Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if this in an ENTP thing or just me.

I've parachuted 13 times and I still hate it. It takes everything to do it. I won't do it again, go on zip lines, Bangui jump ect.
My thinking is this, everything has the possibility to fuck up. I think things like " are the cables secure, when was the last time they did an inspection, who certifies these people, the people working here do not seem very sharp ....

Other reckless things no problem, but heights and falling nooooooope.

Just me or?

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
My dad's afraid of heights.

I'm not afraid of much-- I loved 'being scared' ever since I was a kid, anyway, so... Maybe I am a bit afraid of heights, but it's kind of thrilling.

But, I don't think these kind of traits have anything to do with type, just so you know. :kitteh:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
questionable on type related.

however. no, not in general, and why the heck would you go 13 times if you hated it??

I would LOVE to go once. that sounds AWESOME. I wouldn't even hesitate.

That said, rock climbing on real rock was something I could never get into. Or over the fear, ESPECIALLY lead climbing.

Some forces of nature I will play with, but not jagged rocks and gravity. Gravity will f*** you up, son.

Reactions: DeductiveReasoner

·
Registered
283 Posts
Extremely.
Anything that is physically harming I will be afraid of. (I'd say in quite excessive amount, compared to others, so not just survival instict)

This also includes post-effects of horror movies. (e.x. imagining a supernatural has come for you)

I have to agree the ability to calmly accept absolute skepticism and realising that you're gambling your life on chance plays a crucial role here.
Not to mention my imagination of how it happens is quite vivid and somewhat realistic.

But then it might be just me never really being an adrenaline fanatic. NTs in general I'd say have a high chance of not involving with too many physical activities that are just for fun that is caused from adrenaline, rather than fun from success/skill.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
I'm afraid of heights in the way that I'm scared by the thought that keeps popping up when I'm in a high place: 'What would it be like to jump down?' But if there's no way to jump I'm perfectly comfortable, like when I am attached to a zip-line or you can't jump over the banister or something.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
I was looking up at the rooftop swimming pool from the ground level.. You know the pool where it fills up half of the rooftop and the only thing that separates you from the edge of the building and yourself is water. What if I didn't look where I was swimming and fell off the building towards my untimely death? I know that seems impossible but shits could happen when you least expect it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don't get a thrill out of risky or scary things. But I'm not "afraid." It's more like I don't see what I'm going to get from jumping out of a plane. I'm either going to land safely or, less likely but still possible, something will go wrong and I'll die. So.... ? I also don't go on rollercoasters or ski. Same kind of reasoning.

Take a radically different example. Probably more dangerous than jumping out of a plane is birthing a child. Lots of things can go wrong there. But for me it's worth the risk because I value my children more than anything, and having them is worth a higher amount of risk to me (because I get so much out of it). I don't think I benefit personally, spiritually, whatever from jumping out of a plane.

I wouldn't say I have a fear of heights though. Taking a trip in a plane, crossing a bridge, jumping off a diving board... these things don't frighten me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I doubt fears have anything to do with type.
They're just our brains natural defense mechanism.
It's no big deal, you just won't go skydiving. It's not a huge loss.
I personally don't think conquering your fears is a necessary part of life.
Outer space freaks me out. I'm not about to try and become an astronaut just to get over it.

·
I love my everything
10,949 Posts
Intp and no
But I haven't done those. Mainly only roller coasters/rides, planes, and tall buildings? Though I would love to skydive and plan to one day.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm scared of heights. But I don't think it has anything to do with being an ENTP in my case.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I am afraid of heights when it comes to being up high unsecured. I do not like being on my house roof, on high ladders, scaffolding, cliff edges with no railing. I have no urge at all to jump out of a plane or rock climb for that same reason. Yes, you have a harness and/or parachute but I am relying on something that could or could not hold or work. I had to go out on a 50 story high rise roof for work and although it was really cool view of the city, the fact the edge walls were only 2 feet high and the winds were really strong freaked me out. I had to stay at least 50 feet from the edge.

However, I am not afraid of being in a tall building, a plane, a high roller coaster, a scenic overlook, because I feel more secure. Because I am semi-afraid of heights, I actually get quite a thrill from roller coasters and scenic overlooks. I haven't but I would be willing to zip line, depending on where I am doing it (height and what is below me). I actually find looking down at the ground calming and interesting in a plane but it is more because I'm nerdily trying to recognize land forms and geologic formations.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,276 Posts
I'm absolutely terrified of heights. Just take me a few meters above the ground and my palms start getting sweaty and I get vertigo. It's more of a phobia than actual fear though, because most of the time it's irrational. And I'm not afraid of planes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Speaking of rides, while I avoid roller coasters, I really enjoy the ferris wheel and the Italian trapeze. That's the one where you're on a really long swing and it spins in a circle and goes up nice and high. There is this great amusement park in Pennsylvania called Knoebles where you're in the middle of all the mountains and the views when you're on the high rides is really beautiful. I don't mind being high, as long as it's kind of tranquil like that. But again, no roller coasters.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I get a little weak in the knees near high ledges, but I think that's a normal body response for anyone who's not used to being near heights all the time, but I've certainly never had any problem going on roofs, walking along cliffs, climbing trees etc.

On the contrary I'm very claustrophobic, not that I'm ever scared of enclosed spaces, but I get a cabin fever type of discomfort in tight spaces that comes on quicker than most and can be quite intense... I don't think I'd be able to go spelunking or live on a submarine.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Uh... I don't know.

I love flying in airplanes (mostly because i'm sitting there thinking "HOLY SHIT I'M RIDING IN A FLYING BUS THIS IS SO COOL")
but I despise rollercoasters.

I also like ziplines, and used to jump of a 3 story dock into a lake when I was younger.

So I guess whether or not I'm afraid of height is up in the air :laughing:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Speaking of rides, while I avoid roller coasters, I really enjoy the ferris wheel and the Italian trapeze. That's the one where you're on a really long swing and it spins in a circle and goes up nice and high. There is this great amusement park in Pennsylvania called Knoebles where you're in the middle of all the mountains and the views when you're on the high rides is really beautiful. I don't mind being high, as long as it's kind of tranquil like that. But again, no roller coasters.
I've been to Knoebles. It is a very beautiful park and I love that there is no entrance fee, just pay as you go for rides or get a bracelet. All my mom side relatives live in eastern PA (mostly in the anthracite coal regions in the NE).

Talking about phobias/fears, I used to get almost claustrophobic when I visited my relatives in PA. Most of them live in row houses in towns that are surrounded by mountains. Having grown up in the Midwest with a large yard with a cornfield behind my house and being able to see for miles across the flat land, I would get really uncomfortable not being able to see a long sunrise/sunset or weather coming up. Conversely, my cousin used to say that she felt overwhelmed by the amount of space in the Midwest.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm generally speaking a quite proactive and careful person, and heights are definitely one of my top fears.

That said, I find some weird pleasure in trying to overcome fear so I still find myself in high places (to my great delight and fright)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts