Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now anyone has the problem already or any idea how this might looks like?
I feel sorry for my unborn kids aleady, because it will either be so god damn random with me or I fix my personality at ENTJ, which seems even worst for them (at least from my perspective).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
There will be another parent. You will adjust to cpmpensate for their style, and they for yours. You also need to consider that it will be very different parenting an ISTP child, say, than an ENFJ one.

My perspective as an ENTP parent is that basically I have to share my living space with three people, only one of whose personality I chose to live with. You learn to flex: ENTPs are good at that, so it isn't too painful.

Mind you, I'm not sure how I would have dealt with SJ kids...although maybe it would have been a bigger problem for them! My 2 are ENFJ and ENFP. It's....noisy in here!:crazy:

·
Registered
550 Posts
There will be another parent.:crazy:
Hopefully...

In my case, I'm both parents, and I recognize my blind spots, my advice to you is to find a woman who is far more patient and sensitive than you are.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sure. Sorry. Just extrapolating my own circumstances. But you can widen this: all children have adults they relate to, and not all of them are their parents. If you subtract obvious issues like extreme poverty and abuse, most kids are going to grow up being influenced constructively by several people of different personalities, and how they respond to that is a lot more about their own personality than that of their parent(s). Even as a single parent you are not the biggest influence in your child's life: they are.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ENTPs are outstanding teachers. And so under right circumstances very good parents. I feel like a child inside so I really relate to the kids. I think I am a very popular dad, among ALL kids. I play with them and alos devise new imaginative ways for my son to learn stuff. He is but 8 but I think he is ENxP, INxP, ENxJ or INxJ.

I love kids and want more.

Reactions: thegirlcandance

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yea, for the most part I think I am a fantastic parent. Kids are emotional little creatures, so maybe that's my downfall because I just look at her and tell her "stop crying" and she does. Other than that, everything's a learning experience, I almost never lose my cool, I talk to her as much as I can, and as a result she's a very confident, social, inquisitive and mindful 3 year old. I just know that we will have a great relationship for the rest of our lives... being a single parent I think brings you closer to an only child.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I would be a terrible parent and pity any potential children I might have at some point in my life.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have yet to meet anyone who confidently predicts they will be a good parent. Of course the ones who worry about it more turn out to be the better ones......

...and, while we're here, most of us don't think we want to be parents until we are either forced into it or hit 30, whichever comes first.

·
Banned
165 Posts
I think I would be a fun parent, though I'm kind of hot-headed. But what if I had idiot kids? D:

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
I have an ENTP dad and me and my INFJ brother turned out pretty well ;)! I love my dad, he taught us to be inquisitive (as you guys are most famous for) and that emotional manipulation won't work as well as a well presented case of abstract logic. ;)! He is a lot of fun to be around.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with a lot of the previous posts.

During my childhood, I rarely had any conflicts with my ENTP father. I think we fought...maybe twice? Even then, it was more of my ESFJ mother and ESFP brother using me as an intermediary.

He was the Fun Dad that everyone else wished they had. He really was like a big kid; He and I had a blast. Lots of fun memories.

We started having issues during my adolescence and young adulthood. It became increasingly difficult to effectively communicate with him. I still try, but my brother has long since given up.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I agree with a lot of the previous posts.

During my childhood, I rarely had any conflicts with my ENTP father. I think we fought...maybe twice? Even then, it was more of my ESFJ mother and ESFP brother using me as an intermediary.

He was the Fun Dad that everyone else wished they had. He really was like a big kid; He and I had a blast. Lots of fun memories.

We started having issues during my adolescence and young adulthood. It became increasingly difficult to effectively communicate with him. I still try, but my brother has long since given up.
Ouch... I hope I fare better. Now I am the "fun dad"....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ouch... I hope I fare better. Now I am the "fun dad"....
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bet you'll do just fine. :happy:

If it makes you feel better, I'm also a type 8. As long as conversations shy away from sensitive topics, my father and I still get along well.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bet you'll do just fine. :happy:

If it makes you feel better, I'm also a type 8. As long as conversations shy away from sensitive topics, my father and I still get along well.
I also noted that you are an ESTJ... For some reason I have the hardest time dealing with ESTJs ... Even professionally it can be a bother. SJs vs NTs you know.... Perhaps that has something to do with it too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also noted that you are an ESTJ... For some reason I have the hardest time dealing with ESTJs ... Even professionally it can be a bother. SJs vs NTs you know.... Perhaps that has something to do with it too.
Actually, I think ESTJs and ENTPs would get along better in a non-professional setting. I'm extremely results-driven at work but more laid-back at home.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
lol

I have been known to yell at my son that he really needs to come inside now, stop running around exercising and spend a bit of time on the xbox, relax!

But that would have been when he was outside playing soccer in the dark in -12 degrees C.....

·
Registered
680 Posts
ENTP girl and my ENTP father ... my father was adventurous, curious, intimidating, active, ambitious and clever. He could be outgoing and exciting when he wanted to be, other times, my brother and I got on his nerves and he scared us (more like me), so he retreated to the garage or office and ignored us a lot. I remember summers when my dad watched us while my mom worked and I'd spend most of the time in the back yard by myself, enterataining myself. I guess he gave us freedom, but sometimes I didn't want that. Sometimes I wanted his attention or affection and didn't get it. I felt like I walked on eggshells around him - never knew when I'd piss him off - but he promoted our independent and adventurous natures, and my love of ... everything.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I see a trend of ENTP guys stating "I'll be the Mr. awesome-fun dad!!" sounding all excited about being a kid with the kids.

Perhaps this is why the other day when I posted my facebook status as "Kids are absolutely wonderful because they are not yet scarred by the world" I had almost every ENTP that I know and have added as a friend click "like this" as well as an ENFP friend of mine.

Maybe its the whole dominant Ne thing that screams "Who ever said I had to grow up?" After all, I guess Walt Disney himself WAS an ENTP. :wink:

Reactions: ENTPreneur
1 - 20 of 21 Posts