Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off I appreciate your time for viewing this post. I am a highly driven ENTJ male (19) currently saving money for school and future investing.

I wanted to ask you guys a question that has been crossing my mind for a while now. I haven't been able to pin point the answer but I was thinking maybe you guys can help me on this one.?
What entry level jobs best suit ENTJs?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
McDonalds will develop humility

·
Registered
15 Posts
McDonalds will develop humility
As a buisness, McDonalds are absolutely amazing. They are so interesting to study in regards to marketing and lean business models.

Anyways, to answer the original question-you want an entry level that will allow you to learn systems. Build on that knowledge fast and start to change processes. Customer facing roles suit us as we can lay on our charm in a way that makes us happy. You want a position that allows you to absorb all the knowledge you need to start challenging people in meetings. Get noticed. Remember there is no room for emotion at the boardroom table, use this time to perfect your poker face. Trust no-one, people will try to steal your forward thinking ideas. What do you want to be? Figure out your end game and the rest is easy-we can make anything happen after all.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It depends. A lot of ENTJs go into business, engineering, politics, or the military. I personally don't think the stiff military style fits an ENTJ's innovation and somewhat disregard for rules. I think any job you think would best prepare you for your future works. You want experience and exploration, and it's not like you're going to stick to it permanently.

My first job was when I was 16 was as an ESL tutor. My second job at 17 was as a salesperson for an event convention. I go with my dad to do house evaluations and real estate stuff occasionally. Since you're 19, think about getting into the stock market. Howthemarketworks.com is an excellent simulation before you get into the real stock world. If anything, a stockbroker isn't too bad of a side job.

I'm thinking about selling stuff online (Amazon). We've got everything almost ready now. I just need to familiarize myself with the rules, fees, customer, and need to find some time to do it XD I'm in the business/real estate field, and idk if that's what you're into. So find out where your real passions lie and just grab any opportunity that is placed in front of you. I mean really grab it; what I've learned the hard way is that opportunities only come once

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It depends. A lot of ENTJs go into business, engineering, politics, or the military. I personally don't think the stiff military style fits an ENTJ's innovation and somewhat disregard for rules. I think any job you think would best prepare you for your future works. You want experience and exploration, and it's not like you're going to stick to it permanently.
LOL I would literally be terrible at any military position except general. I HATE taking orders, and god help the person who tries to make me do anything for no reason/"to build character"/because they say so.

That person was my ISTJ mother, throughout my whole childhood. Sorry Mom <3

Reactions: MrCeo

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
As a buisness, McDonalds are absolutely amazing. They are so interesting to study in regards to marketing and lean business models.
Their history is a very practical study into standardization and quality control at a level that makes it easy to understand. Ray Kroc's whole motif was figuring out how to sell benefits of low cost and time efficiency dining to franchisees in a growth market era (after peddling milkshake machines), Harry Sonneborne convinced investors to see it as real estate investment in order raise the capital required to expand fast enough to take a controlling position in the market. Mcd Marketing listened to the experiments of franchisers, or Kroc's anally retentive impatience for managements poor control over customer experience (hygiene & garbage) to ensure product customers wanted, deliberately keeping restaurant locations away from where they could attract transients was considered as a way to ensure family friendly environments, but it also manifested Kroc's sexism such as no-women in the kitchen, no big boobs on service duty.

The 4th P, promotion, always seemed rather dubious given number of successful lawsuit claims against McDonalds advertising.

My original comment is intended as a double entendre, where the first interpretation "sending a wannabe Ceo to flip burgers" as beneath them is a trap for rooting out snobbery instilled into the minds of children via parents, seeking higher paying careers for them. That method of motivation has no place in modern leadership, especially if you want people to flip burgers for you.

·
Registered
811 Posts
LOL I would literally be terrible at any military position except general. I HATE taking orders, and god help the person who tries to make me do anything for no reason/"to build character"/because they say so.

That person was my ISTJ mother, throughout my whole childhood. Sorry Mom <3
Hahaha well-said! I have been known for yelling at ppl who try to tell me what to do. ENTJ thing possibly

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey guys, first off I appreciate your time for viewing this post. I am a highly driven ENTJ male (19) currently saving money for school and future investing.

I wanted to ask you guys a question that has been crossing my mind for a while now. I haven't been able to pin point the answer but I was thinking maybe you guys can help me on this one.?
Given your goals I would suggest initially to try to do what makes the most money per hour. This is usually more specialized. You can learn air conditioning and repair HVAC for example. Installing a split air AC system pays better than fast food or retail. Also, you can make much more money starting and building a company than working for someone else. It would be ideal if your entry level job can help you get moving in the right direction. Some people go military, and for that I would suggest ROTC and with an engineering degree for something like the nuclear submarine program.

