Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your gift-giving style? Also, what kinds of gifts do you like to receive, and how do you tend to react to a gift that you like versus one that you dislike?

I am doing this for all the types...eventually...

Anyway, I have a few thoughts on the ENTJ based on functions, but I am interested in feedback from actual ENTJs. Please add your own thoughts along the way, as my description is certainly not meant to be definitive.

ENTJs are practical givers. They enjoy giving gifts that will help the recipient to be more organized, work more efficiently, or otherwise just make their life a little easier. The ENTJ will notice if his gift is not being put to good use, and will take the opportunity to remind the recipient, quite pointedly, of the gift's usefulness.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What is your gift-giving style? Also, what kinds of gifts do you like to receive, and how do you tend to react to a gift that you like versus one that you dislike?

I am doing this for all the types...eventually...

Anyway, I have a few thoughts on the ENTJ based on functions, but I am interested in feedback from actual ENTJs. Please add your own thoughts along the way, as my description is certainly not meant to be definitive.

ENTJs are practical givers. They enjoy giving gifts that will help the recipient to be more organized, work more efficiently, or otherwise just make their life a little easier. The ENTJ will notice if his gift is not being put to good use, and will take the opportunity to remind the recipient, quite pointedly, of the gift's usefulness.
The last part sort of sums up what we like to receive too... I like gifts with utility which can range from a bottle of my favorite liquor on my birthday because I like to have some drinks on that occasion OR a nice new pair of headphones (gotta have the good sound quality haha ) to use during my cardio workouts. It isn't that I don't appreciate the gesture of a gift without utility, it's just that I find myself appreciating the gesture of having a gift given to me (which I truly do, even though I don't really feel the need to be given anything) more than the actual gift itself... why not have both? haha

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I guess if you think in terms of cognitive functions this would make sense. But I don't fall under that definition of gift giving. When I give a gift it's aimed more towards meaning than practicality.

Oh, and I don't like receiving gifts.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
When it comes to gift giving, I gear it towards their desires, and not my temperament. After all its not about me, its about them. If one of their passions is collecting beanie babies, then I will get them beanie babies.

As far as receiving gifts are concerned, its the same idea. Something geared towards my desires, a Starbucks gift card, or a book.

·
Registered
675 Posts
What is your gift-giving style?
I go for originality, something that keeps the receiver off balance. And if I must give something ordinary, there's a lot of room for creativity in how the gift can be given. I've been known to wrap expensive gifts in aluminum foil, toilet paper, news paper etc, put a tiny gift in a really huge box, stack boxes within boxes, etc. etc.
Also, what kinds of gifts do you like to receive, and how do you tend to react to a gift that you like versus one that you dislike?
We probably can't reduce this to formula, though the gifts that can't be explained by formula are usually the best ones. Good gifts receive a smile or a laugh, while bad gifts lead to the giver being teased. "Wow, a sweater. This is the best Christmas gift ever! How did you find it?"

·
Registered
648 Posts
Gifts I give: Ones that implement an inside joke or something I know the person has mentioned they wanted earlier but still havent gotten.

Gifts I like to receive: Anything that implements something I like. For example, a friend of mine, who knows very little about science but knows I love reading about it, got me a book that she researched to line up with what I want to get my degree in (Theory). She bought me two books by two professors I have showed her videos on, and it was extremely thoughtful, not to mention that she actually took the time to look it up, even though I know she has literally no interest in the topic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well I just made my ENTJ housemate a cake for his birthday - mocha chocolate with meringue layers and icing and chocolate triangles and chocolate coated brazil nuts on the top - he just kept shouting "wow!" in a silly voice with a big grin on his face! :crazy: ...so that might help with the gift reactions. :laughing:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like to give people something they would enjoy, useful to them, or just sentimental. I gave my spouse a book i made with different quotes about love. Not particularly useful, but he is more sentimental so i play to what he likes. I may notice if a gift isnt being used, but if it isnt i typically wont say anything. I have something my husband gave me, its a chainmail (sp?) heart he made for me when we were dating. In spite of it not really making my life better, it means something to me. Im a practical giver if the recipient is someone who would enjoy gifts that would help them stay organized.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually he isn't, which is weird, if i remember right he is an ISTP/INTP depending on the day :p But he is very sentimental, he didn't want me to sell my wedding dress, and was very upset when the wedding glasses broke.
How interesting. It's not that I don't think other types are sentimental. I just thought NF's were more into the making presents thing. well, once again mbti isn't infallible in the face of individuals!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
My wife made it easy for me... she gave me a great explanation of what kind of gift to give her:

"Buy me something I want, that I wouldn't normally buy for myself."

So all year long I listen to things she complains about or says she wants, and I typically buy that at present buying time.

I personally don't like presents. I buy everything I want. My wife is pretty good at it though: she'll buy me a coat, gloves, watch... and one year I got a paper shredder and a filing cabinet hahahaha.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I just made my ENTJ housemate a cake for his birthday - mocha chocolate with meringue layers and icing and chocolate triangles and chocolate coated brazil nuts on the top - he just kept shouting "wow!" in a silly voice with a big grin on his face! :crazy: ...so that might help with the gift reactions. :laughing:
wow that must have been a great cake. some of the ENTJ's i know my self included(i think) seem almost robot like on their brithdays.

·
Registered
241 Posts
wow that must have been a great cake. some of the ENTJ's i know my self included(i think) seem almost robot like on their brithdays.
aw why? do you not like being the centre of attention? (i mean in personal rather than professional situations) reason i ask is cos once an entj said to me, "so you're shy too?" it suprised me!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well its not that i am shy personaly the persents i want other people feel are crappy gifts.
The best gifts for me are ones that i can use. So one time around christmas i wanted to crave some stautes for my friends and i asked for a 2by4 for cider wood (really nice craveing wood) i got these really wierd looks from my friends and family when i told them this. rule of thumb for buy gifts for me is buy me what i ask for or give me cash so i can buy it for myself.
again people feel cash is a bad gift and what i want for gifts are either bad gifts or just wierd and they think i am joking:sad: they always get me stuff i dont want so that is why i only enjoy present-giving holidays for being with friends and family. it would be nice if just once they got me what i asked for and not what i didnt want whcih means after the party i have to find a way to deal with there gifts.:crazy:

Reactions: angelictroublemaker

·
Registered
241 Posts
it would be nice if just once they got me what i asked for and not what i didnt want whcih means after the party i have to find a way to deal with there gifts.:crazy:
Ha ha!:laughing: I can empathise with that! I do like gifts when people get it right...but they never do! they get what society dictates they "ought to" rather than what would make me happy i.e. stuff that would make a 9 year old kid happy -> helium balloons, bubbles, candy floss :crazy:

In general, I think that money is cold and impersonal, but I can definitely understand your sentiment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
well money is a last resort. i would much rather have cash then a check and i would perfer both over a gift i did not ask for.
anyone else have the problem were you have to many friends and family and you dont want enough different gifts that they end up getting you multiples of the same thing. around gift giving holidays my mom sends a list of all the gifts i want to my friends and the rest of the family. it is normaly a short list and i a ton of friends and family.they try to cordnatite who is getting what. (always a disater waiting to happen if you ask me) last christmas i ended up getting 15 copies of the same book Ranger's Apprentice book 8 the Kings of Clonmel i have still got 3 copies left. i have been trying to give them away to people who enjoy the sirese.

What do you guys do with gifts you dont like or dont need? i dont like to return stuff because i feel that because the person got me a gift i dont need then atleast there gift should bring joy to some else without costing them a penny.:happy:

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was a kid, I would open gifts from my INTJ father. He always bought me XL T-shirts in horrible colors that I loving called my birth control clothes because they lower my reproductive success. I've always been slight and petite. I would say wonderful things like, "I understand that you don't know me, but how can you misjudge something as obvious as my size?" He hated Christmas and birthdays because he feels that obligatory gift giving is disingenuous. We now have a Secret Santa household. It's awful, but we're all a little relieved.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I keep an Amazon wishlist going so that people don't have to wonder about what to get me. Even if they don't get me something exactly off the list, it will give them ideas. Nothing is worse than getting a dollar store wire-mesh reindeer centerpiece for Christmas from your MIL and having to smile and pretend you are grateful. Socks would be better.

I like shopping on etsy.com for others because there are so many unique things. I got a bunch of people stuff for the holidays that way and it was all a big hit. There are so many niches on that site it is hard to lose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.