Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm an ENFP, and one of my parents is an ENTJ. What has your experience been like with having ENFP and other NF children?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can't answer your question, but it IS a very interesting one!

I have an IXTJ father (borderline S/N) - very strongly "T" - and he certainly has managed to inadvertendly crush my spirit on occassion. On the other hand, he has challenged and "pushed" me intellectually and professionally, and despite, hating it at times, I am grateful to him for that, as it has expanded my sphere of and ability to influence.

I'm curious to hear your experience, but maybe you want to wait until you have some answers from ENTJs...? :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have an IXTJ father (borderline S/N) - very strongly "T" - and he certainly has managed to inadvertendly crush my spirit on occassion. On the other hand, he has challenged and "pushed" me intellectually and professionally, and despite, hating it at times, I am grateful to him for that, as it has expanded my sphere of and ability to influence.

I'm curious to hear your experience, but maybe you want to wait until you have some answers from ENTJs...? :)
Yes, I'm going to wait and see if any ENTJ's will answer :) But thank you for your response!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My mother was an ENFP. That experience was partly the reason why I intend never to have children myself. Oh, and her mother (my grandmother, who I resemble in outlook, mindset and face) was an ENTJ.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mother was an ENFP. That experience was partly the reason why I intend never to have children myself. Oh, and her mother (my grandmother, who I resemble in outlook, mindset and face) was an ENTJ.
So you had problems with your ENFP mother?

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Hello!

I'm an ENFP, and one of my parents is an ENTJ. What has your experience been like with having ENFP and other NF children?
You may not be getting responses because the question is so narrow.

There's not a lot of us ENTJs who regularly post here, most of us don't have children (my impression), and those who do may not have ENFP (or other NF) children.

Is there a specific problem you are having with your ENTJ parent about which as ENTJs we may be able to give you some insight?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may not be getting responses because the question is so narrow.

There's not a lot of us ENTJs who regularly post here, most of us don't have children (my impression), and those who do may not have ENFP (or other NF) children.

Is there a specific problem you are having with your ENTJ parent about which as ENTJs we may be able to give you some insight?
No, I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been with having ENTJ parents/NF kids :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I know I'm late at posting to this thread, but I have just found this site and have just tested my 12 year old son who is an ENP Myers-Briggs type. They don't do the 4th letter because they feel it is still under development at this age. I am an ENTJ mom. I find that we are both outgoing, have good humor and like attention. We are both argumentative, but my son is very tender and feeling compared to me. He is hurt easily but can also hurt others easily. He definitely is not as Type A as I am, but I attribute that to his P. Out of my 3 children, he is my challenge. The other 2 are sensors I am certain. I think we clash because we are more similar..so his differences bother me because I expect him to be more like me. Our biggest struggle is emotional. He uses emotions to argue where I resort to logic. Those two rarely ever meet in the middle. I have hoped that the emotional part is strictly due to his young age, but I could conceivably be wrong..but I doubt it. :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have an xnfp girlfriend. She's kinda like my child. Does that count? :laughing:

Reactions: Katie Tran

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm an ENFP and my father is an ENTJ. We have a great relationship, while I can be very emotionally reactive,I think he's created some intricate logarithm or system for being accepting of my emotions, and even in helping me calm down and focus. From my perspective he is incredibly patient, Confident and often stoic. I've always admired this these traits in him!

Oh and I have definitely adopted his thirst for knowledge, we often spend hours debating many diverse topics, from the merits of organized religion to the environmental motivations of people we encounter... I must admit he's usually far more informed than me but with him I will admit defeat because he has never been one to gloat.

As someone who is easily distracted and often abstract I admire the ENTJ's focus and linear logic! It's a fun challenge on so many levels to converse with them! I think my father appreciates the challenge of trying to understand subjects that I am more knowledgeable than him on. The exchange of ideas is kind of our bonding activity.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it a logarithm or algorithm? If it's a logarithm, I want to know how it works.
....hahaha you caught me... :confused: I just had to look that up, and Algorithm would have been the correct descriptor. I can tell you the stages of Kholberg's moral development from memory (post conventional is the bees knees of moral living) and how how they can impact an individual's behavior but after years of math classes I apparently still didn't know what a logarithm was (still a little fuzzy on it). However I shall ask him about this and see if maybe he does have some complex mathematical function of defining, and minimizing my emotional reactions to apply a quick solution to them.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
....hahaha you caught me... :confused: I just had to look that up, and Algorithm would have been the correct descriptor. I can tell you the stages of Kholberg's moral development from memory (post conventional is the bees knees of moral living) and how how they can impact an individual's behavior but after years of math classes I apparently still didn't know what a logarithm was (still a little fuzzy on it). However I shall ask him about this and see if maybe he does have some complex mathematical function of defining, and minimizing my emotional reactions to apply a quick solution to them.
They teach it incorrectly in school.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have an ENTJ father and we don't get along. at all. that's the least I can say. I was going to write "sometimes I want to kill him and vice-versa".

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think my father is ENTJ (the bloody lists) and I'm probably very much ENFP and the relationship seems a bit like ZoSo04iv describes rather well. Then again: we are *ALL* ENFP, ENTJ, etc. so who can tell. Anyway socionics says ENTJ>ENFP benefaciary relationship... maybe thats why, lol. My dad bailed me out many times but I guess that counts for more people regardless of type ;)

·
Mafia Goddess
3,899 Posts

I'm an ENFP and my father is an ENTJ. We have a great relationship, while I can be very emotionally reactive,I think he's created some intricate logarithm or system for being accepting of my emotions, and even in helping me calm down and focus. From my perspective he is incredibly patient, Confident and often stoic. I've always admired this these traits in him!

Oh and I have definitely adopted his thirst for knowledge, we often spend hours debating many diverse topics, from the merits of organized religion to the environmental motivations of people we encounter... I must admit he's usually far more informed than me but with him I will admit defeat because he has never been one to gloat.

As someone who is easily distracted and often abstract I admire the ENTJ's focus and linear logic! It's a fun challenge on so many levels to converse with them! I think my father appreciates the challenge of trying to understand subjects that I am more knowledgeable than him on. The exchange of ideas is kind of our bonding activity.
I know I'm years late to the party, but these two posts pretty much sum up my experience with my ENTJ dad. He was my greatest teacher and my greatest adversary all at the same time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've had an ENTJ grandmum. She taught me to play cards (for money and to win), have a sense of humor, never let anyone to tell me I am not good enough and to always respect myself. She also kind of showed me it's okay to stand up to her - but only if I actually have something worthwile to say - otherwise she wouldn't even bother ;) Those were probably the best life lessons I got from her.

She was a teacher and cared a lot about my education - sometimes even putting too much pressure on it. She was also good at detecting my strong sides as a child and encouraging me to develop them - I think it was the fameous ENTJs' strategic thinking applied to child's development/education.

She could have been cold-hearted, absolutely intimidating and dictatorial - but for some reason she was not so much to me. (I believe it was due to the fact that I got some additional points in her books as a good card player! :D)

She's also been on the watch out for (rational) justice.

We didn't have enough time to have all those amazing N-discussions etc., but she was the strongest authority in my family as far as I remember (although my other ESTJ grandmum was doing quite good in this department as well :D).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts