Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the important values that you live your life by? Give some explanation.

Mine are as follows:

1) Authenticity: "And this above all, to thine own self be true", honesty with yourself and others, true to your very core.

2) Wisdom: "be wise as serpents, innocent as doves", above repproach, angelic, whilst being "cunning", wise to others intentions.

3) Nonviolence: Limiting harm, not dominating, destroying, dehumanising or diminishing others, norallowing yourself to be.

4) Tenderheartedness: To not be hard hearted when others suffer, but to empathise and to act to relieve them of pain, being kind. Vulnerable, a refusal to become old and cynical despite life's hardships.

5) Wonder: “I don’t know about you, but I practice a disorganized religion. I belong to an unholy disorder. We call ourselves “Our Lady of Perpetual Astonishment.” to be enchanted, wowed by humanity and the natural world, to never lose that childlikeness that sees all things as new, afresh, appreciating beauty.

6) Playfulness: “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”

·
Registered
842 Posts
1) Authenticity: "And this above all, to thine own self be true", honesty with yourself and others, true to your very core.

The first of your values is an interesting one. In this age, I believe it's extremely difficult for people to actually be honest with themselves. Most (young) people, heavily influenced by pop culture, find it much easier to fit into society rather than to fit into their own skin since there's less "stigma" attached to it.

But yes, I agree wholeheartedly with the first one (not that this is a debate or anything), and would list that as one of my own personal values.

My other values include:
-Being well-intentioned
-To seek fairness and the truth
-To be understanding
-To be willing to grow and seek self-improvement
-To want to grow intellectually
-To never back down at life.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
-Authenticity/Honor/Loytalty/Justice: I believe in doing the right thing. Maybe not traditionally the right thing, but I want to always have good/righteous intentions in my actions. I believe in staying true to myself and others that I represent. I don't have selfless loyalty... its more about asserting my own beliefs/views and rallying people behind me. This sometimes means defying the status quo to bring about change for the better.

-Adaptability/Flexibility: I always want to be able handle whatever life has to throw at me with efficiency. Like the quote from Dune, "I will bend like a reed in the wind." Its important to overcome any and all obstacles in life. This includes learning from the past and present and taking charge of the future.

-Humility: This one is weird to me. As much as I seek success and achievement and want others to notice, I also don't want to come off as stuck up or arrogant. I want to be respected and humble in my successes.

-Clarity: I don't want to be influenced. I want to know things and be able to see things for how they are. I'm afraid of corruption or being negatively influenced by emotions, greed, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1) Tolerance: If I have to tolerate people, then people should at least try and tolerate me.
2) Honesty: If you don't want the hard dirty truth, then don't ask me questions you don't really want to hear the answer to.
3) Intelligence: Not meaning "i'm smart" but more, " I at least try to think about what i'm doing or saying before i do/say it"
4) Empathy: I'm very aware of my lack of empathy, so I make the extra effort to be empathetic to people who don't follow my 1) 2) and 3)
5) If I say I'm going to do something, unless there are other circumstances preventing me, I will always do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.