Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking largely out of curiosity, but I'm also looking for fresh new ideas. My old routine (running 20 min., then doing my series of lifts) has grown a bit weary and I'd like to change things up a bit.

Any fitness gurus want to chime in? (Anyone is welcome to comment)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I don't do routines anymore...I've learned to feel out my body and connect to it in ways that are hard to describe.

Let me see where you might be in terms of subjective and objective ordeals.

Do you like running? Describe how cardio feels to you...note where you feel pain when you run or do cardio and how you mentally feel about it and where you run and on what.

Second: Your weight routine...why do you do it? What's your ideal size and shape.

This in conjunction with your ENTJ can help me figure out what I might say. I'm not a fitness certified person...I'm just someone who is really fit...I don't always have a six pack but I'm svelt like a 180lb boxer and stacked. I don't do much weight training though that is conventional....so let me know...I'll point you in the direction.

Weight and height too please...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I'm doing a good balance between cardio and resistence. I've been doing P90X for almost a year now (not consecutive days, but at least 3 - 4 times a week). It's something I plan on continuing as a lifestyle. In the next few months, I'll be switching up Plyo for the Insanity program (lots of high intensity moves).

Generally, I don't diet. I just make "healthy choices" and maintain good portioning. Exercise, I do 3 - 4 times a week (cardio once or twice, resistance once or twice, yoga once). Each workout is about an hour long. I work out with a family member to keep me motivated and accountable.

I have never been to a gym or stepped foot into a gym. I cannot get past paying $1000 a year for a gym membership when I can simply use my own willpower.

Reactions: scude

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

I'm a fairly skinny 5'9" guy, and I'm trying to shift my focus more into lifting. I use free weights, alternating between 30 lbs. and 20 lbs. (for the slower lifts). I try to work the biceps, triceps, and shoulders, for the most part. Yeah, I'm not that muscular or anything, but, small steps.

I haven't been to the gym in a while (it's my only option at the moment, and thankfully the nearby gym has a fairly affordable drop-in rate). I should change that...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I'm a fairly skinny 5'9" guy, and I'm trying to shift my focus more into lifting. I use free weights, alternating between 30 lbs. and 20 lbs. (for the slower lifts). I try to work the biceps, triceps, and shoulders, for the most part. Yeah, I'm not that muscular or anything, but, small steps.

I haven't been to the gym in a while (it's my only option at the moment, and thankfully the nearby gym has a fairly affordable drop-in rate). I should change that...
At the boxing arena I went to, there people got by using only 45 pounds of weight. I thought you really needed heavy weights but I guess not. I copied their exercise incorporated what they did into my routine.

-planks with weights on my back 14-30 pounds 5 times. One time for each 30 seconds
All the next exercise I did for about a minutes with
+squats and overhead press at the same time with 22 dumbbell on each hand.
+Squats again with 22 pounds
+ Grabbing light 10 pound weights and shooting them above my head for as fast as I can
+over head press again
+ when I do overhead press, I make sure to lower the weights all the way to to my waist so I can work out my forearm while I'm doing overhead press.
I do this three times. I finish half an hour and I work out every body part. I hate doing bicep curls,triceps,sit-ups, lower abs crunches and all isolation exercise. They take way to long to complete when I can finish quickly with what I told you.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm asking largely out of curiosity, but I'm also looking for fresh new ideas. My old routine (running 20 min., then doing my series of lifts) has grown a bit weary and I'd like to change things up a bit.

Any fitness gurus want to chime in? (Anyone is welcome to comment)
No routine. I change exercises often, since that will counter the adaptation issue you will encounter.

Overall, I train for power and aerobic exercise = loads of sets, but no more than 8 repetitions. This means no very muscular body, but a very functional one. The one that actually thrusts your fist forward when needed, or have a sprint at the occasional public transport stations without sweating and regaining breath quickly.

Areas: back, torso, abdomen, arms, buttocks, legs. I.e. whole body. Cardiovasculair is hometrainer, running, race cycle, swimming, skiing and more. I like to change this up.

Reactions: Korpasov

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hope you don't mind me chiming in also, not being ENTJ, but since exercise is close to my heart and I've also been forced to re-consider exercise options (being a student I do not want to waste money to gym);

Youtube exercise videos for cardio / strength - there are quite a lot of free videos focusing on all different areas in your body for instance

Running (outdoors) - I don't like to do too much since it's bad for the knee, but once a week I replace cardio with this - if you can, you could do interval training - that's really good for keeping your shape up

In the past I've done and enjoyed lifting weights at the gym, swimming, different combat sports, and spinning. If you can afford gym membership, it's a good way to get motivated & pumped up in classes with a good instructor. :) I'm not an expert but isn't it good to change the routine up every 6 weeks or so? I typically just do more weights / longer more demanding cardio etc when I develop.

Good luck, and have fun!

EDIT: Oh and forgot to mention I work out "every day" but intensity is different. More strenously 2-3 times a week. I walk a lot and use my bike to get to places also. And the Youtube videos keep it interesting since they have these e.g. "30 day programs" so I just change them up also :D

·
Registered
INTJ
1,409 Posts
The key, I've found, to sticking with exercise is find something you love doing and stick with it - but also change it up. It sounds contradictory, but it works.

I found fencing. I love fencing, I love every aspect of it. It is a complete body work out. Besides fencing, I've tried archery, running, yoga. I keep up with basic pushups and ab exercises in addition to these. Exercise is a lot more fun when it's something intellectually stimulating as well. Sitting around in a gym can be boring.

As for dieting, don't. I haven't found it helpful. Eat as healthy as you can, but remember everything in moderation is perfectly fine. Drink lots of water, though!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If you need to decrease the calorie intake without withholding healthy foods, install the myfitnesspall app.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Go to the gym. Plenty of stuff there.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm 5'8, got asian genes... Just have athletic body, very hard for me to bulk even though I eat & eat (thanks Dad!) As long as I feel my body is strong & my immunity is strong, i'm content.

Gym at night. Alternate between upper and lower. 1 day rest, do laps in the pool.

Surf on Fri/Sat/Sunday morning with my brother if I don't have a big night out the night before. Sex is good cardio!

Used to play Gridiron but got too busy. Doing Kendo at the moment, looking to do boxing.

Might work for you, I haven't had a hot shower for over a year now. Icy cold showers have really helped my body.

Reactions: MikeLloyd

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I train like a boxer...about 1 to 2 hours a day.

I work on flexibility, core, and body-weight exercises for strength. I actually train way more than the average ENTJ...I train more like an ESTJ but my sensory function was being developed earlier than most entj's..

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
No routine. I change exercises often, since that will counter the adaptation issue you will encounter.

Overall, I train for power and aerobic exercise = loads of sets, but no more than 8 repetitions. This means no very muscular body, but a very functional one. The one that actually thrusts your fist forward when needed, or have a sprint at the occasional public transport stations without sweating and regaining breath quickly.

Areas: back, torso, abdomen, arms, buttocks, legs. I.e. whole body. Cardiovasculair is hometrainer, running, race cycle, swimming, skiing and more. I like to change this up.

I actually find that doing high reps is better for power. I measured my punching power for each fist and it was 800 units on the machine but when I started doing five to six sets of squats and dead lifts with very low weight, even less than many girls lift, and did reps while moving forward (like moving lunges) of 20-50...and then added planks to tie it to my core...my punching with each fist went to 950 and 1200 with my right hand.

That's better than most professional boxers....but I'm not good at boxing...I just punch really hard and fast.

I don't train agility as much as boxers so if I were in the ring I would get beat so bad...but I don't practice any violence..

I find improving your punching power is the best way to achieve body unity sort of like fencing but with your fists.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I hear steroids are pretty cool.

In all seriousness just look up exercises for whatever part of your body you'd like to work on. Then build your own routine. It took me a while to find a good combo of exercises I liked doing, and when I get tired of one, I just find another that hits the same muscle group and switch it up.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Yoga, swimming, cardio kickboxing. I switch em' around so I don't get bored and thats about it. Eventually, I'll probably get back into lifting again, but I don't feel like figuring that ish out right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts