21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Reactions: ninjahitsawall

·
Special Character
6,284 Posts
Victimized? I can't relate to this. I'd see any obstacle more as a challenge. What you're describing seems like emotional blackmail - appealing to your sympathy. I would see no usefulness in your sympathy. It's a waste of time dwelling on something that can't be changed. Don't see the point in organizing a pity party. I'm more likely to do the opposite, play my strength card and not show weakness. I see my self as capable. Bring it. Pretty please, underestimate my ability based on what you see as a handicap.
I'd say this is more about being a type 8 than an ENTJ.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts

·
Special Character
6,284 Posts
Well, I AM a type 8. :tongue:
Oh, I don't doubt it. :wink:

And, of course, most ENTJs are 8s so it will be accurate for a majority here.
Really, this probably sets the tone for most of this thread and future threads that ask about a type's behaviour: Unless we are discussing specifically areas of a type's life that pertain to a functional order of thinking then mostly it'll be a function of motivation rather than thought process and probably enneagram is better equipped to answer.

I suppose a predominant manipulation style could be closely associated to functional usage but an asshole is an asshole and will tend to use every strategy he can to get what he wants from you, whether appealing to your emotions or constructing a situation where you are forced into his palms.

More related to the OP: I notice Te-users can use emotional manipulation but it always seems so calculated. You know? Kinda insincere. Like they were waiting to trap you. It's cold and distant. Almost too perfect. It's probably something to do with systemising and applying it like a formula or something. Maybe that's a gross misrepresentation and I'm trying to be constructive when really there is nothing more to be said than that this is not a question of Jungian type.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Are ENTJ’s prone to emotional manipulation and victimization when they are backed into a corner?

I’m seeing an ENTJ man. He’s a great, passionate person who loves playing music, fighting, working out, fashion, growing his company, etc. He’s just a person who happens to have a disability (paraplegia). This is the first time I’ve allowed myself to open up to someone in three years so it’s pretty important to know if manipulation and victimization is just a characteristic tactic of ENTJ’s as trolling might be to most ENTP’s.

Thank you.
I'm married to an ENTJ, and he isn't very manipulative at all. He never wants to do anything that compromises what he believes is right, and manipulation is one of the worst things you can do in his mind. The worst issue for me is that suddenly he'll tell me one day that he's been having trouble opening up to me and feels like he can't talk to me because I'll lambast him or something. I usually have had no idea that this problem was going on, and it'll have been bothering him for weeks.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'm married to an ENTJ, and he isn't very manipulative at all. He never wants to do anything that compromises what he believes is right, and manipulation is one of the worst things you can do in his mind. The worst issue for me is that suddenly he'll tell me one day that he's been having trouble opening up to me and feels like he can't talk to me because I'll lambast him or something. I usually have had no idea that this problem was going on, and it'll have been bothering him for weeks.
Guilty as charged.

It's just really difficult to tell people when I have an emotional problem because I feel obliged to power through it. It's taken a lot of time to be able to step back and figure out when I'm actually feeling something and it's bad and then actually tell someone- and even now I'm still not particularly great at it.

Btw I just now actually read the OP on the favorite colors poll- sorry for fucking up your numbers. o_o

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Guilty as charged.

It's just really difficult to tell people when I have an emotional problem because I feel obliged to power through it. It's taken a lot of time to be able to step back and figure out when I'm actually feeling something and it's bad and then actually tell someone- and even now I'm still not particularly great at it.

Btw I just now actually read the OP on the favorite colors poll- sorry for fucking up your numbers. o_o
HAHA. That's okay. It's just for fun, and I can still see pretty well what INTPs like. It's kind of fascinating. We like all the colors I suspected: dark colors, black primarily, and cool colors plus red. Figures. I am a bit surprised violet is so popular though.

Anyway, that was off topic. I actually take a while to figure out what I'm feeling sometimes too, but unlike him, I usually stop caring by the time I do, or I just tell him as though it's a new problem because I've forgotten all of the original situations to use as evidence or example. I also am an extroverted feeler and an extroverted intuit so I'll just blab whatever I'm thinking about as I go.

I try to be encouraging and remember to not get bossy with my husband, mostly. Neither of us respond well to bossiness. Furthermore, I have found that if I open up first, he will then feel comfortable with saying his most recent problem. I mostly have trouble with not talking his ear off so he has time to think and respond lol.

Reactions: maust
21 - 27 of 27 Posts