Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been consistently surprised by ENTJ's. I don't know if others have had this experience, but I know a number of people who turn out to be ENTJ's who I would never have guessed were ENTJ's. It's especially surprising because supposedly your type is a very conspicuously authoritative, "Field Marshall" type and should therefore be easily identified. I do work for an ENTJ, and he fits the bill. But the others I know...are completely different: Two of them are very phlegmatic in demeanor, and another seems very much like an ENFP. Yet another one is very serious, private, melancholy, and has weird interests.

So, do ENTJ's tend to kind of morph into whatever they decide to be, regardless of how well it coincides with the typicality of their type? And is this deliberate...kind of an intentional way to remain outside the control of others (by escaping or changing the expectations of others) in order to have leverage...remain in control?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Watch a few videos of Bill Gates during interviews. He's supposed to be an ENTJ according to various sources and I doubt people would be afraid of this man.

Margaret Thatcher is also supposed to be an ENTJ. Watch a few videos of her and notice the differences. You'll see the Gates is an intelligent pansy while Thatcher is a badass.

So to sum it up, I agree with Diph.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Watch a few videos of Bill Gates during interviews. He's supposed to be an ENTJ according to various sources and I doubt people would be afraid of this man.

Margaret Thatcher is also supposed to be an ENTJ. Watch a few videos of her and notice the differences. You'll see the Gates is an intelligent pansy while Thatcher is a badass.

So to sum it up, I agree with Diph.
thatcher is a pretty cool guy eh sinks argie light cruisers and doesnt afraid of anyone

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No we do not morph into anything we decide to be. We are individuals first; our ENTJ temperament is only part of who we are.
I'm curious if this tends to be the consensus among ENTJ's. :wink:

Reactions: KaylRyck

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well I agree with it.
I second it.
MBTI profiles are almost nonsense in the sense that every person Ive met that knows of MBTI constantly tells me Im "supposed" to be domineering/manipulative/pushy/bossy.
Sorry those are the types of people I hate.

There is mild truth to them, but in general, take it with a grain, or rather...a bucket of salt.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
They are not mutants they are just real people. MBTI theory is very simple. You really need first hand experience with people to get a grasp on the variability and unaccountable variables to watch out for. Which is what you have noticed and are realizing right now. MBTI profiles make people sound super-human somehow, so that when you go into real world you are like "wait, these are not those people I read about, where are my super-human people??" But despite of what it says in MBTI profiles the reality and real people outside have remained same. And all of those people despite whatever flaws they have, even very severe flaws, can be categorized under one profile or another.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I second it.
MBTI profiles are almost nonsense in the sense that every person Ive met that knows of MBTI constantly tells me Im "supposed" to be domineering/manipulative/pushy/bossy.
Sorry those are the types of people I hate.

There is mild truth to them, but in general, take it with a grain, or rather...a bucket of salt.
That's just it...I think I'm probing the MBTI for holes, and I'm discovering them particularly in light of ENTJ's. I'm still new to it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are not mutants they are just real people. MBTI theory is very simple. You really need first hand experience with people to get a grasp on the variability and unaccountable variables to watch out for. Which is what you have noticed and are realizing right now. MBTI profiles make people sound super-human somehow, so that when you go into real world you are like "wait, these are not those people I read about, where are my super-human people??" But despite of what it says in MBTI profiles the reality and real people outside have remained same. And all of those people despite whatever flaws they have, even very severe flaws, can be categorized under one profile or another.
Point well-taken. My use of the word "mutant" was hyperbole and humor, which maybe didn't come across as I'd hoped. I agree with your synopsis. MBTI is like using a microscope: Everything is accentuated and makes you see more than is actually completely necessary to see...unless of course it BECOMES necessary to see it for a break-through in understanding.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. Its curtains for you.

But that INFP kitty is certainly cute
Now, there's the ENTJ we all know and love. Finally! I was worried you guys had ceased to exist. I feel much better now. Hip hip hurray! 3 cheers, everybody!
What would a little kitty be anyway, without a big angry gun pointing at it! Me and my paws are outta here.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Point well-taken. My use of the word "mutant" was hyperbole and humor, which maybe didn't come across as I'd hoped. I agree with your synopsis. MBTI is like using a microscope: Everything is accentuated and makes you see more than is actually completely necessary to see...unless of course it BECOMES necessary to see it for a break-through in understanding.
I got the comparison but wanted to include "real" in the first sentence on purpose to better get my point across. I didn't think you literally believe these are some kind of mutant people :p ... although some make me wonder too ... <.< .. >.> ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.