Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out a couple of days ago that I am (allegedly) an ENTJ, but I have a few question about my own personality as I know it that don't exactly jive with most of the descriptions I've read.

Extravert - I used to be extremely outgoing. As I've gotten older (I'm only 26) I've found that I enjoy it less, but feel the desire to be more outgoing. Like a catch 22. Also, I've come to see social gatherings more as a tool than fun.

Intuition/Sensing - I've taken many of the type tests, and on some, I have high Intuition, and on others borderline Sensing. Whats with the disparity?

As for ENTJ being an organizer and planner, there is no middle ground for me. I'm extremely good at organizing and planning on an extreme short or extreme long term basis - hours/years. In between I think that I don't worry about it because the day to day activities of my life don't have enough of an impact on my long term goals.

Leader - Eh, I rarely find the need to be in a leadership position, unless I'm surrounded by complete morons. I find that long term, meeting the right people long before the need for them arises puts me in a better position when the time comes, than to jump into the lead at the last minute.

I'm going to leave off with just these for now so I can digest your opinions in manageable bites. What I really want to know is do these few disparities indicate another type that I should be looking at? When I look through the various descriptions it seems as though many of them share common factors, so for a new guy like me, it can be a little confusing.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
So I just found out a couple of days ago that I am (allegedly) an ENTJ, but I have a few question about my own personality as I know it that don't exactly jive with most of the descriptions I've read.

Extravert - I used to be extremely outgoing. As I've gotten older (I'm only 26) I've found that I enjoy it less, but feel the desire to be more outgoing. Like a catch 22. Also, I've come to see social gatherings more as a tool than fun.

Intuition/Sensing - I've taken many of the type tests, and on some, I have high Intuition, and on others borderline Sensing. Whats with the disparity?

As for ENTJ being an organizer and planner, there is no middle ground for me. I'm extremely good at organizing and planning on an extreme short or extreme long term basis - hours/years. In between I think that I don't worry about it because the day to day activities of my life don't have enough of an impact on my long term goals.

Leader - Eh, I rarely find the need to be in a leadership position, unless I'm surrounded by complete morons. I find that long term, meeting the right people long before the need for them arises puts me in a better position when the time comes, than to jump into the lead at the last minute.

I'm going to leave off with just these for now so I can digest your opinions in manageable bites. What I really want to know is do these few disparities indicate another type that I should be looking at? When I look through the various descriptions it seems as though many of them share common factors, so for a new guy like me, it can be a little confusing.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. :)

Extroversion: If you feel like you'd rather be outside with other people instead of inside alone, then you're most probably Extroverted, regardless if your minor introversion. It's pretty rare if someone's completely Introverted or Extroverted or whatever; uncommon that you feel you're a bit quiet. I, personally, reffer to this as "Introverted Extroversion". You may be quiet, but an Extrovert, nontheless.

When you make decissions, do you lay out your info. and conclude with the more obvious, black and white answer, or do you deduce what might've happened, regardless of the evidence? Sensors are the type of people who are told jokes and often don't understand the abstract idea. They also mainly trust the concrete facts and choose one, big-picture idea. iNtuitives will hear the joke and either comprehend it or think up their own adaptation. XD iNtuitives will see the data and, when everyone else says it's "guilty", they'll derive "murder" (sorry for the metaphore [also, iNtuitives tend to utilize and appreciate metaphores more than Sensors]). iNtuitives catch sarcasm a tad better as well. XD

I do relate to your difficulties comprehending the MBTI types and their differences. At first I thought it was like those palm reading personality typology things where the descriptions are almost all the same (and loosely framed for individual interpretation), but, as I studied it and segrigated certain points in each type, I noticed that it is well developed and useful. Once you learn the types and certain aspects about them (such as words you could utilize to influence different types, how each type generally looks, how compatable they are with other types, etc.), you're able to manipulate (not solely in a bad way) people sometimes and understand how they think a bit better. It's pretty interesting. :) Here's a site you might like; each type is introduced with a basic physical description (though, keep in mind: If you don't personally look like what is described, that doesn't indicate that your typology is incorrect) and personality characteristics. Awesome site; it also includes a compatability chart that's very descriptive.

Personality types:
Psychological Type profiles

Compatability chart:
Complete relationship chart between psychological ("personality") types

Nice profile picture, by the way. XD

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
T-type extraverts generally have less of an interest in people, therefore they may not fit the standard definition of extraversion. Treat extraversion not as partying and socializing but as a more broader concept of needing more interaction out of your environment. So any time you go out, even if it is to do something alone, that's a form of extraversion. F-type extraverts are more people oriented in their extraversion and likely to seek social interaction, so they are the ones who fit the commonly acceptable definition of extraversion.

I'd recommend you read up about these functions to understand them better - in short, sensing places more value on direct information that you can pick up with senses (hearing, seeing, touching, etc) and intuition places more value in interconnecting different objects/information that you have perceived through your senses.
ENFP Wiki
Fundamental Nature of the MBTI
Function Attitude
Intro to Function Theory + More Detailed Descriptions of Each Function Attitude: personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts