Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there had any experience with the so-called duality between ISFP and ENTP?
Is there a thread out there already?
What experiences have you had with ISFPs?
Have they ever said anything to you that was deeply profound or impacted your life monumentally?

My ISFP friend said two things I can remember right now that really moved me in a cosmic way:

1. I'm not so afraid of dying as I am afraid of not really living.
2. You never know how much a stranger might affect you. You never know how much a simple sentence might change their life forever.

With her, at least, I remember that it was just a very comfortable friendship. We used to just sit around and read and discuss books we were reading. She really had a way of saying things that blew my mind (such as the two above). And, of course, there have been others in my life, too. ISFPs are really grand, in my experience.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
ISFP? -googles-
Sounds like my second girlfriend.
She. Was. Awesome.
At first, considering I booted her ex, she was ridiculously quiet, but she had this "air of conflict" or something, couldn't tell then, won't tell now. After a few fun events (usually involving me saying "either run or pretend you don't know me!"), she started warming up, then she got ridiculously curious about me. I let her dig deeper, she found things, she was curious about them, I showed them to her, she went waaaay deeper into the subject than I ever did, etc. etc.

Things got hairy, people showed up, people went derp, etc. etc. Some chick and my girlfriend's entourage of bitchy alpha females warned me that "I should leave, for her own good", I didn't listen.

Annnnd... You can piece the ending. Or not. Ennui.

Either way, my point? She practically, metaphorically, and this one time spiritually, saved my life. I'd thank her, if it was a good idea, but it really isn't.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ISFP? -googles-
She. Was. Awesome.
At first, considering I booted her ex, she was ridiculously quiet, but she had this "air of conflict" or something, couldn't tell then, won't tell now. After a few fun events (usually involving me saying "either run or pretend you don't know me!"), she started warming up, then she got ridiculously curious about me. I let her dig deeper, she found things, she was curious about them, I showed them to her, she went waaaay deeper into the subject than I ever did, etc. etc.

Things got hairy, people showed up, people went derp, etc. etc. Some chick and my girlfriend's entourage of bitchy alpha females warned me that "I should leave, for her own good", I didn't listen.

Either way, my point? She practically, metaphorically, and this one time spiritually, saved my life. I'd thank her, if it was a good idea, but it really isn't.
:) I liked that story. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I wish I could contribute. I have only just met an ENTP, haha, and she's as cool as a cat. She writes, is a very intelligent and curious individual, and gets obsessed with things knowledge wise that I wish I could(well, i do, but it's very very rare).

I am currently friends with 2 ENTJ's and we hang out about 3x a week and share many things in common. We have great conversations, make each other laugh til' it hurts sometimes, and just enjoy each other's company. We became friends through a mutual interest in something and started hanging out. And yes, believe it or not, an ISFP + ENTJ can be friends lol. I'm sure the same can be said of an ISFP + ENTP friendship.

(btw, i know they are ENTJ's cuz' i subjected them to multiple tests and they agree for the most part on the outcomes and descriptions of their type etc.)

I have to look into this duality aspect and what it means.

@marzipan01 do you have a good link or something where i can read up more on it?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Anyone out there had any experience with the so-called duality between ISFP and ENTP? ....
Yes. It was complicated since she was a single woman and I was a married man. The friendship ended abruptly when I started trying to save my marriage. But becuase of that experience I'll definately be looking for ISFPs once a judge hands me my walking papers.

We ended up working on several creative projects, website design and a few other things and I don't really have a good way to discribe it but it was really extreemly easy to work together.

On top of that ISFPs have a crazy, goofy side. This made the experiences fun as I have a goofy ENTP side to me too. She also seemed to have many of the qualities I was missing in my wife.

The attachment and how quickly it formed scared me, plus I wanted to save my marriage at the time so we are no longer in contact. But someday I'd like to be back in a relationship that felt like that and actually be able to pursue the person.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I only know of one ISFP and being in his presence can be very.......taxing; I can only be around him for short amounts of time or else I think mean thoughts. I don't dislike him or anything, I just.....I don't know. Yeah.

I want to meet other ISFPs so I can have more points of reference.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Personally ... Can't do it. You know how I am with feelers of any type @marzipan01:)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only know of one ISFP and being in his presence can be very.......taxing; I can only be around him for short amounts of time or else I think mean thoughts. I don't dislike him or anything, I just.....I don't know. Yeah.

I want to meet other ISFPs so I can have more points of reference.
You sure that was an ISFP?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
From what I've understood,read about,studied....it seems that enneagram is a bigger factor of whether or not you can get along with someone .
For instance, I'm a type 7, and generally 7's get along with all types....or can anyways. It seems we're pretty versatile like that. At least from what I've noticed. Also, regardless of type, people can be immature or flat out annoying or tiring.

@Gina Alawaye

You haven't met an isfp like me yet ;) lmao

·
Registered
283 Posts
marzipan01:2410341 said:
You sure that was an ISFP?
Positive. I tested him because I wanted to see if his personality type had anyting to do with why he baffles me so. He's not boring, he's sweet, he's admirable (he's chronically ill & constantly in pain but neither I nor anyone else I know as ever heard him complain), he's even a geek like I am. He has a number of great qualities and very few bad ones. We should be able to get along swimmingly;technically we are close aquaintences -- not friends yet but close. But whenever we talk, I feel like we've had the same conversation at least twice already or that he mentions something that already thought about & he supplies me with little new information.

I'm thinking that it's just me & my never ending quest for novelty. But I am determined to be friends with him.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
302 Posts
ISFP? -googles-
She. Was. Awesome.

Yes. It was complicated since she was a single woman and I was a married man. The friendship ended abruptly when I started trying to save my marriage. But becuase of that experience I'll definately be looking for ISFPs once a judge hands me my walking papers.

We ended up working on several creative projects, website design and a few other things and I don't really have a good way to discribe it but it was really extreemly easy to work together.

On top of that ISFPs have a crazy, goofy side. This made the experiences fun as I have a goofy ENTP side to me too. She also seemed to have many of the qualities I was missing in my wife.

The attachment and how quickly it formed scared me, plus I wanted to save my marriage at the time so we are no longer in contact. But someday I'd like to be back in a relationship that felt like that and actually be able to pursue the person.
+1 for reflecting my current experiences... my god

I want to know more about this chemistry from an entp perspective. How long did it e.g. take for them to start trusting you - do you know what triggered it?

·
Registered
624 Posts
+1 for reflecting my current experiences... my god

I want to know more about this chemistry from an entp perspective. How long did it e.g. take for them to start trusting you - do you know what triggered it?
I think the attraction is fairly fast on the ENTP side but not so much on the ISFP side. They are maybe not fragile, but definately driven by whim. Our tough minded nature and sometimes overly nuanced communication can turn them off. Be kind and be their friend. Try and be the person that helps stabelize their world without once ounce of controlling them. That last bit is a best guess, not speaking from experience. Also stalk the ISFP forum, you can learn alot there.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I think the attraction is fairly fast on the ENTP side but not so much on the ISFP side. They are maybe not fragile, but definately driven by whim. Our tough minded nature and sometimes overly nuanced communication can turn them off. Be kind and be their friend. Try and be the person that helps stabelize their world without once ounce of controlling them. That last bit is a best guess, not speaking from experience. Also stalk the ISFP forum, you can learn alot there.
I've been noticing a pattern of Entp stalking as of late lol. I loved what you said about not one ounce of controlling them. Yeah we don't like being controlled or manipulated. Just be honest with us too and open: i think alot of us have a knack for picking up on insincere interest and lies. Be engaging but not overwhelming or overbearing.
And we typically take some time to get to know and especially open up to others. Those are my thoughts on it anyways.

·
Registered
624 Posts
....And we typically take some time to get to know and especially open up to others. Those are my thoughts on it anyways.
I think this might be the hardest part for an ENTP. We typically recognize the potential earlier and patiently waiting isn't one of our strong suits.

The other weakness in an ENTP/ISFP early relationship is ISFPs want directness. We tend to be very tentitive whenever we're aproaching with caution. Being direct but not overbearing is hard for a romantically interested ENTP.

If you can get past the initial hurdles it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I think this might be the hardest part for an ENTP. We typically recognize the potential earlier and patiently waiting isn't one of our strong suits.

The other weakness in an ENTP/ISFP early relationship is ISFPs want directness. We tend to be very tentitive whenever we're aproaching with caution. Being direct but not overbearing is hard for a romantically interested ENTP.

Speaking of Entp's, I'm watching Iron Man and i think Tony Stark is one/ iread that somewhere too.
Because I'm watching it now with friends I'll elaborate more once it's over. I never considered that perspective from an Entp before. Interesting.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I'm pretty sure my first serious girlfriend was an ISFP. (She thought she was an INFP, but I don't think that's correct in retrospect.) We weren't really all that compatible. I thought we were at the time, but I was young. I'm incredibly abstract. She was more concrete, which of course is the essential difference between the N functions and the S functions. I like to express concepts as being contingent upon other concepts, which in themselves were not necessarily set in stone. This frustrated her, since she wanted to keep concepts discrete.

·
Banned
492 Posts
I'm pretty sure my first serious girlfriend was an ISFP. (She thought she was an INFP, but I don't think that's correct in retrospect.) We weren't really all that compatible. I thought we were at the time, but I was young. I'm incredibly abstract. She was more concrete, which of course is the essential difference between the N functions and the S functions. I like to express concepts as being contingent upon other concepts, which in themselves were not necessarily set in stone. This frustrated her, since she wanted to keep concepts discrete.
You just answered, in a nutshell, the question which i was just about to ask haha.

I dont even know what an S is. I just see it as "non-intuitive" haha. What is sensing???? Living and thinking in the moment? Well i guess an N can do that to, taking things that come at them and dealing with them intuitively. Ive been trying to live in the "now" but i find it very difficult for some reason. Im always 10 steps ahead of myself, and forget to just "be". Its why i have issues with meditation.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Interesting. I just looked up "ISFP demotivational posters", which is how i explore personality types of course, and i guess i can relate to it actually. Except only in like, fleeting moments that distract me from my CURRENT MISSION, whatever it may be. Like if i get out of my car at night, i will be all like "DAMN, the night sky is fuckin beautiful", and ill just stare at it for like 10 minutes, and have a moment of fukin zen.

Difficult to talk about, being all scared of emotion and stuff.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Like if i get out of my car at night, i will be all like "DAMN, the night sky is fuckin beautiful", and ill just stare at it for like 10 minutes, and have a moment of fukin zen.

Difficult to talk about, being all scared of emotion and stuff.
Welcome to my world. Look at Isfp threads and good luck seeing us talking about our personal issues or certain emotions.
Also, what you described as a 'Zen' moment is something I do all the time haha. I think of it as daydreaming on random things.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

Why is it so hard to be direct but not overbearing? I mean, can't you express that you like the person without seeming oppressive so to say?
The patience thing, i can understand that. It's hard to wait if you like someone but i think some Isfp's can open up early depending on who they're comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts