Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if its an ENTJ thing or just me. Are you a professional BSer? Not just your typical BS, but do you have an ability to know nothing about something, apply some sort of logic with stuff you already know, and BS very convincingly to people who think you actually know what you are talking about (and there is a good chance you might be right). I don't have an internal censor that has to give a disclaimer before I say something I don't know what I'm talking about, so I just spout off my assumptions with charisma.

For example, someone once commented to me that they get poor cell phone reception in their office. I said it probably has to do with their proximity to the elevator which has magnets and metal on metal friction which messes with the radio waves. I have no idea if this is the case at all... or even if there are magnets in those elevators... but I said it so convincingly that they probably took my assumption as fact.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Way too often, usually all the time to be honest. However, it's a bad trait in situations like work and school. Cause if the information is wrong, it usually doesn't work out well for the people that take it for a fact and in turn they go back and accuse you for it.

I'm trying to limit myself nowadays, but it is still hard :proud:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I rather have conversations based on the truth. Even about opinions. Share what you TRULY believe with me. I want that, and I want to share that with people. There's too much to learn in this world to base your conversations on nonsense.

I don't like to be malicious towards people, or even lie if I can help it. I have a solid core of principles. Golden Rule. I wouldn't like it if someone told me a bunch of BS like that.

Basically, if you don't know what you're talking about, I don't need or want your input. I'll reciprocate the favour more times than not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess it depends on the person if and also the topic i will BS them.When i do BS i do it based off logic and experinces i have had. one time i had to do some public speaking for a class and i had forgoten all about it until the teacher came up to me on the day and said he was looking foward to what i was going to talk about. He knew i was BS of course but i think i fooled the other studdents pertty well. How is it teachers always know when your BSing?:confused:

as for the whole elevator thing. elevators dont have magnets but i can see how the metal in an elveator will gain a magnetic charge. its like rubbing a paper clip across your jeans to make a compass. morely however is the dense consentration of metal used in the elveator that will jam the signal.

Reactions: Eye of the Potato

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
That's really more Extroverted Intuition than Introverted Intuition.. or exhorter strategy.

I'm not sure I'd call it "BS'ing" if you've found the center and use logic to expound from it. It's much more educated than the Ne BS'ing.. and much more like xNTJs (Te Ni)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I really, really, really don't like bullshit. Bullshitters are worse than liars. A liar at least cares about truth, for he needs to know it in order to tell falsehoods. A bullshitter cares not whether his statements are true or false, but whether they suit his purpose. Weed bullshitters out of your organization; better to have honest, conflicting feedback than a bunch of yes-men.

That said, I'm able to sex up an idea if required, to put things in the best possible light, to make a persuasive, convincing case. This might matter in a sales context, for instance. But as far as life goes, I'd rather stick with reason and reality, the ultimate weapon and the ultimate ally. Too much bullshit in life is like clutter and can get really taxing after a while. Since my immediate instinct always is to eradicate bullshit, bullshitting goes against the grain of my personality.

·
Registered
81 Posts
is there a difference between bullshiting and making what u beleave to be a logical guess

·
Registered
80 Posts
is there a difference between bullshiting and making what u beleave to be a logical guess
That's a really good question. While logic usually is right you have no guarantee. I can for instance say that all evidences points towards a person in crime. If I can't prove it with concrete evidences that exactly says that this person did this it will count for nothing.

Most things are logical and thats why it also is so convincing, however, everything is not. Most people "bullshit" in order to help with a logical claim, but that is no guarantee for it being right and may often mislead people into taking in a "false truth". The problem with this is that you gain a reputation on a false premise, and people with more experience may easily reject the logical claims you made. Thus you don't prove anything, you just make a short term solution that won't work in the long run.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh this skill comes in very handy when working with children. I have become a master BS-er when it comes to children. When it comes to adults...I just try to use big words in the right order.Every now and then I can pull off a miracle and total BS a teacher, I am now known for it ;)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's really more Extroverted Intuition than Introverted Intuition.. or exhorter strategy.

I'm not sure I'd call it "BS'ing" if you've found the center and use logic to expound from it. It's much more educated than the Ne BS'ing.. and much more like xNTJs (Te Ni)
I agree, thus the disclaimer "not your typical BS." I think a more accurate term would be conjecture. I think the few that disagreed may have misunderstood my post. BS is more "I don't know what I'm talking about" kind of language where the BS I'm talking about is fully relying on a well developed intuition to just know things, and being extroverted, to share those thoughts with the world.

The ability to take knowledge (sometimes from multiple sources) and apply it to a new topic is one of the most defining traits of xNTx... in fact, that's the very definition of intuition. If you discourage this behavior out of an organization, how do you predict markets, anticipate competition, innovate ANYTHING, or even answer questions that you don't have complete mastery over? I don't know what kind of organization would rely more on S behavior than N (armed forces, ones that rely on tradition than adapting to market conditions?), but I think the 6th sense that N types is one of the more important assets to a company.

To further explain my example of BS, I have an education in IT and dabbled in network engineering for a while. Magnetic fields, which can be given off by magnets or metal on metal friction, causes interference for radio waves. Its the reason you will never see cable lines being run next to railroad tracks - because it ruins the signal. Are those waves powerful enough to mess with my coworker's cell phone reception? Possibly. It most definitely is a rational explanation. I didn't lie to him. I said probably. Its his own fault if he takes everything he hears as fact and doesn't research it for himself.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Just curious if its an ENTJ thing or just me. Are you a professional BSer? Not just your typical BS, but do you have an ability to know nothing about something, apply some sort of logic with stuff you already know, and BS very convincingly to people who think you actually know what you are talking about (and there is a good chance you might be right). I don't have an internal censor that has to give a disclaimer before I say something I don't know what I'm talking about, so I just spout off my assumptions with charisma.

For example, someone once commented to me that they get poor cell phone reception in their office. I said it probably has to do with their proximity to the elevator which has magnets and metal on metal friction which messes with the radio waves. I have no idea if this is the case at all... or even if there are magnets in those elevators... but I said it so convincingly that they probably took my assumption as fact.
I'm extremely good at BSing. I can make people believe the craziest stuff like that I'm asleep when in all reality, I'm awake.Just put on a good, convincing act and then know when to cut the BS if you're caught. You just need to know the person you're BSing if you want to fool them. SJs and easily trusting NFs are easily tricked, but SPs as well as NTs are a bit more difficult. SPs can be quite the tricksters, so they could know the tricks of the trade. Oh man, I want to take acting classes so bad to see what I can really do! :proud:

However, I've seen that if you want to BS an NT or a hardass NF, you'd better think twice about doing so or just scrap the idea of doing so. These people can read right through your act.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
What does the bible have to do with you? NOTHING! Be freaking objective!
I think he's a non-Christian who's saying that the Bible is full of BS - and that it didn't sway him, unlike 80% of America. More of a joke/dig than anything. :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
hey we have a thread for religion

BS is easy to preform all you have to do is to play on the stupiedity of others and just sound like you know what your talking about.

·
Registered
232 Posts
hey we have a thread for religion (all religion is a load of BS if u ask me)

BS is easy to preform all you have to do is to play on the stupiedity of others and just sound like you know what your talking about.
This is crossing the line. There were plenty of ENTJ posters who said they believe in religion who I think are fairly intelligent. Please, keep your brilliance to yourself - the last thing we need is people being ashamed of posting their beliefs on the forum because YOU think their beliefs are BS.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.