School is the best ROI investment. In the long term, you would probably do best going to university and then professional school. Regular jobs generally don't pay very well compared to like running a specialty law firm or being a surgeon. You will feel alot more satisfied in life if you can be in the top 1% income wise by the time you are in your 40s, because then you have have some income property like apartment buildings so you can go on cruises and nice vacations overseas. Blue collar work only pays well if you own the company, like if you have a water well drilling company for example then you can bill a million dollars for drilling a deep well. If that case it helps to have an engineering degree like civil engineering.

Since you are ENTJ type, here's where you have that big advantage. When you go to school, try to learn something other people don't want to do or can't do well. That way you have less competition and can make more money in the long run. For example, tax law attorneys bill at $300/hour and up because people would rather major in something fun and easy rather than specialize in something boring. Who wants to study the internal revenue code for years and years? Someone who wants to make a few hundred dollars an hour. Is that like giving up your 'dream' in life? Not if one of your dreams in life is to make a few hundred dollars an hour. We can suppress our introverted feeling which gives us a huge leg up economically speaking. Many other types feel like they are sacrificing their lives or identity or something by doing something boring just for the money, but for us, money makes things not so boring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Every ENTJ is different. A suitable entry level job comes down to their priorities, goals, visions and what's available to them based on their circumstances. What drives you? An early retirement plan or having a profession that may not necessarily be the most profitable but meets a wide array of personal preferences? Based on my own priorities, I wanted a job that did the following:

• Challenged my creativity.
  • Gave me a great degree of freedom to determine my workflow and space.
  • Did not force me into an endless, boring and repetitive routine without much contribution to the big picture.
  • Allowed my problem-solving skills to excel and stimulate other abstract aspects of my mind.
With that in mind, after graduating from upper secondary school in Sweden (equivalent to high school in the states), the main options considered were to either study software engineering or game development (C++) for five years – I ended up doing neither. Instead, I was offered a job to compose music, design and implement audio for a video game company due to networking. This job met the criteria I set and more with highly ambitious, talented team members with a chemistry that was refreshing, and more importantly: A project manager that encouraged me to assist in all areas of development after realizing my potential; whether that be to come up with ideas, game mechanics, marketing, or economical strategies. Today I have more or less complete autonomy, with the project lead giving me full responsibility for the management and strategy for the audio section in multiple games – which suits me perfectly.

I hope you found my anecdotal example to be of some use. I am willing to help you figure out a plan for yourself through PM or other, quicker means if interested.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Recently landed a position as a product manager for a tech company that leverages artifical intelligence to outdo competition in its industry. I appreciate their vision and respect the people above me a lot. They are game-changers, visionaries, and always on the prowl for new. It never gets stagnant there, always new projects.

I like the tech field a lot. Granted, I was raised in Silicon Valley, I like the healthy balance the industry has between abstract and pragmatic.

My role is part-time as I'm still in school but I do a lot of research, communicating, and strategy. Happy so far.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts

None of them. From the beginning, you’ll want more. Our natural tendency to want to lead is sometimes frustrated by having to take orders, especially if the person in charge isn’t good at leading the group, or if you can see what’s wrong and don’t have the authority to fix it.

You just have to slog throught it, see what you’d do differently if you were in charge and learn and grow from the experience.

Finding an entry level job in whatever field you want to end up in isn’t always the way to go. A broader work experience sometimes works in your favor. Be open to any job that you can learn something from even if it seems like it doesn’t exactly relate to where you want to end up.

·
Registered
ENTJ, 8w7
2,726 Posts
Back when I was in that stage of the game, I found anywhere that focused on production and/or efficiency to be a good fit, and anywhere that didn't to be a bad one. (Actually, that hasn't changed even now.) I'm the sort of person who feels good when I have an actual reason to (i.e. an increase in efficacy, competence, efficiency, productivity, etc.) not when I have a combination of emotional mush and fine-sounding but empty words shoved at me. The latter is alienating, at best.

Reactions: Thomas60

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Reactions: Loser

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm an IT consultant. It's shit and I hate it.

Thinking about studying to go in to something like natural resource management. I really don't enjoy staring at a bloody screen all day.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
My husband started out in a movie store, I think, and became a manager, but that was in his teens. In the last five years he moved from doing customer service at a small phone company, was promoted to a more boring job importing and exporting phone numbers, and then he got a job doing customer service at this small consignment software company. The most recent job has evolved from tech support to a little bit of marketing, and a little bit of programming. Now he is moving into develpment because he studied some programming languages to become more valuable. He is considered indispensable at this point, and the environment is excellent. He is getting paid pretty well, I think $55K/year, and he technically doesn't move into his new position until February.

Basically, work anywhere, but keep your eyes peeled for ways to move up, or better opportunities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts