Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic is about as fun as a punch to your Achilles' tendon, but I have to ask.

What are your thoughts on being a part of that decision with an ENTJ female or completely backing off of it and watching the sadness play out?

What do you think I should do? What would you do?

Poor kitty can barely walk. I love her, and so does my girl, but I can't bring myself to tell her that the end might be near.

How do the J's of our ENT world deal with this shit?

·
Registered
811 Posts
If it's suffering a lot, you might need to put it down. Some people/animals are worthy crying for. I don't cry in front of people, but anger and explosion usually come out when I'm sad. Then in the quietness of my bedroom, I accept the fact I'm human and let a few tears drop. Just feel the pain. My dogs are precious to me. I taught them tricks, played with them, talked to them, and loved having them greet me at the door. If anything happens to them... I'll be devastated.

·
Banned
679 Posts
I'm not a woman, but loss of a pet is one of the two things that can make me emotional.
If she is not too emotional to be reasoned with, I'm sure it can be explained there is nothing natural about a "natural" death. I've lost pets both ways, and falling asleep silently amongst loved ones will be both a better end and a better memory than the alternative of either watching her go in terror and pain in the final moments, or simply the shock of finding her already gone.
If she's still got some fight in her, let her fight. But if she's already on the way out, I condone making it as painless as possible.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
The pet is dependent upon you to make the right choice. You have to realize that it's not about what you want or what any other involved human wants - it's not about how difficult it is for the humans to get through it - it's about what's the right choice for the comfort of the pet.

As @Duo said, rely on the objective diagnosis the vet provides, and make the correct decision to end the animal's life in the most humane and painless way possible.

Then go cry your eyes out because it's like a knife in your heart to lose a beloved pet.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It reminds me of those parents who kept their kid alive despite his suffering just because they didn't want to let him go. At some point, your desire to keep your pet alive has to be outweighed by their suffering, and the probability of their desire to stop suffering. But it does suck, so I'd say the best you can do is talk to her about it rationally. Approach it like you would any important topic - with the gravity it deserves, and with a long, thoughtful conversation. Set aside time for it, ask her if you can talk about it. Don't be surprised if she gets angry or upset - that's quite likely. Then offer support while she grieves (which may happen before or after the passing).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts