Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've done the Enneagram Personality test, what type have you gotten? Do you think is it true? Does it apply to you?

I scored type 8

·
Registered
169 Posts
I score as an 8w9, and think it's very accurate. Although.. I also identify pretty strongly with 8w7.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Banned
809 Posts
I'm an 8w7, though I am not sure of the description. That's the only one I've ever tested and the description only gave me a type 8 description. Not sure how the wings come into place, though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I typically get 8 with a strong 9 wing, in second place is 6, third is 3 and 1 (although I dont relate to 1 perfectionism very well).

I relate extremely well to 8w9, and also relate to 6w7 a lot too.

They say that ENTJs "should be" enneagram types 8, 6,3, or 1. I dont believe that enneagram is associated with MBTI type (technically it shouldn't be, enneagram is motivations, MBTI is how you think) but it'd be kind of weird to see an ENTJ type 2 enneagram or ENTJ type 9.
*shrug* I suppose it exists somewhere.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
3w2. The 3 fits very much, but the 2 wing.. never thought of myself as 'charming', but I guess I'm too social to be a wing 4.

I view MBTI as indication of 'performance' or the way one 'function', but enneagram as the underlying motives and the way the machinery ticks. That's how it works in my case, anyway: by practical purposes I'm an ENTJ, but why I do those things, and the little things I just do regardless of (ENTJ-oriented) purposes, they usually fall to 3w2 tendencies.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Type 8. What is the wing thing? It gives me one type when I take the tests.
Your wing is sort of like, the "added" part.
For example, if youre an enneagram 8, you could be 8w9 or 8w7.
The number can only be one below or above the initial, like if you were a 7, then you can only be 7w6 or 7w8 (not 7w1 or 7w9).

The wings add a different element to the typical description.
So while a 8w7 will be extremely agressive, assertive, etc, an 8w9 is completely different. They are more soft/subdued than their 8w7 counterparts.
I believe PersC has some articles on enneagram and the wings.

A note on type 8s:
Also, counterphobic 6's are also considered to mirror 8s, so sometimes you see someone you think is an 8, but theyre actually a 6. It does the same for other numbers, it gets kind of complicated, and then it segregates to whether you're a "healthy" 8, 7 or 2 (what have you) to an unhealthy description.

Enneagram can be fluffy and is really even less factual than MBTI or Jungian functions.
I like it because its fun, and it does explain some things that functions cannot but do I hold loads of stock into it? Not all the time. Enneagram is about motivations.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
8w7 with instinctual stackings of sx/sp. Intensely dislike enneagram since the optimum enneagram health level we can reach is the benevolent physically powerful village idiot who's had smoke and sunshine blown up his arse so he believes by being do-gooders, he too can be heroic in nature. Ew to a system that optimises using a Fe-based control mechanism to mould individuals into someone else's perception of a functional society.

The instinctual stackings I can relate to and embrace.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I be a 7. I am all over the place if you ask me. I have one of those confusing personalities the doesn't type well. Someone told me it's because of my Ni . And those tests are mostly built for sensors. I don't know if thats actually true.

Reactions: CaféZeitgeist

·
Registered
648 Posts
I be a 7. I am all over the place if you ask me. I have one of those confusing personalities the doesn't type well. Someone told me it's because of my Ni . And those tests are mostly built for sensors. I don't know if thats actually true.
An explanation (possibly?): An ENTJ-7 would be kind of confusing because they're sort of conflicting.
A 7 is based on being free spirited, enterprising, wants to have fun, pleasure seeking, etc, and typically seen in extroverted perceiving types like EXTP or EXFP.

Having strong Ni could be a part of it?

I dont believe enneagram and types are related because enneagram describes underlying motivations, so it's totally plausible to be an ENTJ with a 7 enneagram, but I can also see it as kind of a weird dichotomy.
ENTJs (with the correct JCF order) want structure, order, internal ethics/morals, need to be stimulated mentally, need evidence, not typically pleasure seeking, whereas the 7 enneagram is...pretty opposite and totally care free. Perhaps you have both sides to you?

Im not sure what you mean by "the tests are for sensors"..Im pretty sure any test is just made for anyone really. Mind elaborating?

Honestly, I wish I was a 7. Being an 8w9 is pretty stupid.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
An explanation (possibly?): An ENTJ-7 would be kind of confusing because they're sort of conflicting.
A 7 is based on being free spirited, enterprising, wants to have fun, pleasure seeking, etc, and typically seen in extroverted perceiving types like EXTP or EXFP.

Having strong Ni could be a part of it?

I dont believe enneagram and types are related because enneagram describes underlying motivations, so it's totally plausible to be an ENTJ with a 7 enneagram, but I can also see it as kind of a weird dichotomy.
ENTJs (with the correct JCF order) want structure, order, internal ethics/morals, need to be stimulated mentally, need evidence, not typically pleasure seeking, whereas the 7 enneagram is...pretty opposite and totally care free. Perhaps you have both sides to you?

Im not sure what you mean by "the tests are for sensors"..Im pretty sure any test is just made for anyone really. Mind elaborating?
Honestly, I wish I was a 7. Being an 8w9 is pretty stupid.:laughing:
That's exactly where I am coming from! Part of me wants to hold the rules down and have others follow them to the T .
And then the other part of me is like don't let the small things drag you. Let it go. Don't judge and have fun.
I do have conflicting sides to my personality. I always have. You are not the first to catch that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's exactly where I am coming from! Part of me wants to hold the rules down and have others follow them to the T .
And then the other part of me is like don't let the small things drag you. Let it go. Don't judge and have fun.
I do have conflicting sides to my personality. I always have. You are not the first to catch that.
Thats really interesting, so your underlying motivations are like a 7 but mentally you want to keep everything in line, etc because of Te Im guessing.
Im not a pro or anything, Im just merely suggesting a theory.

Hm, that must be pretty confusing. Sounds kind of fun though.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Thats really interesting, so your underlying motivations are like a 7 but mentally you want to keep everything in line, etc because of Te Im guessing.
Im not a pro or anything, Im just merely suggesting a theory.

Hm, that must be pretty confusing. Sounds kind of fun though.
Mostly a defense mechanism for stress. I don't want to be the person yelling and being upset because it didn't go my way. I want to be like a Buddhist monk. I am bigger then this small problem.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I score a 1 or a 3 depending on the one I take. I hate the fact I could be a 3, but it's probably true, and I'm most comfortable with being a 1. It's probably a result of my upbringing. I feel as if I aim to be a 3 by being a 1 if that makes sense. Not too familiar with the theory behind enneagrams.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I score a 1 or a 3 depending on the one I take. I hate the fact I could be a 3, but it's probably true, and I'm most comfortable with being a 1. It's probably a result of my upbringing. I feel as if I aim to be a 3 by being a 1 if that makes sense. Not too familiar with the theory behind enneagrams.
  • Type Three-Type One
Average Ones and average Threes are sometimes mistaken because both types are efficient and highly organized. If an isolated behavior is the only thing being considered (chairing a business meeting or planning a vacation, for instance), their organizational abilities are similar–hence the confusion between them. Both are highly task-oriented and tend to put their feelings on the back burner to get things done. Also, both share a desire to improve themselves and to meet high standards, although the basis of their standards and their key motivations are quite different in nature.
Average Ones are idealists, striving for perfection and order in every area of their lives, especially their emotional lives, in an effort to control both themselves and their environment so that errors and failures of all sorts will not be introduced. Inner-motivated by strong consciences, they are organized and efficient so as not to waste time and other resources or allow themselves to be in a position for their consciences to rebuke them for being imperfect, for not trying hard enough, or for being guilty of some form of selfishness.
Average Threes, by contrast, are efficient pragmatists, not idealists. Threes are driven more by their goals than by standards–they care more about getting the job done than about the particulars of how it gets done. Ones tend to be attached to particular methods or procedures ("This is the best way to do this.") Threes are more adaptable, and will change tactics quickly if they feel they are not getting the desired result. Average Threes are primarily interested in success, prestige, and advancing their careers, and the efficiency we see in them is a way of attaining those goals.
While both types tend to put their feelings aside for the sake of efficiency, average Threes are more able to mask whatever is bothering them. On the surface, they rarely appear emotionally disturbed for long by anything (although they may become momentarily discouraged or even depressed by setbacks), nor are they generally ever distracted by their feelings. They are able to invest most of their energy into achieving their goals and in staying focused on them single-mindedly. Ones are far less able to conceal their irritations and disappointments. Others are almost immediately aware of their agitation.
Both types can be cool and impersonal, although they are usually polite and well mannered. With average Ones, we get the impression of deeper feelings being held in check or sublimated elsewhere, say into organizing and maintaining their office space, or giving time to a local ecological organization. Even though Ones do not ordinarily allow their passions to be expressed, their emotions remain potentially available should the self-control Ones typically exercise be lifted. (Their most prevalent negative emotions are righteous anger, indignation, irritation, and guilt.) In average Threes, however, the impression of aloofness and of emotional coolness comes more from a detachment from their feelings rather than a suppression of them. At the same time, average Threes tend to present whatever emotion seems appropriate at the time. If seriousness is called for, they tend to project seriousness. If levity is required, they will "do levity," smiling and being chatty, even if inside they are feeling frightened, overwhelmed, or even sad. For better or worse, Threes are more skilled at projecting charm and "personality" than Ones. However, we can discern the underlying detachment from deeper feelings when Threes are "performing" by the abruptness and ease with which they can adjust their affect from situation to situation and from person to person. (In contrast to Ones, their most prevalent negative emotions are hostility, arrogance, and underlying feelings of shame and humiliation.)
In addition, Ones are trying to be perfect to fend off their own superegos, while Threes are trying to excel to overcome feelings of family shame. In effect, Ones say, "Listen to me–I know the right way to do things," whereas Threes say, "Be like me–I have got it together." Ones offer themselves as examples of those who are striving for perfection, particularly moral perfection, they see themselves as those who can meet the highest standards; Threes offer themselves as exemplars of individual perfection, particularly personal desirability, and as those who can accomplish and be the best.
These two types are similar because both types are "thinking" types–the One corresponds to Jung's extroverted thinking type (PT, 381), who attempts to be objective and impersonal, while the Three's thinking is goal-oriented and pragmatic, similar in orientation to the extroverted thinking of the average One, although technically, there is no direct Jungian correlation. Both types have in mind some sort of goal that they want to achieve. The difference is that Ones attempt to discover which objective means will best lead to the desired ideal, whereas Threes are pragmatists who work backward to find the most efficient means to achieve their goal. The differences between these types can be seen by comparing Al Gore (a One) with Bill Clinton (a Three) or between Emma Thompson (a One) and Jane Pauley (a Three).
A worthy read from the 3's stickies, and could be an eye-opener.

In order to ease my resentment created by the actions of others, understanding the human motivations is something that the Enneagram has helped me with, and the MBTI lacked.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Great post. Thanks, Wake.

I feel the 3 could be more accurate then. I still feel like I carry some of the one type elements that are absent from the 3's description though. Is the enneagram a one or the other thing, or can you blur between multiple types? In other words, is there anything similar to the wings that would skip over 2 and bridge the 1 and 3? I'm just curious how they came up with the shape, wings, etc. I'm not seeing how 1 and 3 can be similar and 2 being completely different.

·
Registered
171 Posts
8w7.

But I don't buy the enneagram theory, there is something about it I don't like, I cannot say what exactly, just a hunch that something is not right. I did the test because an INTJ friend of mine asked me to, so the results don't mean anything to me. According to my friend I fit the description perfectly... oh, well, whatever.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts