Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

First post, so be patient. It could be the wine that I just had, but I have been pondering a lot lately about where I want my life to go. I consistently find myself surrounded by people who are incredibly talented at one thing. One thing that is their "thing" and they thrive at it. Some of them have made careers out of it, and others have just been amazing to watch as they grow into these awesome individuals with the drive to become experts at this one thing. I, on the other hand, am good at a lot of things. But not great. Never great. I can probably guess that it's because I have a list of other things I want to learn and I just needed to check it off. Or life would be inefficient and unfulfilled if you just focus on one thing and never consider all the other things you could learn that are available to you. As if life is this big long project and check list of things to accomplish. Drawing, Painting, Dancing, Storytelling, Aerial Fitness, Instrument Playing, Arts & Crafts, Organizing, Writing, Optimizing Diet and Exercise... all of these things are just some of the many things that interest me that I want to be phenomenal at. But I can't focus on them long enough to be an expert. And all of them happen to be things ENTJs don't tend to gravitate toward (artistic and creative endeavors).

I am GOOD at a lot of things, and I have made a career out of being diverse (I am a project manager/coordinator in the Film and Advertising Industries). Possibly thinking of dabbling into Event Planning, but that's a whole other ball game. My friends are very diverse and fulfill all of these personalities that I would love to become, but can't quite set myself up to be an extreme of anything (super hardcore gamer, super into sports, solely working out all the time, etc.)

So to cut to the chase, I am asking all of you ENTJs out there... Is this a common thing? How do you handle not living up to these ideals that you have set in your life? Am I missing something? Is approaching my life in such a manner setting me up for failure?

Any input (harsh or empathetic) would be greatly appreciated. I don't suppose there's any one answer out there, but I would like to see what my options are <------ typical ENTJ thought process...

Thanks in advance to everyone.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
As cliche as it sounds, I do my best in what I do, that is all I can do. I only put my time into things I deem important. In my eyes, I will never reach perfection, however it is the pursuit of it that is important.

Also, in regards to your thread title 2 quotes came to mind.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im an ENTP, but the longest relationship in my life (what i have) is with an ENTJ (my mom :D ) so I think I can tell that she's the best!!
She's a language teacher (teaches 7 languages speaks 18) and her students are always the best on competitions...
shes a bit crasy but thats how we are compatible with each other... shes kinda my best friend, I can go even party with her,
when I was a teenage, she was giving me ideas how to escape at night to party, while every houar my grandpa was checking on me Am I sleeping or not... :D we can talk about everything, shes the best mom for shure!!
I havent seen her for 4 months because Im on erasmus and we already made some plans what will we do when I come home... we'll go off-road racing!! :D (both of us we are crasy drivers ;) )
My little brother is an ENTJ too and hes the best communicator ever, I really like to talk with him especially arguing :D and hes a good basketball player too... but I think he should focus more on studying than basketball... he has a real talent, he should go to law school for shure!
So I think ENTJ-s got talent, but maybe they cannot see it in themselves, I think others can see it in them and tell them... ;)
Ask your friends what are they thinking in witch things you are the best... You'll get your anwser for shure :)

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
This is quite a common trait in ENTPs as well, actually. At times, I am bothered by this tendency to be good at a lot of things, but not great. I often wonder if I was more disciplined and able to actually sit down and take the time to completely master something, wouldn't that be an accomplishment?

I'm definitely working towards this. With my worst possible subject -- Math. I want to completely annihilate it. And then move onto physics.

I'm actually starting at the very basics. Yup, that's right. Addition, subtraction, and so forth. Just to see all of the possible shortcuts and things I might have missed, due to missing the point and meaning behind doing math. I had always been frustrated by it. People, and peers, would claim that they hated math. I couldn't say I hated it. I was certainly frustrated by it, as a kid, but it was more of not being able to comprehend it. And I was always dubious when people claimed I just wasn't a math person. You can be anything you want to be, you just have to work at it.

So, it's slow going.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to talk on the myriad of subjects that I'm able to if my focus wasn't so divided, and this can be a real strength when you're an improviser.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You are great in being good at everything. That is also a gift. But if you wish to change this, perhaps you should decide which of that everything would be most interesting/lucrative to you to develop. This is the advantage at being good at everything.

·
Registered
983 Posts
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"
Ah yes, the famous Heinlein quote.

Love that one.

I'm also in the same boat as the OP!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my worst possible subject -- Math. I want to completely annihilate it. And then move onto physics.
Haha, that's funny that you're working to be good at something in order to move onto something else. I really like all the replies here, and where I do agree, I wonder if they call us the "Executives" because the art and creativity is harder for us to focus and zone in on. I've been noticing this a lot with myself. As enjoyable as it would be to be great at one thing, maybe it's the process that I don't find appealing because I'm always trying to find the fastest most efficient way to achieve my goals? Obviously, this is no way to become an expert, however, it doesn't change the fact that I have that mentality for everything.

To add to that actually, I HAVE made myself a curriculum in order to become a better animator (back before I got work as a coordinator)-- I gave myself deadlines, areas to focus on, and when to start other assignments, studies, and tests. Funny thing, I was so into coming up with assignments for myself that I never ACTUALLY did the curriculum, I started framing assignments for all my friends so they could become better at what they do! Good times...

@Monkey King, I do appreciate being good at everything, and I recognize that every day. I'm going to think hard about what would be important to me and see if maybe I really can sit down and try to focus on it long enough to master it. I love learning so much about a lot of things, though, I just hope I don't find any shiny objects on the way!

@Atalanta, I have asked my friends and expressed my concern, and they have told me similar things (I'm good at communicating, networking, goal setting, etc.). I think it's frustrating by the end of the day to not physically see something visual that represents my talents. It's hard to measure how well you communicate and how well you can multi-task, so I feel I lack talent in anything, you know? I'll try to focus on things that are a little more visual to satisfy this goal and see how I feel. Thanks for the input!

@Extraverted Delusion, Did you find peace of mind? Or are you struggling toward a goal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your problem doesn't seem to be relevant to us ENTJs.
You attracted a bunch of ENTPs, though. Perhaps you relate to them more.
It's possible. I've taken the test multiple times and still ended up mostly ENTJ. Checked out the forums for ENTP and ENTJ differences, and I tend to lean with ENTJ traits.

It could also be that I'm just at a weird point in my life and haven't found the right drive or project. I'm still young (24). I'll consider looking into it more, though :) Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ehh you'r 24 and sound like my grandma... I thought that your 50 or something!! :D :D there's plenty of time for you to figure out whats fitting you the most, please I could sit and cry like this all day, I'm the best at making mess and to get myself in deep shit all the time ect, but I'm also enjoying this with a little bit different sence of humor ;)
...and I'm 23 so I'm not so far away from you :D
Think positively!!! :D
@Rainbow
ENTPs are good problem solvers and they are inspiring, that's why we are here ;)

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
I will be 23 next month. I also happen to feel similarly.

Perhaps 'tis not an ENTJ thing so much as a young ENTX thing?
It's a young XXXX thing

;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'll be honest with you, I do not like to do things that interfere with my current goals. This means that if I have a particular interest I will not sacrifice any of the time I'm currently using to pursue it. The only way to circumvent this is to cut out sleep, sleep is really pointless anyway. So basically I just wake up earlier, usually about 2 hours, and spend those extra hours delving into whatever interests me. I'll do this for a few months until I accomplish what I want to accomplish, and then go back to my original sleep schedule.

This is how I learn everything, even things that are applicable to my future goals. Also, be aware of your learning style. Don't try to learn things from a guide or a book, you will set yourself up for failure. Te doesn't like all information, Te absorbs only practical information, basically your mind will only absorb information you find useful.. Ergo, if you read a book on a subject you are interested in, you will quickly become bored.

Set up a strategy, what do you want to accomplish, what do you want to produce? Once you accomplish your initial goal, you will find that your mind is so stimulated, that it will keep setting the bar higher and higher. Don't focus on becoming a master, or you never will be. You could spend a lifetime on any one thing and still not know everything, or be a master, or whatever. If you set learning everything as a goal your mind will give up, because ultimately you will realize it's not possible.

If you are truly an ENTJ, you have a beautiful mind, and a unique way of pulling in information. Instead of reading a book, which is very linear, your mind will be much more stimulated with a puzzle of information. Use the internet to your advantage in this respect. (not to say books are absolutely terrible, they're great for referencing)

Everyone has a different opinion, or a different way of accomplishing something. Use the internet to find these people, find their perspectives, their methods, and piece them together to construct yours.

·
Banned
486 Posts
I'm an INTJ and one of the common features of an INTJ is the tendency to approach mastery and move on to find a new challenge. I think for the ENTJ and INTJ types that is what makes us appear to be effective leaders. A leader needs to have understanding of a multitude of concepts but true mastery has a time to effectiveness trade off. Each level of skill requires an increasing investment for a reduced pay off. As an INTJ I know that it is often better to switch roads to find the top of the mountain that to blindly follow one.

A strong dabbler knows far more about the world than a passionate expert, and knows enough to refer to that expert when in that field. Also knowing enough to measure the worth of that experts opinion.

My experience has been that overly specialized people make very poor leaders (outside of leading only other similar people). Without dabblers no one would be able to unite the narrow minded into the effective networks society requires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.