Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me start by saying I'm an ENTJ. Discovering my type has been a real epiphany, as it has explained the endless frustrations I've had with other careers over the years (account management, administrative assistant and teacher are just a few). I currently run a small business with my husband, but we are wanting to make a change and I've always had an interest in law so I have been contemplating going to law school. However, I'm wary of jumping into such a pricey endeavor without experiencing the day to day of an attorney first hand. Since I do enjoy research and i would need to save for a couple of years for school anyway, I'm considering doing paralegal work. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to doing this type of job as an ENTJ, and if it would be a potentially good experience to peek into the law profession this way, or if it is not a fit with my temperament.

I should clarify that I am still deliberating whether to go this path, to find something in the corporate world or to venture out on my own with a different business. It's great to bounce this stuff off of other ENTJ's though, since I know absolutely none in my real life. Any thoughts or help are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I could imagine it is a lot of repetitive work with a lot of details. Two of the things I do not like, not good at. I would consider those within your decision.

Also, why not become a intern for a short period of time, instead becoming a paralegal?

Reactions: Champagne Wishes

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well it seems this would be a step in the right direction and a stepping stone to your ultimate goal. I wouldn't worry to much about whether or not the stepping stone phase of your plan sits well with your preferences. That's par for the course. It's law. A lot of minutia, detailed arbitrary logistics and paper work paper work paper work as is. There is probably going to be a lot stuff that you find doesn't suit your tastes for quite some time.

I would just do it if you know the end result ultimately suits you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could imagine it is a lot of repetitive work with a lot of details. Two of the things I do not like, not good at. I would consider those within your decision.

Also, why not become a intern for a short period of time, instead becoming a paralegal?
Good thought. Internship had not crossed my mind yet. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it seems this would be a step in the right direction and a stepping stone to your ultimate goal. I wouldn't worry to much about whether or not the stepping stone phase of your plan sits well with your preferences. That's par for the course. It's law. A lot of minutia, detailed arbitrary logistics and paper work paper work paper work as is. There is probably going to be a lot stuff that you find doesn't suit your tastes for quite some time.

I would just do it if you know the end result ultimately suits you.
I think that is a good way to look at it. I know I can stand on my head for a long time if it means getting to where I want to be.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
make sure that whatever law you choose has good job prospects-this has been a recent problem.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I'm an attorney. I run my own practice.

The legal field encompasses so much.

If you're in criminal defense then most likely the bulk of your day is spent in the courtroom advocating on behalf of your clients to a judge or jury or negotiating with a prosecutor for a plea.

If you're a transactional attorney then you will spend your day combing over contracts.

If you're in family law then you'll spend most of your days in the role of a therapist.

Then you get to the real specialized fields like IP law.

Or you're a plaintiff's attorney, perhaps dealing in medmal cases, corresponding and negotiating with insurance companies, fronting a lot of money on medical experts and other expenses.

Also, odds are you'll not be able to get a legal internship if you are not in law school. The market is over-saturated as it is and the competition for quality internships is intense. If you want to work in BigLaw then you'll definitely have to go to law school to become a summer associate and most BigLaw companies only take a very limited amount of students.

If you know you're not going to be a lawyer in a few years then I would spend those few years working in the business world doing the corporate thing like you said or go ahead and start your company. I would hedge your bets, and while being a paralegal for a few years will get you familiar with some aspects of law, I personally believe that being successful and showing leadership qualities in another field will be just as good. I went from the business world to law school with no prior knowledge of the legal field. It's all about how you market yourself. Plus being a paralegal will be tedious and repetitive. I'm telling you straight up: you will be a lawyer's bitch. Paralegals are very essential to the field of law, without a doubt, but all the monotonous work gets pawned to them. If you could handle this then go ahead.

Here's my suggestion: go into business for a few years. During these few years build up relationships and solidify a solid network base of attorneys you be sure to keep in contact with so by the time you go to law school you will have people who can potentially offer you internships or employment opportunities. Volunteer at legal organizations that have a public advocacy bent to them. You'll make great connections and law firms/lawyers love seeing this on the resume. Most important is talking with other attorneys though. Get a feel for how your region's legal market is. The best way to do this is talking with those who practice where you live.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@downsowf, you just confirmed all the reservations I had about paralegal work. Truth be told, my well-meaning parents suggested it as a way to get a feel for the legal field, but it sounded like a lot of repetitive detail oriented tasks. I like research and I think that's what they based their suggestion on. I'll be looking further into other options for now. And I actually do have a friend from college who is an attorney, so if/when I've decided to reveal that ambition, I'll be sure to take him to lunch a few times to pick his brain and also find other attorneys to network with. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
@downsowf, you just confirmed all the reservations I had about paralegal work. Truth be told, my well-meaning parents suggested it as a way to get a feel for the legal field, but it sounded like a lot of repetitive detail oriented tasks. I like research and I think that's what they based their suggestion on. I'll be looking further into other options for now. And I actually do have a friend from college who is an attorney, so if/when I've decided to reveal that ambition, I'll be sure to take him to lunch a few times to pick his brain and also find other attorneys to network with. Thanks for the help!
Well good luck! You could always just take the LSAT, see how you do, and then go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.