Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all. :)

So, when I take the quiz things, I always get a very, very slightly expressed Extravert rating and the T and J are always there. I feel like an introvert in some ways but I feel like, overall, I enjoy being out among people even if I don't actually feel close to them personally. I don't really know what's up with the S and the iN... That one varies depending on the quiz thing, I think I relate more with the N, but I don't feel like I'm that cold - towards others at least. I dunno.

Maybe I'm some other type entirely.

I'm baffled mostly. :\

Any insight?

I answered these question things... I'm crazy long winded, sorry.

1. When working on a project where do you place your emphasis? the process of putting it together? or the final product? (Do you experiment with your perspectives to create ideas? )
A: I'm just in college now... But when I work on something, like studying, etc, I want to get it done as efficiently and as well as possible but not in an in a rush sort of way. Like, if you are doing something, you’re doing it in order to get it done (of course) but if you don’t do that thing well and thoroughly, then you are wasting your time doing it at all.
I’m very much a puzzle person – work towards the finish but I might just attempt something for the pure challenge of it.

2. Are you a realist? Are you more of a no nonsense type of person? (I find these people like to call bullshit on everything)
A: I am a realist… i think. I wish I was an idealist, but I know there’s no way I am – I don’t entertain bullshit no matter how nice it sounds.

At the same time though, I am a very optimistic person… Unless I have a very solid opinion on a situation. Then, screw that, I’m telling the truth. Unless it would make someone cry – but its unlikely that I would see this coming before I said the thing.

3. Would you say you make decisions quickly? or do you take a while coming to a conclusion, because you hope you're not missing some vital information that will change your mind?
A: I like when decisions are easy so that I can make them quickly and not have to look back and wonder if I made the right choice; But I’m all for marching forward even if I realize later I’ve made a mistake – acknowledge it, address it, apologize, move on.
If I see that I’m missing vital info needed to make a choice, then I will seek it out, of course.

4. Do you ever experience nostalgia? For instance being able to completely remember a mood of a past experience/time?
A: Yeah, I can… Well, maybe… If I think about an event very hard. Well, I guess I can’t really recreate the mood/emotion in my mind, but I can remember thinking that I was feeling happy or sad or removed at the time.
Oh man, I don’t know. If y’all think this question is vital, I can come back to it; just lemme know.

5. Are you of the rebellious sort? The sort who rebels for no reason other than to rebel against authority?
A: Not really. I obey rules unless I have a good reason not to.
Rules are usually for a good reason, and, after I know the reason why, I feel more comfortable making a call on whether or not I need to obey them in this situation.

6. When watching a film and critiquing it? Do you critique it based on details in the film, for instance on how you thought a certain portion of it was un-realistic (or something along those lines) or based on the idea or point they were trying to get across/how well they got it across? (It can be a combination of both sometimes too) (an example would be for example, critiquing Passion of the Christ, do you think the movies retarded because no one can live as long as he did with that much blood loss, or because of the fundamental errors the movie makes when trying to make its point, and the way it tries to connect the audience to that point?)
A: Depends on the kind of critique I’m doing. I understand the importance of willingly suspending disbelief until I’ve given something a chance - Just flow with the film and see how you feel at the end.
Of course I’ll mention all the little things too though. Not really critically though, just observationally. A classic example of the way I act in movies is when I was watching the movie Volcano with my family as a kid. I was maybe 9. Well, anyway, in the film, they where having a meeting discussing what to do about the volcano problem and, in an earlier scene, they had mentioned the lack of clean, uncontaminated water in the town. Well, on the meeting table, was a pitcher filled with clear, iced water. Huh. I point it out and my mom tells me to just enjoy the movie.
I more recently, I was watching the movie Ponyo and when, well, I guess it was when ponyo and the kid reached the undersea bubble thing with all the old folks in it, I noticed this lady setting up chairs in the background. For no reason. No one wants to sit down, yet she’s working so hard to just put these chairs up… I found it odd. I mentioned it to my sis and she told me thought it was hilarious that I noticed that.

I guess maybe that detracts from my watching the overall film, but I try to sit through the film all the way, then look back and make a call on if I liked it or not. Maybe I’ll cite specific scenes – I probably will if I think hard enough – but generally I leave the theatre with a certain vibe: like, dislike, apathetic or undecided. Undecided is good usually, because that means I’m intrigued.

7. When debating with others, do you ever get the feeling or state for that matter, that you can see where your opponent is coming from? For instance I have gotten into arguments over things I honestly don't believe (or could care less if it were true), but it all started when someone would tell me about a certain topic and how this certain stance is stupid.Then I would say well, I can see why they'd think that or how it could be possible, then they'd start arguing with me as if I had a stake in it.... Do you feel you do anything like that?
A: I can’t read minds… I rarely can relate with others... If that’s what you mean. Not really sure what the question is... But yes, to respond to at least the second part of this. I’ve had similar experiences to yours. I try to defend an idea against some hasty, poorly formed criticism and some people just act as if I’m the biggest supporter of the ‘offending’ idea ever. I'm just trying to not completely discount it.

8. Do you notice symbols in the world, do you ever try and wrap the symbol back to an idea that you believe?]
A: Um. hmm... I don’t know. That scratch on my wall sort of looks like the picture of ATP synthase in my biology book from last year… But it’s not… It’s a scratch. I don’t really know what you’re asking…
I do like to try and make ideas fit themes, or at least, I see the way that many different ideas can relate back to one another idea. I dunno if that’s what you were getting at…?
Or is this a spiritual question? Huh. If it is, just lemme know and I can answer it better for you then.

9. Are you hurt by criticisms? Do you get personally offended when people try and criticize you? or are you thick skinned?
A: Sometimes I notice myself getting defensive in the moment, but, when all is said and done, I like to be critiqued so that I can improve from that point on. If, y’know, the critique is valid.

10. Say for example your learning about cameras in school, would you be more inclined to go home right away and read a whole shit load on cameras so you feel confident in your knowledge of cameras? or would you feel perfectly comfortable when the teacher calls on people to come try it out, to just hop up there and start using it?
A: If I was interested and completely lacking in knowledge about the topic, I would absolutely read up on it. A shitload, as you say. Maybe even more. :D

11. When you are out do you worry about how people will interpret any action you take? (sort of in a seinfeld sort of way, where they over analyze actions people make, trying to find their true motivation) Do you feel a sort of pressure from this?
A: Yeah. A bit. I don’t stress over it though. Not much I can do about it.

12. In a classroom setting do you ever find yourself helping other people out with projects or homework when you see their struggling? Do you do this to make yourself feel more comfortable?
A: I do this all the time. I love explaining things – it helps me to know that I know it and it helps the other person to learn it too. I’ve heard it said that it takes a whole different kind of knowledge about a topic to teach it to someone else than it does to just know it for yourself. I deeply desire this deeper kind of knowledge and if I can help someone else in the process, even better. :)

I do prefer studying the subjects I enjoy alone – except for the night before the test where I like to go to study groups and just make sure I have the things down well.

13. Do you find yourself ranting to your friends about how a certain something could have been done way easier? Or how someone went about doing something (anything like a project,work,etc.) was really stupid and you could have done it way better and in a more simple fashion?
A: I never call others stupid. People are put off by that attitude and, chances are, others will be better at least one thing than I am, so, if I called them stupid, what would I be by comparison?
So, I suppose I say that I’m in no place to judge them as a person - jus the efficiency or efficacy of their actions. I might rant about that, if someone is there and wants to listen. I’d probably keep it to myself though – not as if saying it would cause something to happen.

14. how does your average day go in general,
A: Wake up, push sleep button, wake up, push sleep again, wake up, wash, dress, eat, class, work in lab(on certain days) study and/or relax, maybe take a walk if it’s nice out. I see people, frequently, in between and during these things and well, sometimes I schedule specifically social things too. Not too often though.

When I relax though, I prefer to relax alone. Or with a dog - I love dogs and animals. I feel very calm with them... I like to run and take walks too. Maybe nap outside... I like my quiet mental space though at the end of a long day. I enjoy meditation and yoga – just emptying my mind feels like a release.

15. what things do you value the most,
A: The wellbeing of my family, figuring ‘it’ out whatever my ‘it’ of the moment is, the wellbeing of others, and being able to relax at the end of each day.

16. what things regularly bug you,
A: Yelling, I hate when people yell. When people don’t let you get a word in edgewise. Not understanding something – it doesn’t really happen “regularly”, but when it does, it drives me INSANE.

17. what do you value most in other people and what qualities do you find most repulsive in others,

A:
(I tried to put these groups in order of appeal/repulsion)
Value: positivity, are passionate about something, humor, intelligence, ability to relax and not stress out needlessly

-however, the people I know best and hangout with most often tend to be the stress out over everything types – my opposite. I don’t know why this is. Maybe they like that I have a cool head and I’m drawn to how exciting everything is around them. Maybe it makes me feel superior? Maybe I just like how much they care about things. I don’t know.

Repulsive: pathologically negative attitudes, give up easily, passionless, also, if they have oozing pustules all over their body. That’s never too attractive.

18. how do you evaluate people in general,
A: I don’t know. I like most people – takes a lot for me to dislike anyone personally. I don’t really evaluate them, I just hang out with them if they seem interesting enough and seem to like me well enough too.

I’m not great at really ‘seeing’ people as individuals though I can get along with them very well in general.

19. how do you arrive at your decisions,
A: By carefully considering all the options.

20. what factors are you most likely to pay attention to when deciding on things.
A: What works and what doesn’t. Then narrow it from there, if there is more than one option left.

21. Any peculiarities that you have noticed about your personality?
A: I get a charge from being the center of attention, but I get exhausted entertaining people, so I need frequent me time too. Me time can be relaxing or studying.
People seem to like being around me – I suppose they see me as friendly and amusing.

I also love being complemented on my intelligence – it’s a point of pride for me, though I don’t like flaunting it obnoxiously. I Do love being the one who knows what she is talking about. That’s an awesome feeling, for sure. :D

I have lots and lots of acquaintances but feel close to very few of them. I feel close to my sisters and my immediate family most of the time but that’s it. I sometimes wish I could have deeper bonds with more people, but eh. I don’t know if I know how.

I don’t really understand myself that well, and when I try, I just get confused. I guess that’s why I’m looking into this personality type bullshit. … No offense. :)

22. Anything that makes you stand out from other people that you know?
A: I am more private than most, in a weird way. Maybe just more hidden behind my actions… I mean, when I talk, its almost stream of consciousness-like; people like it when you’re an open, funny person and well, that’s the impression I strive to give off.
I also enjoy being this way. It feels good to smile and make others smile.
But I feel that very few people know that much about me – meaning the way I approach things. They know what I’m like… but not really how I work. I don’t know if that makes sense.

23. What do you yourself think are your strengths and weaknesses?
A: Strengths: I’m optimistic, driven, smart, self-motivated, excitable and have a sharp wit.
Weaknesses: hm. I’m not very driven to get things done that I do not enjoy. I enjoy many things, but, being self-motivated, if I don’t really have an interest in something, I tend to see it as a waste of time; a diversion from more important things.
Also, I don’t really get myself sometimes so I don’t always know how I’m feeling or how I want to feel. Don’t really know what I want from others so I don’t know what to ask for from them or what to give them in order to receive the treatment I desire.

So, folks. What do y'all think? :mellow:
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm still learning this, but ESTJ seems to me to be a reasonable conclusion. You seem to be more interested in detail and facts, than in patterns and connections, so S rather than N. And J, as you stated. T more than F. I'm not so sure about I or E, but I'll go with your preferred E as a starting assumption, though i feel it could be I. If so, probably ISTJ.

How do you relate to the ESTJ and ISTJ descriptions? Also, if interested, you could check out ENFP Wiki and see how you relate to the different cognitive functions described there.

And as always, I hope more people fill in on this... :happy:

Reactions: ButImNot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and wiki link. :)
Just as an FYI note, I used to be very, very introverted as a kid. I sat alone and worked at puzzles for hours, just working. I've always liked being alone and, growing up, this worried my mom a lot. I remember being bribed with m&ms as a reward for greeting the principal with a smiling "good morning"; my old principal pretty much thought I was a sociopath. :crazy: I did not naturally know how to interact with people so I had to gradually learn and figure out how to interact with them. I'm better-ish now, even though I occasionally hit social-roadblocks and get confused. I don't know how to respond to certain situations - Like when people are upset, or excited or any other very strong emotion. I just don't know what to say... And hugs. I still don't get them - I tense up and feel uneasy - I try to not be too obvious, but I still feel uncomfortable.
I try not to let others see my uneasiness and I think I do manage to hide it for the most part, but I do feel it still. Just, I don't show it. I could describe it as sort of an invisible struggle now.

Even though I feel unsure still sometimes when I deal with other people, now I just do it. I'm done being meek - it was so isolating.
Now I always approach people for conversations. If I have a question during class, I know I have every right to ask it and, gosh darn it, I will. In the last 5 or 6 years, I think I've really found my self-confidence and figured out how to deal with other people a bit better. I have lots of acquaintances, like I said, and I do love to explain things to people; I get very excited about the topics that I love and I greatly enjoy sharing my passion for these things with others.
It's much more fun to be outspoken and to be admired by others than it was sitting on the playground swings by myself and eating lunch silently. :D
I do think that I'm happier now, more connected. But I feel like I might be a different personality type now... can people change like that?
But at the same time... I don't think I'm that different from the way I was in the past... I just know how to interact with people now, so I can and I do. But I still enjoy being alone - take today for example:
I talked to 2 people total today - during the 20 minutes that I ate breakfast. Then I headed back to my dorm room, and I studied physics for (literally) 6 hours straight, without taking a break to eat or stand or do anything until I was finished. I covered 4 chapters and I know them well now. Then I did yoga for a half hour to stretch and relax, then showered. After I showered, I found my mirror shattered in the middle of my room (it had fallen) so I picked up the glass, vacuumed the ground and, since I was already cleaning, I did my laundry and cleaned/reorganized my room too (I never get around to doing these things, it was about time! Hadn't washed my clothes for a month and a half. :crazy:). Finally, I ate around 10pm. Aaaaand, now I'm here. :)

Though more laid back than most of my days, I think it was a good day, and I wouldn't change anything about it. Well, that's a lie, actually. I'd change the shattered glass clean up part and I'd also be studying for genetics or O. chem instead of physics. I hate physics. But those weren't that big a deal. Still a nice, relaxing day. :)
I feel recharged and ready for the busy day I have planned tomorrow - study and lunch with my sis and a later physics study group meet. Dealing with people still drains me sometimes, but I do enjoy them most of the time - they're worth the energy suck. hahaha.

~~

I feel like, after reading up a little on the type descriptions a little more, I relate quite a bit with the INTJ type, in most ways. Definitely when I was younger. But the one big difference I see in me now is that I DO like hanging out people even though they tend to make me a little stressed and confused. I'm pretty generally friendly too, I smile a lot. I didn't see that under INTJ.

ENTJ sounds like all of the people I've ever admired or strived to be like. I think I could possibly be an INTJ that is striving to be an ENTJ... if it works like that. :p

ISTJ - Not so sure.... I do relate with the driven part. But I live like a slob most of the time and I don't consider myself to be very affectionate... I'm also pretty loud. And my sense of humor tends towards irreverent. haha Maybe ESTJ. I don't know... When I'm learning a new topic, I generally do like to know how and why something is the way it is. That's why I'm into science. I love explaining things - I want to do research when I get older. Or perhaps field research, go to the rain forest or something. (How exciting that would be! :D) Anyway, I think I have a hard time simply accepting facts as they are - I like to connect them back to other ideas and then try to justify the fact using the ideas that I already know. Not sure if this is counter to or still indicative of S or what...

Sorry for my ranting! I'll try to shut up now. I appreciate any insight. I am curious about this. :tongue:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
You started of this questionnaire as an ENTJ then the rest of the way you sounded like an ENTP actually. ENTJs have Te, extraverted thinking, as dominant and ENTPs have Ne, extraverted intuition, as dominant. Read about Te and Ne here and see which one you can relate to the most:
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
comparison of Jung's 8 types
Function Attitude

Also read these profiles and see which one fits you, especially top 2 functions (don't have to read the entire thing) - disregard the different names just see which content you can relate to the most:
ENTJ - http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Logical_Intuitive_Extratim
ENTP - http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Intuitive_Logical_Extratim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You started of this questionnaire as an ENTJ then the rest of the way you sounded like an ENTP actually. ENTJs have Te, extraverted thinking, as dominant and ENTPs have Ne, extraverted intuition, as dominant. Read about Te and Ne here and see which one you can relate to the most:

Also read these profiles and see which one fits you, especially top 2 functions (don't have to read the entire thing) - disregard the different names just see which content you can relate to the most:
ENTJ -
ENTP -
Oh dude, woah... I always score very high on the Judging part of the tests I've taken.... But it's so odd. Because I've checked out your links (and the ENTP forum) and I totally relate to it tonss.
I'm always clowning, I'm a ridiculous person. I always get weird looks in classes because of the eccentric and casual (but correct) way I explain complex things. I make people laugh by making jokes about whatever the hell is nearby. Especially silly smart/dumb nerdy jokes; I fucking love those. I've also been told that I remind people of a female Bill Nye the science guy which I think is awesome and hilarious.

When I'm studying or working though, I'm very serious and very focused. I can work on one thing for hours and hours until I get it right. And I do love being in charge of things. Like in group discussions, I like to play a very large role. I like to get my voice out and I vocally urge others to do the same.

The only things that were really bugging me about the INTJ and ENTJ were, respectively, the coldness of the INTJ - I think I'm a pretty warm person these days, though very logical and intelligent too - and then the pompous intellectual douche-bagginess of the ENTJ - that would get old fast; I couldn't live with myself. I mean, I sometimes get tempted to be like that, but I never feel good after gloating. :dry:

I derive a lot of joy from making others smile and also from interpreting a complex concept or resolving a problem well - I'm glad that there is some type that accounts for my goofball nature and my passion for learning. :D

I definitely relate to ENTP more, in social situations definitely. For sure socially. For sure. In fact, I can't imagine something else that would suit me more. That's insane. haha. Thanks so much! But I wonder why the tests never showed me this... Huh.

EDIT: One thing though... I do have issues expressing the way I feel about things. Like, emotions and shit. The real, deeper ones. Not just the surface ones I openly put out for everyone to see. That's one of the main reasons I thought I was probably INTJ. I don't know if that fits in with ENTP... I feel like its kind of something about me that's 'off' from the rest. I dunno.

Also, just for the hell of it, I took the voodoo star-wing thing with the 8 types and I got either a 3w4 or a 4w3. Just, y'know, thought I'd randomly share. :D

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
The test isn't very accurate because like you said you came here because you wanted to understand yourself more. But how can you answer the test accurately if you don't understand yourself? You might answer it as you want to be seen or as you want to be like, not as you truly are, and thus get inaccurate result. This is why reading about functions is better for typing.

ENTPs generally sense their 'weird goofiness', but they are minority in population (about 4% among men, 2% in women) so such display is at times met with blank stares or even reproaches, and then they try to conform and be more serious, steadfast, and orderly and less funny and spontaneous. This is what I felt from your profile that at beginning you wanted to be like a non-nonsense logical orderly type but it didn't quite come out like it.

There was also a lot of Fe, extraverted feeling, in your post - that's the part where you want to make other people to feel good. Why you have trouble expressing feelings is because like for all T-types like INTJs and ENTJs and INTPs the logical function is dominant over feelings one, and it gets repulsed or scared by feelings, as logic and feelings are opposite attitudes. Logic tells you feelings are a no-no, so all logical (T) subtypes struggle with feelings. Also as ENTP you will have basically no introverted feeling (function #4 in that profile I liked, called introverted ethics). Your feelings are extraverted, aimed at environment, activated by environment, by other people interacting with you. When you're alone, you will mostly feel introverted logic kick in, you will think instead of feel, you will become colder. This is great for solving math problems or writing computer programs but sucks if you want to write a love letter to your significant other expressing your emotions because you suddenly find you have no emotions only thoughts. Your expression of feeling actually happens when you are interacting with people and making others feel better, that is your feelings in action.

ENTPs are TiFe types meaning they tend to judge others on moral factor and themselves critically.
ENTJs are TeFi types meaning they tend to judge others critically and themselves on moral factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts