Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You see, I know 2 ENTJs, and they have very different views about religion. One of them is very dismissive of it and when I ask him about it, he puts a lot of emphasis on the lack of empirical evidence regarding the existence of supernatural phenomena (a Te thing I presume). The other goes to church regularly with his family but doesn't seem very passionate about it, as if it were just a social obligation, something which shouldn't be questioned.

What are your views on religion?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a twin brother who is an ENTJ while i am an INTJ. He is an atheist and i am an agnostic raised my "pseudo" Catholic family.
He is is sure that god does not exist, while i retain my open mind in such conversations.

Reactions: Nox

·
Registered
89 Posts
You see, I know 2 ENTJs, and they have very different views about religion. One of them is very dismissive of it and when I ask him about it, he puts a lot of emphasis on the lack of empirical evidence regarding the existence of supernatural phenomena (a Te thing I presume). The other goes to church regularly with his family but doesn't seem very passionate about it, as if it were just a social obligation, something which shouldn't be questioned.

ENTJ and Christian. Church to me is definitely not an obligation. I have questioned everything and found it to be truth.

·
Registered
300 Posts

I was raised Catholic and practice catholism now. In my early teens... about 12-14 I quit believing in God, and quit believing in "ever-lasting life" due to some events that had happened in my life prior. Around 15-16 I started believing in an afterlife again, and then around 18 I started believing in a God again. Right now my religious views are my own, I would never push them on anyone or say "they are absolute" orrr that anyone elses views are of less worth than mine. ie. if its an atheist or any other religion that's completely fine with me because there is a chance that they are right and I am wrong, and I openly acknowledge that I very well may be wrong.
Very objectively, I view it as 50-50, and I just happen to fall in the "I believe in God/a God and an afterlife" side of things and have no shame in saying that. Mind you, I don't ever engage in religious arguments because I see no purpose. Similar to feelings, your feelings are your problem, not mine and my feelings are my problems not yours; your views are your views, not necessarily mine, mine are mine and not necessarily yours :).

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Atheist.

Believers usually bombard me with misinformation based on their misinterpretation of their own religion, and agnostics like to think if I only had more information, I'd be agnostic.

Don't care to debate either of those options. They usually make a dog's breakfast of their arguments. Not interested in hearing it. So, thank you, but no thank you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Agnostic here. Raised in a Christian family, dad is a priest in fact. Allowed free thought. He has always said if I find Jesus one day then I will, and he'll be there to support me and answer my questions. I do wonder if my upbringing like this is what made me an ENTJ - my cognition has been developed and conditioned.

I'm open to a creator, but I really feel human language cannot define what one would be exactly. It's an unknown.

Atheism, that's a religion in itself. :laughing:

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
ITT: So many people who don't know what agnostic means.

·
Registered
870 Posts
ITT: So many people who don't know what agnostic means.
Nothing is known about a God, having doubts about God as an existence. It is not necessarily "I do not believe in a God and never will".

Creator does not have to be a God. Just like a car is not made by a God. Our one universe could be made on a similar production line.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Raised Southern Baptist; Currently Agnostic; enough said .

Reactions: maust

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Raised Mormon. Dedicated myself to the religion when I thought I had a "spiritual experience" to validate belief. When I was a 24/7 proselyter on the other side of the continent (NY to CA), I realized that my experience was caused by imagination, and became an Atheist (although I didn't "accept" it as a label until a few months later).

Agnosticism annoys me. Just like solipsism, it is an unfalsifiable hypothetical waste of time. In simplest terms, Agnosticism is often used as an excuse for intellectual laziness.

I googled them together, and found this interesting piece: Agnosticism vs Solipsism - The Centre Cannot Hold

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Atheist. People fear dying and death, so they like to imagine there's a god. I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't divide them and justify massacres and genocides. Unfortunately, religion is often an excuse to go to war for other reasons. Or to become a terrorist.

I see no reason to believe in a man sitting in the sky other than to make myself feel better. Since that's not a logical reason, I'm atheist.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Raised Mormon. Dedicated myself to the religion when I thought I had a "spiritual experience" to validate belief. When I was a 24/7 proselyter on the other side of the continent (NY to CA), I realized that my experience was caused by imagination, and became an Atheist (although I didn't "accept" it as a label until a few months later).

Agnosticism annoys me. Just like solipsism, it is an unfalsifiable hypothetical waste of time. In simplest terms, Agnosticism is often used as an excuse for intellectual laziness.

I googled them together, and found this interesting piece: Agnosticism vs Solipsism - The Centre Cannot Hold
Does religion annoy you too? It's also unfalsifiable. Or is the unfalsifiable part not as important as the 'waste of time' part?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Indifferent?

I would say I'm atheist, but I'm open to the possibilities of something outside our understanding. I don't believe in "god". But I won't rule out things I don't completely understand either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Raised indifferently to religion. Became an atheist.
I find religion to be utterly stupid and pointless. How can some people from, take an example, Christianity, believe in text from a 2000 year old book? Where is the evidence of this supreme being that is supposed to save us all? I sometimes think the world would be better devoid of religion.

For all we know for now, we exist on a tiny speck of the universe. That's it. What we do with that existence is ten times more valuable than WHY we exist.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts