Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if this happens to other ENTP's. I don't just loooovve learning ANYTHING at ANY TIME like some NT's do. I need a trigger. Maybe I'll be conversing with someone and they'll present me with some totally new and fascinating idea, and suddenly I'm FULL of energy, I just start voraciously ingesting as much as I can on the subject. Talking to others, researching online, planning what I'll do with it. This will go on for hours (I'll look at the clock and be shocked that it's already 3:30am), and eventually the day ends, I have to sleep. So I go to sleep thinking about all the new things I'm going to try tomorrow, and how this thing has totally changed my life, and omg it's so awesome ... And then the next day I wake up, look around in disbelief at the aftermath of my learning session (notes, stuff I got out) and I'm like "oh ... yeah, right .. I was meaning to work on that thing ... god, I'm hungry, well, maybe later on. Wow, my head hurts ..." And that initial spark of inspiration is just gone. And I just want to do something completely mindless. I see it sort of as mental overload, and the next day my thinking muscles are sore and they just need to rest.

·
Banned
165 Posts
doesn't sound type related...

if we are talking functions this is obviously Ne, and maybe even Ne as a dominant function

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I do indeed know what you mean. There's the incredible stroke of inspiration, but then suddenly all motivation goes...poof. Been there! It does sound like a pretty typical ENTP (or simply Ne) thing to do.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think ENTP's in general have trouble finishing what they start and staying focused on one thing. I don't really need a reason or inspiration to learn something, but I do jump around subjects a lot. My mental "toys" come and go.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
My head usually explodes like that. For around 10minutes I literally became a human calculator.I think I came close to death.....

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I know what you mean. When I get that spark that sets me on a roll, I feel as though any problem in the world is just minutes from a solution. Then other times I feel like a monkey staring at math problem. (rarely) :proud:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah it's taken me years to realize that this thing I'm so excited about today I'm not really going to care about once I've 'solved' it. It's pretty sad really. I envy people who can have permanent hobbies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah it's taken me years to realize that this thing I'm so excited about today I'm not really going to care about once I've 'solved' it. It's pretty sad really. I envy people who can have permanent hobbies.
Heh, might explain why the heck I didn't know what to do after i built my lego sets...
I suggest having a good RPG (dragon age, KOTOR, fable), good sitcom (george lopez, seinfeld, the nanny), good anime (eg trigun, cowboy bebop, deathnote), ongoing car/motorcycle project/cleaning, a yard to work in, and experimental cooking with top ramen and just alternate your time around those. Should keep you busy for at least...a month or so :)

Most importantly for me, what I have found fulfilling/satisfying, clothes
My male, normal non homo non metro ENTJ friend introduced me into actually caring about what I dress like, and it opens up a world of opportunities for finding your own style and enjoying picking out things to wear.
Don't have to buy designer crap, just get something that fits well. If it doesn't fit and you have to have it, get it altered to your requirements. Wearing well fitting clothing that you actually like and appreciate is one of the best feelings I have ever felt. -end rant-

I find I am always interested in learning something new as long as I am not sleepy/tired

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find I am always interested in learning something new as long as I am not sleepy/tired
I used to feel that way, but now I'm annoyed by going down avenues of thought I've already explored well enough. Example: I used to be THE politics guru. I knew fucking everything about it 10 seconds after it happened and I donated money to scores of politicians.

Now I mark political emails as spam, and only really care about like 2 specific issues - foreign policy and the environment. Efforts on anything else just seem ineffective.

Same with poker. Used to be a guru, and now never want to hear anything about it again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like my experience with women...overly devoted and charming then once I "get" them I ignore and move on :frustrating:
You conquered your poker and politic journey and now on the the next conquest, at least that is how my ENTJ friend described it.

I would advise you to take expeditions that do not involve money / significant investment though, then if you end up not caring you have only lost time.

I am on the young side though so I don't know how my views will change in the next 5-10 years

cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like my experience with women...overly devoted and charming then once I "get" them I ignore and move on :frustrating:
Yeah I used to be that way. Eventually you'll have explored you charm ability well enough and have people figured out well enough that that won't happen to you anymore. Hopefully anyway - the joy of life is sharing it. Now I don't look to my partners for entertainment anymore, which is much healthier.

I'm 26 btw.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Now I don't look to my partners for entertainment anymore, which is much healthier.

I'm 26 btw.
21 here, interesting way to look at it not looking for entertainment in companion. Makes sense, thank you for the insight. Relieves a burden/expectation from them that they probable don't even know I placed there, and lets me focus on the more important aspects of the connection.
+1

cheers

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
I wonder if this happens to other ENTP's. I don't just loooovve learning ANYTHING at ANY TIME like some NT's do. I need a trigger. Maybe I'll be conversing with someone and they'll present me with some totally new and fascinating idea, and suddenly I'm FULL of energy, I just start voraciously ingesting as much as I can on the subject. Talking to others, researching online, planning what I'll do with it. This will go on for hours (I'll look at the clock and be shocked that it's already 3:30am), and eventually the day ends, I have to sleep. So I go to sleep thinking about all the new things I'm going to try tomorrow, and how this thing has totally changed my life, and omg it's so awesome ... And then the next day I wake up, look around in disbelief at the aftermath of my learning session (notes, stuff I got out) and I'm like "oh ... yeah, right .. I was meaning to work on that thing ... god, I'm hungry, well, maybe later on. Wow, my head hurts ..." And that initial spark of inspiration is just gone. And I just want to do something completely mindless. I see it sort of as mental overload, and the next day my thinking muscles are sore and they just need to rest.
Hahaha, although I wouldn't call it brain exhaustion I do know where the feeling. It's a rapid succession of thoughts which leads to an almost seemingly endless stream of possibilities and interesting tangents. Taking in new information doesn't really make my head hurt but strangely enough doing something mindless like playing video games for too long gives me headaches.

Word of advice? When you're in one of those moods, stay away from the computer at all costs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not necessarily sleep. Sometimes I get a meal, or talk to someone for a couple of minutes, or take a break, and the spark is gone. This is the mother of my unfinished projects.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yes, I alternate bursts of energy on new projects and having difficulty thinking about other stuff with a need to just stare at the wall.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most importantly for me, what I have found fulfilling/satisfying, clothes
My male, normal non homo non metro ENTJ friend introduced me into actually caring about what I dress like, and it opens up a world of opportunities for finding your own style and enjoying picking out things to wear.
Don't have to buy designer crap, just get something that fits well. If it doesn't fit and you have to have it, get it altered to your requirements. Wearing well fitting clothing that you actually like and appreciate is one of the best feelings I have ever felt. -end rant-
Yess! Probably different than what your process is, but acquiring nice clothes puts me in a really good mood. In my case it's very much vanity and power centered. But I really don't care.

Now I mark political emails as spam, and only really care about like 2 specific issues - foreign policy and the environment. Efforts on anything else just seem ineffective.
This is exactly what I was talking about. I do mailing lists too - I'll sign up thinking how terrific it will be to keep up with every new piece of information ... but after a while the messages build up, I accept that I ought to delete them, and then I eventually unsubscribe. I'd be an encyclopedia of knowledge if I'd actually stuck with all the things I've "meant" to keep up with in the past.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Brain exhaustion, I get that all the time. once I've pulled a couple consecutive allnighters to work on random projects that interest me for no particular reason I'm just overdrawn. that could be from lack of sleep though lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts