existentially in my own life through the presence of the Spirit. That's not provable, of course, but it also plays a role in why I believe.

I resonate deeply with this quote: "Even if I turn out to be wrong, I shall bet my life on the assumption that this world is not idiotic, neither run by an absentee landlord, but that today, this very day, some stroke is being added to the cosmic canvas that in due course I shall understand with joy as a stroke made by the architect who calls himself Alpha and Omega" (Kilby).

If you want to read more in-depth arguments, check out reasonablefaith.org

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, but independently. I do not stand with the church.
That's funny. Jesus does. "I will build my church." You don't stand with Jesus if you reject one of the main programs he instituted.

Sorry for the sarcasm. But seriously, how do you reason?

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's funny. Jesus does. "I will build my church." You don't stand with Jesus if you reject one of the main programs he instituted.

Sorry for the sarcasm. But seriously, how do you reason?
The church Jesus built long ago is much different from the one that is present today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts