Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For each personality type I would like to know What do you sturggle with the most in life? Problems you try to overcome but seem to never find that perfect solution? Please answer only in your personality type. I want to learn more about each type so I can grow as a person.

For me as an INFP, my biggest problem is extream difficulties dealing with other people. I have very intense emotions that makes life very difficult at times.

·
mafia mod
13,312 Posts
Trying to be less results orientated and more process orientated. I'm am allways in the future, thinking about the big picture and usually one step ahead of people. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but it can cause a hiccup or two.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I NEVER say the right thing (damn good at "burns" though). I mean the right thing, but it never comes out right. I have practiced in the mirror saying things to people so I wouldn't hurt their feelings or screw things up. I feel like I am hard-wired to be politically incorrect or at least socially insensitive. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Fitting in into the traditional sense of relationship. Love, feelings and all that. Because apparently I tend to give off this vibe like someone who cannot get hurt or always getting what she wants.. they don't believe that I can/ sometimes I do actually feel. Or something.

Just yesterday someone was going to give up a years-worth friendship with me because I seemed as if I didn't care. I wouldn't have invested so much time into that if I didn't. I'd just leave. Ironically I feel like I invest more into that than them (an IxTP?).

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I NEVER say the right thing (damn good at "burns" though). I mean the right thing, but it never comes out right. I have practiced in the mirror saying things to people so I wouldn't hurt their feelings or screw things up. I feel like I am hard-wired to be politically incorrect or at least socially insensitive. :unsure:
You guy's seem like you say the right thing all the time. Unless you are talking about a kind of subjective right. I suspect you mean saying how you feel?

If so, I can identify in that I have trouble saying what I think. It comes out as sloppy psychobabble and then turns into how I feel. It's great fun.

Socially insensitive people are kind of cool to socially sensitive people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hm....seems like i want to learn anything...and i want to learn and improve my relationship...which i am certain it should be a feeling....but i kept researching on this MBTI...wanna get some insight to improve on my relationship ....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fitting in into the traditional sense of relationship. Love, feelings and all that. Because apparently I tend to give off this vibe like someone who cannot get hurt or always getting what she wants.. they don't believe that I can/ sometimes I do actually feel. Or something.

Just yesterday someone was going to give up a years-worth friendship with me because I seemed as if I didn't care. I wouldn't have invested so much time into that if I didn't. I'd just leave. Ironically I feel like I invest more into that than them (an IxTP?).
Vanitas, can you be more specific about how you invest your time into a relationship/friendship?

Do you feel strongly about your friends but simply not show it? How can friends tell when you care?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
A few days ago I told a friend that if 'we' (me and an INTJ BFF) are still trying to aid/ correct/ criticize/ give opinion to them, that means we still care.
I suppose the form of 'caring' for me is more passive than active. Like a circling band or the atmosphere of a planet.

When I don't care I ignore; I would not help/ point to them when they're being self destructive or otherwise. If we drift apart, there would be no attempt to keep the relationship because it doesn't matter whether they're there or not.

This thread may help.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A few days ago I told a friend that if 'we' (me and an INTJ BFF) are still trying to aid/ correct/ criticize/ give opinion to them, that means we still care.
I suppose the form of 'caring' for me is more passive than active. Like a circling band or the atmosphere of a planet.

When I don't care I ignore; I would not help/ point to them when they're being self destructive or otherwise. If we drift apart, there would be no attempt to keep the relationship because it doesn't matter whether they're there or not.

This is wonderful data you provided. Thank you!

As an INFP if someone tries to "aid/ correct/ criticize/ give opinion" to me I have always just assumed they were being abusive to me and would cut them off. For an ENTJ that is showing care and I never knew that before. No wonder there is such conflict between INFP's and ENTJ's. Your caring is painful to us. And when we withdraw from the ENTJ to nurse those wounds, the ENTJ takes it as we don't care. Fascinating insight!

·
Registered
195 Posts

In some cases, it's hard to tell the difference between someone ignoring you and just being plain busy. :confused:

I want to take this a step further. Outwardly, you give criticisms/opinions as a form of aid. Inwardly, what thoughts/feelings are attached to those actions?

·
Registered
675 Posts
"ENTJ's-- In your life what is your biggest problem?"

Well, short-term, it is getting my body back inside a nice, warm cubicle. But personality-wise, I've been working on relaxing more. My natural tendency is to avoid wasting my time, or to avoid wasting a waste of time, so I've been exploring environments where I can just chill.

In short, I worked very hard in a futile quest to catch several White Whales during my 20s, and now feel like I'm playing catch-up on a lot of things, from friends, to love, to settling in a realistic career path.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My biggest problem is being too much of an anal, obsessive-compulsive perfectionist. I am painstaking when it comes to correcting things, and I see flaws in nearly everything. There is never something that doesn't need to be improved upon. I am an idealist, and nothing will ever live up to my high standards (especially my own self). I need to learn acceptance.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I don't have much inner sensitivity. So I usually expend more force than necessary. And end up running people over. It's like I'm a retard when it comes to knowing that enough is enough. I've got to see clear signs that someone is hurt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have much inner sensitivity. So I usually expend more force than necessary. And end up running people over. It's like I'm a retard when it comes to knowing that enough is enough. I've got to see clear signs that someone is hurt.
Your comments are fascinating to me because my ENTJ boyfriend has this same problem. He was thrilled when towards the end of his therapy he had the good fortune of connecting with his feeling side. It was during that time that I met him; as you can imagine I felt I found a gem. However, since those magical days, with any stress whatsoever he quickly becomes startlingly disconnected (retreating into his dominant T) to the point where I feel as if we're strangers.

Currently, he's working 7 days a week at his own business, following a major move. Given how overworked he is, I feel it would be unkind of me to breech any discussion of the (scary) problem I'm witnessing. Yet, I don't want our relationship to so disintegrate during this time that it's unsalvageable. So, this evening I emailed him to say how nice it was to see his smile today, and that I had missed it over the last couple of months. I was hoping to catch him off guard with this comment and plant a seed, since we haven't exchanged anything on this level for weeks upon weeks.

My question then to you and other ENTJ's, is whether my assessment sounds reasonable, as well as my approach in trying to reach out to him. It may be that this is a warning sign and that he will always become this dangerously detached. However, I want to give him and our relationship a chance.

Any insights and advice from your ENTJ perspective will be so very much appreciated.

Reactions: Kitagawa Megumi

·
Registered
478 Posts
Speaking from my perspective...

When I'm totally wrapped up in a project, or work (as your partner seems to be) - I do dislike distractions, or other issues being raised that require my focus to be diverted from the task at hand. Especially if it could be emotionally draining. As sometimes I just don't feel like I have the capacity for it. So during these fast-paced situations I do tend to be quite ignorant of other's feelings, when normally I might be more careful.

This, however, is certainly no excuse.

Perhaps, if you feel the need to raise an issue (which you're entitled to) - use the "I feel" phrase in the place of "you make me feel". It should (more often than not) elicit a better response.

If its of any consolation, we're not generally really ignorant or disinterested (often, and unfortunately, the most important people in my life really don't feel that they are!) - but we're just so 100% focused elsewhere. But if he really does have a problem with the relationship, then I suppose it really is his responsibility to discuss it with you. And since (as an ENTJ) he's most likely big on the responsibility thing, he'd be likely to understand the importance of addressing the problem, if there is one.

I hope things do improve, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you so much, Kaylryck, for your thoughtful response. You really validated my experience so that I feel I've assessed what's going on properly. It would be bad form for an INFP to overly react and take it personally! While he seems to reserve the worst for me in terms of his disconnect, I've managed--and now with your help I'll be more confident--to remain vigilant of my reactions and in his shoes as an ENTJ.

As you state, I still feel it is his responsibility to work on this problem as it has really damaged the relationship. I can't do it alone. When he is through the worst of his business move, and has had some time to unwind, I will have to gingerly bring the subject up. As you said, I will do it with "I feel" statements.

Your words have been very valuable to me!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My biggest problem is already being 22 and not as financially free as I anticipated I would be by this age. I feel very mediocre. The goal is to start a business as soon as I'm done with school (I know school is not needed to start a business, but I value education). I've also currently been waitlisted for the academic program of my choice and I am VERY impatient. Definitely a character-building phase of my life that has allowed a lot of personal growth. That and...student loans. I need to pay them off NOW. DAMN time going by so slow...I'm a nurse by the way. Did it for the near six figure salary while only working 3 12-hour shifts a week, which allows security and flexibility while attempting to venture into different things and find my calling.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Finding an equal of the opposite sex that shares the same ideals, wants to work toward common goals, that will allow me to bring out the best in them while they bring out the best in me...

... that is also interested in me in an Eros way.

THAT is the biggest hurdle presently, and since I do not go out and actively look... chances of it being remediated are slim to none.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.